Brexit / British politics thread 🤡

LSD

On 10/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, karbatal said:

I think normal Britons should thinking of emigrate. If only one week was enough to bring back Tories as second political force then it is really a lost cause 

Refugees Welcome' Pegatina | Spreadshirt

people my age from my area are obssessed with the children learning english, and having the queen´s accent...they can work taking care of the children in the parks, as baby siters. Of course, to work in the fields that they have studied, they will need to show a proficiency in spanish-basque-catalonian or whatever language is spoken in the place we have received them, with perfect accent because we only understand people with perfect accent,but their salaries may be lower.And they have to pay taxes here, not in India.

They ´ll also have to learn that at 17.00 we drink coffee, not tea or alcohol, they will have to avoid balconies, and porridge will be forbidden

Of course, I´m try to be ironic, it´s a joke (but that´s what happens to a lot of people when they have to escape their country)

17 minutes ago, promise to try said:

Refugees Welcome' Pegatina | Spreadshirt

people my age from my area are obssessed with the children learning english, and having the queen´s accent...they can work taking care of the children in the parks, as baby siters. Of course, to work in the fields that they have studied, they will need to show a proficiency in spanish-basque-catalonian or whatever language is spoken in the place we have received them, with perfect accent because we only understand people with perfect accent,but their salaries may be lower.And they have to pay taxes here, not in India.

They ´ll also have to learn that at 17.00 we drink coffee, not tea or alcohol, they will have to avoid balconies, and porridge will be forbidden

Of course, I´m try to be ironic, it´s a joke (but that´s what happens to a lot of people when they have to escape their country)

:lmao:

“Avoid balconies”

On 10/31/2022 at 3:15 PM, LSD said:

That's the express though. Only old ladies read that and they're probably not happy there's an Indian doing the top job.

Sunak has stabilized the markets and is generally seen as a safe pair of hands. The Tories won't be getting rid of him as there is literally nobody left who is any better. 

10 hours ago, jonski43 said:

That's the express though. Only old ladies read that and they're probably not happy there's an Indian doing the top job.

Sunak has stabilized the markets and is generally seen as a safe pair of hands. The Tories won't be getting rid of him as there is literally nobody left who is any better. 

I am not sure his appointments make him be seen as a safe pair of hands? At least outside the UK all seems the same mess. Maybe inside the UK it seems or is better.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, karbatal said:

I am not sure his appointments make him be seen as a safe pair of hands? At least outside the UK all seems the same mess. Maybe inside the UK it seems or is better.

Yeah he's made more headlines for his disgusting cabinet of either extreme right wingers or extreme incompetents more than anything. I guess good old fashioned recession/low growth/extreme austerity is seen as competent when compared with the economic Armageddon Truss almost caused...

Anyway the media narrative has now moved onto migrants and their "invasion" of England...as it always does when they're looking to distract from everything else.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, karbatal said:

Everything is relative. Plenty want Boris back but he's still being investigated for lying and if found guilty could trigger a general election which the Tories don't want to risk. Sunak is generally regarded to have handled the COVID situation pretty well and there is literally nobody else who seems capable. I think Gove has stabbed too many people in the back. 

But yes, the markets stabilised, the pound went up and things settled down when he was appointed. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, promise to try said:

what does "swiss-style mean? I´ve tried to read the article but is not free

It means to access the eu market and grants and schemes but not being a member of the club. They keep much political sovereignty but of course they have to accept the four fundamental freedoms of the EU: movement, capital, goods and services. And contribute to the EU budget. Difference between Switzerland and UK is that Switzerland is rich and the UK isn’t anymore. 

The UK will not have to integrate directives not related to those freedoms but they can’t have a voice in long term decisions. 

There will be no "swiss deal". The EU has said so before. Not even the Swiss would get a "swiss deal" nowadays. The original agreement goes back to the 60s or 70s. Way too complicated for todays needs. The EU and Switzerland have negotiated for ages to get a more modern agreement. I think negotiations were stopped last year from the Swiss side. 

