Brexit / British politics thread 🤡

LSD

On 10/27/2022 at 6:12 PM, karbatal said:

In Spain that is exactly the image that we have of British people: obnoxious drunks. I guess we are the only country not surprised with what happens in the British government :lmao:

Outside of Europe, everybody has an image of British people as like in Downtown Abbey/Royal family, all posh and formal. 

4 hours ago, Creepy Insane Person said:

Outside of Europe, everybody has an image of British people as like in Downtown Abbey/Royal family, all posh and formal. 

I'm surprised you had time to type that in between throwing another shrimp on the barbie, sipping some Fosters on the beach and stroking yer pet dingo.

9 minutes ago, Kim said:

Scotpol is a binfire right now as this damn EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN is vying to replace Queen NIc!

RECORD1.jpg

:mellow::imsad:  I still am so sad about Nicola resigning.  I read today where Kate Forbes said she would not have voted yes to gay marriage.   Hope she does not become leader of the SNP. 

12 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

:mellow::imsad:  I still am so sad about Nicola resigning.  I read today where Kate Forbes said she would not have voted yes to gay marriage.   Hope she does not become leader of the SNP. 

I can't see how a progressive social democratic party can have her at the helm. I'll defect to the Greens if they do!

No one really decent has come forward to stand tho - prob because of all the shit they'd get from the unhinged unionists/msm which Nicola was great at deflecting.

All very depressing!

10 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Wow those ideas belong to some far right party. 

She's a mad bible basher from some weird Highland church and getting rightly rinsed from most people. 

I think Humza Yousef, who's a Muslim and supports gay marriage, right to abortion etc will win. He's a nice guy (gets an incredible amount of racist abuse on twitter) but just rather... uninspiring for my taste

27 minutes ago, Kim said:

She's a mad bible basher from some weird Highland church and getting rightly rinsed from most people. 

I think Humza Yousef, who's a Muslim and supports gay marriage, right to abortion etc will win. He's a nice guy (gets an incredible amount of racist abuse on twitter) but just rather... uninspiring for my taste

Nicola is a very tough act to follow. Very few politicians inspire nowadays. Maybe some have charisma but to feel inspired by their ideas, behavior and strength is very rare. There’s a female politician in Spain called Yolanda Diaz who is one of those rare avis. I love her. It’s curious that all inspiring politicians nowadays are women. Frankly I think Nicola should have waited until the possible referendum in Scotland is solved and voted. 

4 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Nicola is a very tough act to follow. Very few politicians inspire nowadays. Maybe some have charisma but to feel inspired by their ideas, behavior and strength is very rare. There’s a female politician in Spain called Yolanda Diaz who is one of those rare avis. I love her. It’s curious that all inspiring politicians nowadays are women. Frankly I think Nicola should have waited until the possible referendum in Scotland is solved and voted. 

Yeah I agree. I think Nicola also chose to leave because she's reached a stalemate with the independence issue. UK govt says no, Supreme Court says no and her idea that an election acting as a defacto referendum would somehow prompt the UK govt to suddenly enter negotiations is really just a non starter. Someone new will need to come up with some other strategy. BUT If Forbes somehow gets elected (and the msm are already pushing for her because they know how divisive it would be) then the whole thing is fucked.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything Brexit related is such a mess that at this point I wonder how any brexiteer could be happy. 

Funny thing is that in the EU the UK is barely missed. There is zero news about anything negative for the EU after Brexit. 

Do people in UK know that around 5 British people a year die in Spain falling from a balcony because they are very drunk? In 2018 they were 11. In Spain we call these deaths “balconing” and today happened the first one of this season. It only happens with British tourists. 

On 3/25/2023 at 8:58 PM, karbatal said:

Do people in UK know that around 5 British people a year die in Spain falling from a balcony because they are very drunk? In 2018 they were 11. In Spain we call these deaths “balconing” and today happened the first one of this season. It only happens with British tourists. 

We know that holidays are close when we heard about the first english man killing himself from a balcony.

9 hours ago, promise to try said:

and porobably is true in the big cities, but in smaller towns...

I guess it depends on where those smaller towns are. The smaller towns in more rural areas, especially in Wales, will sooner or later realize that all major infrastructure and culture programs were funded fully or in parts by the EU. At some point they will be in the same position as they were before the UK joined the EU. A position without any money to fund any projects because London simply doesn't care for those little towns. To me it has been one of the biggest shocks of the Brexit that even towns that should know better voted in favor of Brexit. Many of those seaside towns that were basically sh*tholes before the EU. Dirty beaches, polluted water. The EU funded the clean up to turn them into those pretty little towns, people travel to for holiday. How ungrateful. 

58 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

I guess it depends on where those smaller towns are. The smaller towns in more rural areas, especially in Wales, will sooner or later realize that all major infrastructure and culture programs were funded fully or in parts by the EU. At some point they will be in the same position as they were before the UK joined the EU. A position without any money to fund any projects because London simply doesn't care for those little towns. To me it has been one of the biggest shocks of the Brexit that even towns that should know better voted in favor of Brexit. Many of those seaside towns that were basically sh*tholes before the EU. Dirty beaches, polluted water. The EU funded the clean up to turn them into those pretty little towns, people travel to for holiday. How ungrateful. 

exactly... small towns in ENGLAND.... not so much as for small towns in Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland.

like I said I've only been to London... but totally look forward to experiencing smaller English towns in the future, no matter how stupid people there may or may not be 😛 

3 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Actually Wales were the starting point of the investigation that uncovered Cambridge Analytica. A journalist from Wales, working for The Guardian, was so incredibly surprised at the results, because ALL new infrastructures and projects there had a gigantic poster explaining the EU fund . It turned out that the population got so much propaganda in Facebook against refugees and immigrants that they voted Brexit. Even though in those villages there was almost NONE immigration! So those who voted Brexit there are racists motherfuckers and serves them right whatever happens to them. Cunts.