MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

Debuts at 1, 2 and 5- plus, it probably dropped a little in sales. :)

And just as further evidence how dance/electronic music has such a small commercial following in the USA- just 2 of the top 25 albums on the chart are certified- Gnarls Barkley and Madonna. COADF has the second-longest run of the albums currently on the chart- 1 week shy of Imogen Heap, who drops 2-4* in its 94th week (not even certified gold).

I hope that new shipments of TIC don't have that old-arse Truth or Dare sticker on it...

I still see those at the local Best Buy :D

I think what is going to hurt COAF sales a little and probably has as of last week is that Target pulled it from it's stores. When I went to Target the other day that had shipped back the rest of their COADF studio album and Confessions Tour albums. Which they recently had about 6-7 of each plus they pulled the stickers. They just have the Immaculate and through some left over Like a Virgin albums from the Rock & Roll hall of fame promotion.

Maybe they would sell better if they weren't always hidden behind Beyonce or whoever in the featured sections. *sigh*

I went to a Target in Buffalo, NY. They did not have a single Madonna album on the shelf.

I went to a Wal-Mart down the road. They had 2 TIC and one COADF.

I noticed that too. I finally picked up a copy of the remastered "Like A Virgin". They only had 2 copies of that and maybe one other album. On the bright side, a record store in Richmond, VA has a stock pile of every Madonna album and Maxi-single. Very cool to browse through.

Guest nothingfails0603

yikes, removing the album from Target stores did in fact have an effect, the album held on for so long on the Electronic albums chart

Maybe they would sell better if they weren't always hidden behind Beyonce or whoever in the featured sections. *sigh*

I noticed that too. I finally picked up a copy of the remastered "Like A Virgin". They only had 2 copies of that and maybe one other album. On the bright side, a record store in Richmond, VA has a stock pile of every Madonna album and Maxi-single. Very cool to browse through.

What store in Richmond, VA has every maxi-single and album?

yikes, removing the album from Target stores did in fact have an effect, the album held on for so long on the Electronic albums chart

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that is the definitive cause without seeing sales figures. After all, the album was going to drop gradually at some point, and as fall approaches, we are seeing more and more debuts.

Most definitely- the album had to drop further down at some point. It's not like "Hung Up" is played 300 times a week or sumthin'- most of the recurrent play the singles get are at the small # of USA dance stations.

There's no Madonna CDs at my Target now- there's still a place card for COAD though. The local Wal-Mart has 1 COAD and 2 TIC. They have endless supply of Garth Brooks (who sells his stuff through them only)- they know their clientel, huh? I haven't been to the NYC and Virgin for weeks and I'm beginning to appreciate the effort someone probably has to make just to get a copy of a random Madonna album like Erotica.

There's no Madonna CDs at my Target now- there's still a place card for COAD though. The local Wal-Mart has 1 COAD and 2 TIC. They have endless supply of Garth Brooks (who sells his stuff through them only)- they know their clientel, huh? I haven't been to the NYC and Virgin for weeks and I'm beginning to appreciate the effort someone probably has to make just to get a copy of a random Madonna album like Erotica.

Well, I am sure most people could just get it online if they really wanted it. In fact, most people I know either buy music via iTunes (or the like) or Amazon.com. This is probably a major factor in why so many retail outlets are continually slashing their music departments and whole record chains are going under.

I find it strange that one has to buy old Madonna CDs online in the US. Everytime I go to HMV or Virgin (or small retailers) in the UK or Spain I find at least one copy and most of the times more copies of every Madonna album.

Are catalog albums difficult to find in the US in general?

I find it strange that one has to buy old Madonna CDs online in the US. Everytime I go to HMV or Virgin (or small retailers) in the UK or Spain I find at least one copy and most of the times more copies of every Madonna album.

I was really surprised with the music stores in DC this summer: they are really bad.I used to think that the ones in my city were the worst, but they even have madonna´s singles (OK, only in Fnac,but "El corte inglés", the other big one, has all madonna´s CDs)!!!! and in DC, well, I saw COADF, Erotica, AL, And LAV all the time, but LAP for example...no.On the other hand, she was probably the only artist with maxis, but only her last ones, Get together and Jump.

That was just a rumor. One person reported it from their local Target store. It does not mean every Target store in the USA took COADF off their shelves.

There are *5* debuts above the album on the chart. The album dropped *4* places.

W/E 8/26/07

(Excluding Evita and WTG- neither of which sell significantly, esp. the latter)

I noticed there's a listing for GHV2, released 9/12/05- I believe that's when Madge's catalog hit iTunes- so that may be for the digital release- it has scanned 2,960 to date.

1. The Immaculate Collection: 1,923

2. Like a Virgin: 214

3. Madonna: 178

4. Ray of Light: 166

5. GHV2: 165

6. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 115

7. Like a Prayer: 113

8. True Blue: 93

9. Something to Remember: 99

10. Music: 79

11. Ciao, Italia: 77

12. Girlie Show: 65

13. Erotica: 53

14. American Life: 52

15. The Video Collection: 52

16. Bedtime Stories: 46

17. Drowned World Tour: 41

18. Remixed & Revisited: 40

19. You Can Dance: 35

20. I'm Breathless: 35

COADF-And-Beyond-Era Releases

(cumes rounded off to nearest 5)

Confessions on a Dance Floor: 720- 1,643,538 cume

The Confessions Tour: 540- 113,292 cume

I'm Going to Tell You a Secret: 62

Jump: 51

Sorry: 36

Hung Up: 33

Get Together: 33

I can't believe GHV2 sold less than LAV, Madonna and ROL! It should be at No.2 on that list.

Still pleased that COADF managed to sell 720 copies, especially when we're quite close to the release of a new studio album.

As we've seen from discussion on this board, GHV2 has some strikes against it. None the less that it doesn't have anything on the cover indicating what the devil it is! (unless one squints real hard to see the GHV2 in her eye).

Really, though- it's a shame that it didn't get better treatment. I would never expect it to sell at TIC-like levels, but certainly it should be selling better than what it is. It has nice packaging with all those pics- not the best back- it simply should have the tracks listed as they are on TIC, just running down the page- save the writing, publishing, etc. credits for the inside.