Vicious attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband in their home

Jazzy Jan

Nancy Pelosi: family ‘heartbroken and traumatized’ by brutal attack on her husband

House speaker Nancy Pelosi said her family is “heartbroken and traumatized” after a brutal and bloody hammer assault on her husband that has shocked the US as it stands on the brink of tense and crucial midterm elections.

An intruder smashed his way through a rear door into the Pelosi’s house in San Francisco on Friday. The man confronted Paul Pelosi and shouted, “Where is Nancy.”

Paul Pelosi, 82, underwent surgery to repair a skull fracture and serious injuries to his right arm and hands but his doctors expect a full recovery. However, the brutal attack – by a man who had posted online right-wing conspiracy theories – came amid rising warnings of political violence in the US.

In her first official statement on the attack, Nancy Pelosi said: “A violent man broke into our family home, demanded to confront me and brutally attacked my husband Paul. Our children, our grandchildren and I are heartbroken and traumatized by the life-threatening attack on our Pop.”

She added: “We are grateful for the quick response of law enforcement and emergency services, and for the life-saving medical care he is receiving. Please know that the outpouring of prayers and warm wishes from so many in the Congress is a comfort to our family and is helping Paul make progress with his recovery.”

Paul Pelosi remains in the hospital but “his condition continues to improve”, the speaker said.

The attacker now faces charges of attempted murder and other felonies.

David DePape, 42, has been named by police as the attacker. Formal charges will be filed on Monday, and his arraignment is expected on Tuesday, according to the San Francisco district attorney’s office.

In recent posts on several websites, he had reportedly expressed support for former president Donald Trump and embraced the cult-like conspiracy theory QAnon. The rambling posts included references to “satanic pedophilia”, aliens, antisemitic tropes and criticism of women, transgender people and censorship by tech companies.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Thought this would get a mention in the US politics thread but the drip-drip of fascicm in the US doesn't seem to get as much traction since Trump left office.

Sadly, I think this type of thing is becoming normalized and expected......even justified by some (prob not so much in this forum but generally speaking....def have read some "well, she had it coming..." type commentary). It's disgusting.

I was surprised that nothing regarding the 1/6 hearings was discussed here. There were so many shocking revelations. The indifference to blatant fascism and radical extremism is incredibly frightening and not something I thought I'd ever see in my lifetime. 

On 10/31/2022 at 4:14 AM, Kurt420 said:

Sadly, I think this type of thing is becoming normalized and expected......even justified by some (prob not so much in this forum but generally speaking....def have read some "well, she had it coming..." type commentary). It's disgusting.

I was surprised that nothing regarding the 1/6 hearings was discussed here. There were so many shocking revelations. The indifference to blatant fascism and radical extremism is incredibly frightening and not something I thought I'd ever see in my lifetime. 

Yes, I thought it would be discussed everywhere too. I think too that people are becoming too complacent regarding Trump and the way the Republican Party have been hijacked by right wing extremists and conspiracy Nutcases.  Only 10 years ago, the events against democracy on January 6th would of had BOTH parties horrified and would of been frowned on by virtually everyone. 

Now with Fox News and Murdoch media dominating so much, it legitimises behaviour and actions that would never have once been tolerated 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, Kurt420 said:

I've been following all of it, especially the 1/6 hearings that are just absolutely mind-blowing. Those hearings alone should be the biggest wake up call. The future feels bleak.