Anguish of young man who had sex organs removed on NHS then regretted it the same day

horn

Anguish of young man who had sex organs removed on NHS then regretted it the same day... as he SUES NHS over gender reassignment surgery

• The unnamed man has said doctors did not warn him about the drastic outcome of gender reassignment surgery which has left him infertile and incontinent 
  • Campaigners say it is first medical negligence case over NHS transgender care
  • He claims he was asked about surgery but delayed as he had doubts but went ahead over fears care he had been receiving for his gender problems would stop 
  • On Twitter, the man said that he had been effectively 'castrated' by the surgery 

By SUE REID for Daily Mail  | PUBLISHED: 22:00 BST, 23 June 2022

A young British man who had his genitals removed during gender reassignment surgery is suing the NHS over the operation in a historic legal action.

He complains that doctors did not warn him of the drastic outcome of the body-altering surgery which has left him infertile, incontinent and feeling like a ‘sexual eunuch’.

He said on Twitter yesterday: ‘The minute I woke up from surgery, I knew I had made the biggest mistake of my life.’

Campaigners say that it is the first medical negligence case over NHS transgender care in this country. The NHS trust involved has not been named.

Stephanie Davies-Arai, founder of Transgender Trend, a group advising parents on transgender children and young adults, said: ‘It is hoped this will force a re-think by the NHS about this kind of barbaric surgery on patients who are told by medics it will help them.

‘He has a very real case for compensation against the heath service. We believe he has suffered harm.’

His case has been taken on by lawyers in Liverpool. It centres on whether the NHS and its gender clinics adequately counselled him before the operation five years ago. The patient, in his thirties, was brought up in the North of England and has de-transitioned from being a woman to live as a man again.

The man says he is gay and his sexuality should have been discussed before the radical, irreversible gender surgery. ‘I have been castrated. That is the correct term,’ he says on his Twitter feed, which has 19,000 followers.

‘I cannot believe they [the NHS] were allowed to do this to me.

‘I was not even asked if I wanted to freeze my sperm, or have kids in the future.’ He does not want to be named because he is ashamed of how he looks. Instead, he tweets under the pseudonym TullipR.

Yesterday, he posted a picture of his huge bundle of medical notes which will be used by his lawyers to bring the case against the NHS.

TullipR says he transitioned at 25, more than a decade ago, and started taking female hormones to feminise his body. This was followed by surgery when he underwent an NHS operation called ‘penile inversion with scrotal graft’ which removes male genitalia and uses the tissue to construct a false vagina.

He says he grew up in the North East of England. ‘I knew deep down from a young age I was gay and was deeply terrified of it,’ he says in his tweets describing his past. ‘Everyone in the family joked and expressed disgust and disapproval of gay people.’

He withdrew into an online world where he felt at peace. There, at 23, he found discussions about gender dysphoria, the fear of living in the wrong sexual body. ‘That’s me, I thought.’

He found an internet forum called ‘Angels’ which was directed at trans women – men who wish to be women.

They urged him to transition ‘now’, before it was ‘too late’. He says that he latched on to the idea with zeal.

He took female hormone drugs bought privately, and later prescribed by his GP and an adult NHS gender clinic, to suppress his male characteristics and look feminine. But when a NHS psychiatrist asked him if he wanted gender reassignment surgery (GRS), he delayed for two years because he had doubts.

Worried that if he refused he would be denied NHS treatment for his gender problems, he finally agreed.

His tweets explain: ‘Eventually I found myself on the operating table. Immediately on waking up from surgery, I knew I had made the biggest mistake of my life.

‘My sex had been lobotomised.’

After surgery, he confronted his GP about his doubts.

He claims they shrugged and said there was no guidance for those who regretted the surgery and treatment. The tweets go on: ‘I have no sensation in my crotch region at all. You could stab me with a knife. I wouldn’t know. The entire region is numb. No one ever told me that the base area of your penis is left. It can’t be removed. It means you have a stump inside which twitches.’

TullipR says his sex drive died about six months after he began taking female hormones.

I was glad to be rid of it, but now I realize what I am missing and I won't get back. He describes the ‘living nightmare’ of waking up and forgetting that he has lost his penis and scrotum. ‘I expect something that was there for three decades, and it’s not. My heart skips a beat, every damn time.’

In the tweets, he describes how the operation has left him struggling to relieve himself. ‘It takes me about 10 minutes to empty my bladder. It is extremely slow, painful, and because it dribbles... it will then go all over the entire area, leaving me soaking.

‘I find moments later my underwear is wet. It slowly drips out for more than an hour. I never knew that I would risk smelling of p*** everywhere I go.’

According to the NHS last year, 13,500 people were waiting for an initial appointment for gender identity treatment which can lead to reassignment surgery.

The clinic with the shortest waiting time for a first appointment was the flagship Tavistock and Portman Clinic in north-west London which was, at the time, nearly three years.

I'm surprised NHS didn't tell him he won't be able to get his dick back, won't be able to give birth with his man-made vagina for the past 5 years before the operation.

2 hours ago, horn said:

I'm surprised NHS didn't tell him he won't be able to get his dick back, won't be able to give birth with his man-made vagina for the past 5 years before the operation.

