Fox pays settlement for lying about election fraud

I wish this had of gone to court.  Seeing Rupert Murdoch, Tucker Carlson and other fox news presenters on the stand having to admit they were deliberately lying about the election would of been so satisfying.  They knew they were guilty as emails, recordings proved it so to save face,  they payed the biggest payout ever.  Fox news should be taken off air as it is not news,  just propaganda and this proves it.  

Rupert Murdoch's Fox 'admits to telling lies' and settles defamation suit for $1.2 billion

The US judge overseeing Dominion Voting Systems' defamation lawsuit against Fox Corp and Fox News says the parties have reached a settlement, averting a trial.

Fox Corp and Fox News have settled a defamation lawsuit by Dominion Voting Systems for US$787.5 million ($1.2 billion), averting a high-profile trial putting one of the world's top media companies in the crosshairs over its coverage of false vote-rigging claims in the 2020 US election.

The settlement was announced by the two sides and the judge in the case at the 11th hour, with a jury selected on Tuesday morning in Delaware and the trial poised to kick off hours later with opening statements.
Dominion CEO John Poulos called the settlement "historic".

"Fox has admitted to telling lies about Dominion that caused enormous damage to my company, our employees and our customers," Mr Poulos said in a statement.

"Nothing can ever make up for that. Throughout this process, we have sought accountability and believe the evidence brought to light through this case underscores the consequences of spreading and endorsing lies."

At issue in the lawsuit was whether Fox was liable for airing the false claims that Denver-based Dominion's ballot-counting machines were used to manipulate the 2020 US election in favour of Democrat Joe Biden over Republican then-President Donald Trump.

Dominion had argued that these on-air claims caused the company "enormous and irreparable economic harm".

"We acknowledge the court's rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false," Fox said in a statement that was read on air on Fox News.

"This settlement reflects Fox's continued commitment to the highest journalistic standards.

"We are hopeful that our decision to resolve this dispute with Dominion amicably, instead of the acrimony of a divisive trial, allows the country to move forward from these issues."
Fox has plenty of cash to pay for a settlement.

It committed another US$3 billion ($4.5 billion) to buy back shares in the first quarter after revenues beat estimates.

Fox Corp CEO Lachlan Murdoch told Wall Street analysts in February the company had about US$4 billion ($5.9 billion) cash on hand.

Dominion lawyers declined to answer questions about whether Fox News would apologise publicly or make reforms.

Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric Davis, presiding over the case in Wilmington, had ordered a one-day trial postponement on Monday before another delay on Tuesday as the two sides hammered out a deal in private.

The deal spared Fox the peril of having some of its best-known figures called to the witness stand and subjected to potentially withering questioning, including executives such as Rupert Murdoch, the 92-year-old media mogul who serves as Fox Corp chairman, and Fox CEO Suzanne Scott as well as on-air hosts including Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and Jeanine Pirro.

The primary question for jurors was to be whether Fox knowingly spread false information or recklessly disregarded the truth, the standard of "actual malice" that Dominion must show to prevail in a defamation case.

In February court filings, Dominion cited a trove of internal communications in which Murdoch and other Fox figures privately acknowledged the vote-rigging claims made about Dominion on-air were false.

Dominion said Fox amplified the untrue claims to boost its ratings and prevent its viewers from migrating to other media competitors on the right including One America News Network, which Dominion is suing separately.

Fox Corp reported almost US$14 billion ($21 billion) in annual revenue last year.

"Fox's statement about the settlement makes clear that Fox acknowledges 'the court's ruling finding certain claims about Dominion were false," said Mary-Rose Papandrea, a constitutional law professor at the University of North Carolina School of Law.

"For many plaintiffs, a court holding, and admission by the defendant about falsity, are even more important than any actual money damages."

Says a lot about everything, isn’t it?

When I say our democracies are at stakes, it’s not too far from reality. Tragic. 
Money and greedy men lead us to our ruin. 

And then, you think about that clown, Trump, and his "fake news"… No matter what, 50% of Americans say they would vote for him. Crazy. And scary.

Well this is VERY IMPORTANT. Because now other right wing parties in other countries will not have that easily a mass media regurgitating their lies. Those firms in charge of the accountability for the voting will SUE.

The only problem is that the FOX viewers who watch this shit 24/7 won’t know that they were being lied to since a formal retraction / apology on air at their network is not part of the deal. A trial might have been the better route to go but that would have taken time and money talks, so I do get why they settled. 