And as Karby mentioned, such deal would include all the things the UK wanted to get rid off. Especially freedom of movement. Do they realize that around 25% of the residents of Switzerland are not Swiss citizens. 25%! I mean, isn't that a horror scenario from the UK point of view. All those foreigners? But I guess, they would like to differ between good and bad foreigners? And since most of those 25% are from Germany, Austria and Italy, those are good foreigners? And Torys wouldn't mind having those in the UK as well. But please, no people from Eastern Europe. Too bad, this isn't pick and choose. When will they finally learn that lesson?

1 hour ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

There will be no "swiss deal". The EU has said so before. Not even the Swiss would get a "swiss deal" nowadays. The original agreement goes back to the 60s or 70s. Way too complicated for todays needs. The EU and Switzerland have negotiated for ages to get a more modern agreement. I think negotiations were stopped last year from the Swiss side. 

And as Karby mentioned, such deal would include all the things the UK wanted to get rid off. Especially freedom of movement. Do they realize that around 25% of the residents of Switzerland are not Swiss citizens. 25%! I mean, isn't that a horror scenario from the UK point of view. All those foreigners? But I guess, they would like to differ between good and bad foreigners? And since most of those 25% are from Germany, Austria and Italy, those are good foreigners? And Torys wouldn't mind having those in the UK as well. But please, no people from Eastern Europe. Too bad, this isn't pick and choose. When will they finally learn that lesson?

It is funny too that some UK political figures think that the EU needs the UK. I wonder when will they open their eyes. 

At the very least, rejoining the single market is a no brainer. The UK economy is DEAD in the water and can't even trade properly with its closest neighbours.

Problem is all the English parties are terrified of even mentioning the B word... including terminally useless Labour... so on and on it trundles until everything's so unbearable that something is finally done and we end up with some shit deal in the EU miles worse than we had before.

All so utterly pointless.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, karbatal said:

Omg @Kim Nichola resigns! Is it all because of the TERFS? I find difficult to keep track with Scottish politics because Twitter is incredibly full of vicious anti Nicola. From the outside she’s a great politician. 

Terrible news! I think she's just had enough and is fed up with all the constant bullshit that frames everything around her as a person rather than the party or the government - via our consistently hostile media (controlled by another country) and the culture war crap going on everywhere. It has to be tiring. Also I don't think she wants to tie the indy movement into her plan on how to move it forward if she's not able to see it through with the energy/vigour needed so best to hand the mantle over.

She's still incredibly popular and I'm really disappointed as it was so refreshing to have a leader to actually be proud of but oh well.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Terrible news! I think she's just had enough and is fed up with all the constant bullshit that frames everything around her as a person rather than the party or the government - via our consistently hostile media (controlled by another country) and the culture war crap going on everywhere. It has to be tiring. Also I don't think she wants to tie the indy movement into her plan on how to move it forward if she's not able to see it through with the energy/vigour needed so best to hand the mantle over.

She's still incredibly popular and I'm really disappointed as it was so refreshing to have a leader to actually be proud of but oh well.

OMG Kim,  I am shocked.   I love Nicola Sturgeon.  I noticed how the vile right wing press had turned on her so much and was constantly writing dreadful opinion pieces of her.  Really sad to hear she was resigned.  

Is there a valid replacement?

It is disgusting how nowadays media (controlled by hedge funds and such) point the attacks to the person and this is not the first time that one politician has to resign. It has happened in Spain too. Meanwhile corrupt ones keep in active. 

It is especially disgusting in UK because one politician (Joe Cox) was killed during the Brexit campaign! 

5 minutes ago, karbatal said:

It is disgusting how nowadays media (controlled by hedge funds and such) point the attacks to the person and this is not the first time that one politician has to resign. It has happened in Spain too. Meanwhile corrupt ones keep in active. 

