Australia Votes 21 May

16 hours ago, Paul said:

Great news! I was back in Melbourne last week, made sure I voted! Its astonishing how the media was sooooooooo one-sided, and now having to make up excuses for being so out of touch with the people. Why cant they just accept that voters just dont want that rubbish.

It was actually nice to be living outside Australia and not having to listen to Australian (politics) news all the time, but when I got back to Australia, the biggest news headline was all about some car accident from years ago, than Dan was not in. The media went to any length they could to try and pull him down. Luckily the people of Victoria are (mostly) smarter than that.

First it was the car accident (where we wasn't the driver), then it was the stupid conspiracy theories around the stairs he fell down where he fractured his spine and broke ribs in 2021, then it was the fact that he is 'too arrogant' to be Premier and all the made up media stories about how much Victorians hate him (a very loud minority do because of the drivel they have been fed by the media, and only their views were amplified by the press). All of this crap on the front page of every newspaper and in all news bulletins every day for weeks before the election.

Meanwhile the opposition leader was referred to the independent anti-corruption commission (IBAC) for illegal Election Campaign actions DURING the election campaign and the opposition party was campaigning on lowering taxes and reducing debt while AT THE SAME TIME promising new spending that was estimated to add over $30bn to debt while never providing any costings to the voting public.....and the media was basically crickets. 

The media bias was astonishing as it was across the board. I’ve been a reader of The Age for a while so it’s been disappointing seeing it slowly turn into Herald Sun lite. They even had the nerve to claim at the start of the election they would avoid the typical negative campaigning and would report only on the issues that truly mattered to people. 

Anyhow I’m definitely happy with the result but it was concerning some of the members who were elected in some safe liberal seats. But it is laughable that they think they lost because they aren’t far right enough. Like that’s what left/centrist people were elected. So bizarre but it will hopefully mean the libs continue to be irrelevant in Victoria. 

On 11/27/2022 at 1:01 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

:inlove::clap:  So proud of the state of Victoria who completely ignored one of the most vicious, nastiest and biased media campaigns ever by the Murdoch press and overwhelmingly re- elected Labor.  Murdoch's paper and sky news were relentless in their attacks on Dan Andrews and the Labor Party.  Australia now has completely rejected the conservative party in virtually every state.  NSW has their election in the new year and it suggests Labor will romp home there as well.   @San @swimtoshore @Creepy Insane Person  @Bitch I'm Christian @Leebf @cardiganstarlet @Michael. @xtaticboy82and @Paul- I bet you are all happy.  Murdoch is getting rubbished everywhere on line and his influence in Australia is truly over.   @Kim  I know too how much you detest Murdoch and this was such a great result.  Australia has become such a progressive country. 

It's great news for sure @Jazzy Jan 👏🥰 Though I'm still sceptical about NSW...there are a lot of dip shits about :lol:

On 11/28/2022 at 7:43 AM, swimtoshore said:

First it was the car accident (where we wasn't the driver), then it was the stupid conspiracy theories around the stairs he fell down where he fractured his spine and broke ribs in 2021, then it was the fact that he is 'too arrogant' to be Premier and all the made up media stories about how much Victorians hate him (a very loud minority do because of the drivel they have been fed by the media, and only their views were amplified by the press). All of this crap on the front page of every newspaper and in all news bulletins every day for weeks before the election. 

I heard about that stair-gate bullshit! They were taking the piss out of the story on ABC news Sydney last week :lmao:

• 3 months later...

So,  what do our NSW members here think is going to happen in the state election of New South Wales ?  Will NSW kick the Libs ( actually the name of the conservative government for our international members )  out or buck the trend nationwide and vote conservative ?  

I voted early last week. I am hoping for a change in government the Liberals are horrible. So corrupt and have sold off everything and wiped out our forests and animals they just don't care and I will be disgusted if they get back in....But with the economy tanking and interest rates rising I am worried people will vote with their wallets and vote the Liberals back in due to the lie they are better economy managers. I hope I am wrong. I am in a liberal land but we voted teals in the federal election so I am hoping we can do the same again.

The juice media have done it again great "ad" for why we need to vote the bastards out.

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Leebf @San 👏👏 loving this. NSW well done 👍 

Yay! 🙌

What a relief! I was kind of expecting this, but you never know in NSW...very conservative and/or greedy in most parts. Chris Minns means well and I hope they can deliver their promises while being good economic managers because that's always the element that seems to lose Labor elections.

Almost entirely Labor across Australia ❤️

The Ashton By election result is yet another nail in the coffin for Dutton and the Liberal party.   Labor got home easily in a so called shock result as normally a safe conservative seat but Australians are proving that voters are turning away in droves from the far right that have taken over the Liberal Party.  So proud to be Australian at this time and also proves that Murdoch's shocking bias in the media does not cut through anymore. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The Ashton By election result is yet another nail in the coffin for Dutton and the Liberal party.   Labor got home easily in a so called shock result as normally a safe conservative seat but Australians are proving that voters are turning away in droves from the far right that have taken over the Liberal Party.  So proud to be Australian at this time and also proves that Murdoch's shocking bias in the media does not cut through anymore. 

More good news! Although its weird that all the good elections are happening after I left Australia. But at least I know it will be better when I come back.

On 4/2/2023 at 3:23 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

Not really a shock if you are paying attention, but the Murdoch and Costello media will portray it that way. Media coverage of the vote count on Saturday night was hilarious in its stupidity.

Voters were pretty clear - they reject corruption, climate change denial, transphobia, homophobia, and the persecution of other minorities by the right wing of the liberal party. the drumming up of a fake war with China (especially the large Chinese-Australian population in parts of Aston), and especially don't like helicoptoring in a fake candidate who pretends she understands the struggles of the constituents of the outer suburbs (she is a highly paid lawyer who lives in Brunswick, sat on the Melbourne City Council and who's husband is the national politics Editor of the hideous Herald-Sun - a right win rag that bashes Melbourne and Dan Andrews every day).

Mary Doyle - well done!

17 hours ago, swimtoshore said:

Not really a shock if you are paying attention, but the Murdoch and Costello media will portray it that way. Media coverage of the vote count on Saturday night was hilarious in its stupidity.

Voters were pretty clear - they reject corruption, climate change denial, transphobia, homophobia, and the persecution of other minorities by the right wing of the liberal party. the drumming up of a fake war with China (especially the large Chinese-Australian population in parts of Aston), and especially don't like helicoptoring in a fake candidate who pretends she understands the struggles of the constituents of the outer suburbs (she is a highly paid lawyer who lives in Brunswick, sat on the Melbourne City Council and who's husband is the national politics Editor of the hideous Herald-Sun - a right win rag that bashes Melbourne and Dan Andrews every day).

Mary Doyle - well done!

Spot on @swimtoshore

I had the misfortune to read Murdoch's Herald Scum today at work and the delusion is hilarious.  Andrew Bolt and Peta Credlin think that the Liberal Party need to go MORE right wing.  Then Andrew Bolt saying Ashton was only won by Labor because Daniel Andrews went to China for trade talks etc.  

Seriously, the whole of Australia is abandoning the Liberal party and all say for the same reasons.  Too many nutbag right wingers and their policies invading the party.  The right wing faction of the Liberal party taking over with the moderates all leaving.  

Like you said in your above post,  the climate change denial, transphobia and their obsession with calling everything "woke" as a so called insult just does not cut it with modern supporters of the Liberal Party.  They are not interested in any of that rubbish and seem insulted by it.  Hence. why they are leaving the party in droves.  The more they keep pushing this right wing agenda,  the more they will keep losing.