3 hours ago, Cyber-Raga said:

The only problem is that the FOX viewers who watch this shit 24/7 won’t know that they were being lied to since a formal retraction / apology on air at their network is not part of the deal. A trial might have been the better route to go but that would have taken time and money talks, so I do get why they settled. 

Oh they know. They simply want their ideas validated. It happens in other issues in society. It even happens in this very forum. 

All to be paid by insurance policies as the network moves forward unharmed, none of its audience even knows that this legal case exists, and they just need to do the correct preparatory paperwork before a 2024 reprise.

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

Oh they know. They simply want their ideas validated. It happens in other issues in society. It even happens in this very forum. 

The executives and reporters know, but I’m not so sure about those indoctrinated viewers if they get they were being lied to. 

Tucker Carlson getting fired is huge. And you can't tell me he WAS NOT fired. He didn't even sign off of his own show and say goodbye to his viewers. 

I think there was probably A LOT of bullshit in those emails and texts from the Dominion lawsuit and it could've very well damaged him beyond repair with his cult like followers had it ever been published. It's well known to anyone outside the Fox News sphere that the guy is a total fraud and a fake populist. He comes from the Swanson chicken family so he's one of the most privileged White guys on the planet. A frat guy that never grew up. I'm sure they threatened him with whatever information that was recovered from all of that and forced him out. 

He'll land on his feet at some other batshit crazy network or start his own the way Glenn Beck did when he was fired. The positive is that any time one of these lunatics is fired - Bill O'Reilly, Beck, Lou Dobbs, Eric Bolling - they end up somewhere where their audience, clout, and influence is GREATLY diminished. The negative is that NONE of them ever really paid for their sins they way they should've. But America just a got EVER so slightly better without having that asshole spew his vile toxicity. I couldn't believe the nonsense he put out there regarding his obsession with WOKENESS, Trans issues, and especially his rewriting of history with January 6th. 

If there's a Hell, I hope he's down there shoveling shit for all eternity when he passes. 

Thanks for your input @KalamazooJay. I always appreciate to read your comments on American politics. Very enlightening.

This is what I find the craziest, right now : all these rich and white privileged males, spreading their bullshit, fake stories and hate everywhere, with thousands and thousands of followers... This is just insane. The 40-50 years old white male feels so threatened, that is so toxic.  

21 hours ago, runa said:

Thanks for your input @KalamazooJay. I always appreciate to read your comments on American politics. Very enlightening.

This is what I find the craziest, right now : all these rich and white privileged males, spreading their bullshit, fake stories and hate everywhere, with thousands and thousands of followers... This is just insane. The 40-50 years old white male feels so threatened, that is so toxic.  

Of course! Always love discussing politics in a civil and intelligent way. 

On 4/26/2023 at 12:58 AM, KalamazooJay said:

Tucker Carlson getting fired is huge. And you can't tell me he WAS NOT fired. He didn't even sign off of his own show and say goodbye to his viewers. 

I think there was probably A LOT of bullshit in those emails and texts from the Dominion lawsuit and it could've very well damaged him beyond repair with his cult like followers had it ever been published. It's well known to anyone outside the Fox News sphere that the guy is a total fraud and a fake populist. He comes from the Swanson chicken family so he's one of the most privileged White guys on the planet. A frat guy that never grew up. I'm sure they threatened him with whatever information that was recovered from all of that and forced him out. 

He'll land on his feet at some other batshit crazy network or start his own the way Glenn Beck did when he was fired. The positive is that any time one of these lunatics is fired - Bill O'Reilly, Beck, Lou Dobbs, Eric Bolling - they end up somewhere where their audience, clout, and influence is GREATLY diminished. The negative is that NONE of them ever really paid for their sins they way they should've. But America just a got EVER so slightly better without having that asshole spew his vile toxicity. I couldn't believe the nonsense he put out there regarding his obsession with WOKENESS, Trans issues, and especially his rewriting of history with January 6th. 

If there's a Hell, I hope he's down there shoveling shit for all eternity when he passes. 

23 hours ago, runa said:

2 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

Of course! Always love discussing politics in a civil and intelligent way. 

Yes,  love reading the comments on this section. 

It is often so hard to understand how on earth so many in the USA seem to be completely hoodwinked by these absolute toxic fakes who peddle rubbish like Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones.   I see so many Americans talking about politics in a rational engaged way and so to then see others just blindly worshipping  these guys and believing all the lies that they spew out so jarring and strange.