It is especially disgusting in UK because one politician (Joe Cox) was killed during the Brexit campaign! 

The right wing press is beyond disgusting.  They did the same to Jacinda Ardern too.  She also has resigned.  

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

OMG Kim,  I am shocked.   I love Nicola Sturgeon.  I noticed how the vile right wing press had turned on her so much and was constantly writing dreadful opinion pieces of her.  Really sad to hear she was resigned.  

I was so shocked too! Going by her resignation speech she's just had enough and can't really blame her. The misogyny and abuse is off the scale.

33 minutes ago, karbatal said:

No one that noteworthy. Nic had the common touch as well as being a consummate politician and great communicator - big heels to fill.

Gotta laugh at the risible media take that Labour will somehow have a resurgence here now tho - the Labour that today banned Corbyn from even running as a Labour candidate in the next election - God awful red tories. 

1 hour ago, Kim said:

I like Mhairi Black as a possible replacement, though she's a bit rough around the edges. The abuse she gets online is already bad, I dread to think how much worse it would get.

Love what she is saying here.  

I am getting so frustrated by how the Murdoch and right wing media are demonizing people with that dreaded "woke" tag as if it is something to be ashamed of.  Changed the meaning completely.  And then seeing so many people just repeating the same criticisms without even thinking about what they are criticising. If taxing the multi million dollar companies, billionaires etc is what people are now up in arms about ( which seems to be the case )  it is mind boggling.  

I am so shocked about Nicola resigning.  With all of the absolute garbage she is copping from the right wing press though,  I can understand why.  It must be soul destroying to have mud thrown at you whilst trying to do what is beat for the everyday person.  

3 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Love what she is saying here.  

I am getting so frustrated by how the Murdoch and right wing media are demonizing people with that dreaded "woke" tag as if it is something to be ashamed of.  Changed the meaning completely.  And then seeing so many people just repeating the same criticisms without even thinking about what they are criticising. If taxing the multi million dollar companies, billionaires etc is what people are now up in arms about ( which seems to be the case )  it is mind boggling.  

I am so shocked about Nicola resigning.  With all of the absolute garbage she is copping from the right wing press though,  I can understand why.  It must be soul destroying to have mud thrown at you whilst trying to do what is beat for the everyday person.  

I'm proudly woke! The world is sickening right now. The massive inequality is unsustainable and something's gotta give at some point.

Still sad about Nicola. I was watching some vox pops yesterday and many women especially were saying they were upset and some had even been crying. I think we underestimate the importance of having  *relatable* women in positions of power and influence for other women. But I think in Nicola's case she realised that her persona had become too big and polarizing as she says here... and typified by the trans debate which was cross party legislation but suddenly became about her alone - typified by Rowling putting her name on a T shirt etc. 

image.png

5 minutes ago, runa said:

That must be a joke, right? 

Nope!

Soon those against Nicola and others because of supporting trans rights will be ashamed of themselves. Spain passed the law this week that allows starting the process at 16. Just like the Netherlands. This will be exactly as gay marriage. A domino effect. Nicola was right. And I hope the next Scottish leader follows her path. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Soon those against Nicola and others because of supporting trans rights will be ashamed of themselves. Spain passed the law this week that allows starting the process at 16. Just like the Netherlands. This will be exactly as gay marriage. A domino effect. Nicola was right. And I hope the next Scottish leader follows her path. 

Yes I remember seeing that both countries passed a similar bill on the same week. Lucky for you that Spain doesn't have a neighbouring country that can just decide that no, that bill you just passed isn't to their liking and can legislate to make sure you don't make it law at all...

Anyway the reform was in the SNP manifesto, supported by the majority and wasn't considered controversial at all until the UK govt decided to make it part of their culture war crap. I'm sure it will pass eventually after some legal hurdles. Meanwhile some poor trans girl was murdered by two teenagers this past weekend in England. Not seen Rowling say anything about that funnily enough...