:lmao:

He has a good case? I highly doubt that. Sounds more of a typical case of putting the blame on someone else because the result is not satisfying in one way or the other. The Daily Mail makes it appear as if the guy went into surgery as if this was an appointment at the barbershop. Let's chop it off. The whole story sounds ridiculous. You get gender assignment surgery (MTF), of course your dick is cut off. And I'm pretty sure the whole procedure, with all risk and side effects, has been explained to him in detail. Not only this, I would like to believe any trans person will gather information what the whole process of transitioning means. He didn't do that? Hard to believe. And that comment about losing his sex drive when given female hormones? I cannot help but to think this guy is incredibly dumb or is making sh*t up for whatever reason. 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:45 PM, ULIZOS said:

1. The right will cling to these one-offs to say "SEE!"

2. This reminds me of this

One-offs? That's the problem, they're not. There are more and more people coming forward saying they're regretting transitioning.

Now the lawsuits are coming which will mean medical institutions will probably not want to perform these kind of operations if it's going to expose them to costly legal action. 

9 hours ago, jonski43 said:

One-offs? That's the problem, they're not. There are more and more people coming forward saying they're regretting transitioning.

Now the lawsuits are coming which will mean medical institutions will probably not want to perform these kind of operations if it's going to expose them to costly legal action. 

But on the other hand, there's a lot of people happy with their transition I guess?

It's their body and their rights to do whatever they want.

Transition is not hair cut thingy where hair will grow back after a while.

These people should've thought very carefully when making such major decision.

I believe they need to sign certain consent form and go through multiple counselling session for years before the actual operation. These medical institutions are not dumb enough to get themselves into trouble.

1 hour ago, horn said:

But on the other hand, there's a lot of people happy with their transition I guess?

It's their body and their rights to do whatever they want.

Transition is not hair cut thingy where hair will grow back after a while.

These people should've thought very carefully when making such major decision.

I believe they need to sign certain consent form and go through multiple counselling session for years before the actual operation. These medical institutions are not dumb enough to get themselves into trouble.

Of course not but the fact that this guy is going to court will be worrying for them. He must think he has a case. This also includes young people put on puberty blockers. Someone was in the paper recently saying he's now incontinent, infertile and got brittle bones (IIRC) as a result of them and said he wasn't aware of the side effects. 

It only takes a few cases with large payouts to force change. 

This is such a minefield of an area that I think we'll see a lot more cases in the future. 

11 hours ago, domyeyebrows said:

Daily Mail, that paragon of truth and compassion.

It's the same sort of thing from The Guardian or whatever else, failing nation-states need scapegoats and Britain's ruling oligarchs are pushing a mass hysteria as economic and cultural decay metastasize into full systemic collapse that chronic political dysfunction is unable to address in any way.

43 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Of course not but the fact that this guy is going to court will be worrying for them. He must think he has a case. This also includes young people put on puberty blockers. Someone was in the paper recently saying he's now incontinent, infertile and got brittle bones (IIRC) as a result of them and said he wasn't aware of the side effects. 

It only takes a few cases with large payouts to force change. 

This is such a minefield of an area that I think we'll see a lot more cases in the future. 

It really is a minefield of an area in so many respects.

With LGB individuals it was far more cut and dried: afford the the same rights as heterosexual couples because we're no different than you other than we love the same sex.

This is a much more delicate dance in terms shifting public approval and acceptance because it's a iteral and complete surgical, hormonal, and physical change of human beings from one sex to another. Especially when it comes to children and teenagers. Are we granting the wishes and giving in to the many phases adolescents go through to appease them in the moment without thinking of the long term consequences? Are THEY thinking with full clarity during puberty at the age of 12, 13, 14 in terms of gender identity? Is social media influencing a lot of them during this time of self expression and exploration into thinking a full blown surgery is necessary for their own personal gender acceptance? Are parents pulling the trigger too fast if their son wears high heels (which many gay men do as a kid) or their daughter goes through a tom boy phase?

But if you ask these questions, you're espousing right wing talking points or being transphobic. But I think they're completely fair questions to ask when it comes to all of this. 

For the record, I wasn't saying this is a non-issue. My point is that right-wing media outlets, such as the Daily Mail, use these types of stories to support their anti-trans viewpoints. 

That language of the entire article is clearly biased and intended to make readers feel like the entire trans movement is wrong. Example: 

‘It is hoped this will force a re-think by the NHS about this kind of barbaric surgery on patients who are told by medics it will help them.'

:rolleyes:

It's not intended to spark a healthy debate on a very complex topic.

28 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

For the record, I wasn't saying this is a non-issue. My point is that right-wing media outlets, such as the Daily Mail, use these types of stories to support their anti-trans viewpoints. 

That language of the entire article is clearly biased and intended to make readers feel like the entire trans movement is wrong. Example: 

:rolleyes:

It's not intended to spark a healthy debate on a very complex topic.

100%. People should not fall for this kind of "journalism". There is an agenda and I think it is kinda obvious. Keep in mind how this is the same media that paid Davids father a few pounds and fed him with the weirdest stories to manipulate the poor man into saying he never wanted to give up his son for adoption. 

I have said it before, this is a very complex and time consuming process. This is not some lighthearted decision with unanswered questions. The contrary is true. From my knowledge, the psychological evaluation takes several years and the decision of the patient is constantly questioned to challenge the patient to think this through. With all consequence. And those are known. NO ONE can tell me the patient asking for the final operation is not fully aware what happens and what the side effects and complications are. Those operations are usually done in only a handful of highly specialized hospitals. To suggest the patient has not been informed fully is the most ridiculous thing ever. It is a bad attempt to paint a picture of irresponsible or negligent doctors to create a certain narrative in a highly politicized debate.