Roe v Wade US abortion law to be overturned, leaked court decision suggests

I was thinking yesterday that it may happen to any country. Bigots and ultra conservatives are everywhere. In 5 years or 10 years we could have an ultra conservative European Commission too that changes all rules. Nobody is safe until the working classes WAKE UP! 

8 hours ago, karbatal said:

Nobody is safe until the working classes WAKE UP! 

That's the truth! Sadly, during this time of record inflation and sky high gas prices, people are focused on keeping food on their families tables and penny pinching, they don't have time or energy to worry about these things. Meanwhile, human rights and Democracy in general are slowly being chipped away. This is major news of course but the fact that even THIS (and all of the info regarding 1/6) isn't causing a MUCH bigger outrage is telling of where we are. I'm mainly speaking from a US perspective of course. It's come to the point where we're almost completely desensitized to the radical bullshit. By the time they do wake up I think it's going to be too late.....in fact, it may already be too late. Very scary times in this country and around the world.

I think someone should give those conservative women a dose of their very own medicine and have them face the consequence of their doing. I'm waiting for a situation a man stands up and tells them to be quiet and move into the kitchen to cook and take care of the household and the children. Isn't that the place they belong to in their own worldview, isn't that the place their god wants them to be? Who do they think they are? A woman should not have any say in politics, a woman should not even have a say in her own life. A woman is meant to give birth and to be of service to men. Women think otherwise? Because there are laws or amendments to the constitution. Well, that can be changed. As we see right now. And the irony is, all of this with the support of women. 

14 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

I think someone should give those conservative women a dose of their very own medicine and have them face the consequence of their doing. I'm waiting for a situation a man stands up and tells them to be quiet and move into the kitchen to cook and take care of the household and the children. Isn't that the place they belong to in their own worldview, isn't that the place their god wants them to be? Who do they think they are? A woman should not have any say in politics, a woman should not even have a say in her own life. A woman is meant to give birth and to be of service to men. Women think otherwise? Because there are laws or amendments to the constitution. Well, that can be changed. As we see right now. And the irony is, all of this with the support of women. 

There is no consequence for them. They have the money to just go to a state or country that allows them to do this in private, quietly and without anyone finding out. 

I wonder which city will be declared the capital of Gilead when we get to that point.

Am truly horrified at how Roe vs Wade looks like being overturned in the near future judging by what is transpiring in the USA.  Women's rights being wound back before our very eyes.  The fact too that not one Republican supported the bill to make abortion a personal right is depressing and frightening.  How do American women feel about that ?  Will they come and fight this tooth and nail and can they win ?  The entire world is becoming far too complacent with letting far right and fundamental religious groups gain so much power.  

I’m sure many women are horrified and livid over this predicted overturn of Roe vs. Wade. And yet my prediction is that during the next election cycle the majority of white women will vote Republican again. Go figure. 

On 5/13/2022 at 2:35 PM, Cyber-Raga said:

I’m sure many women are horrified and livid over this predicted overturn of Roe vs. Wade. And yet my prediction is that during the next election cycle the majority of white women will vote Republican again. Go figure. 

No doubt about it. I had the shock of my life on my first trip to México when I saw thousands of women in the streets carrying signs and placards about abortion, which I assumed must be a pro-choice march, and then was told was pro-life. :manson: Which is no different to these students and church groups. It's absurd as I thought this issue was SETTLED 30 fucking years ago.

In a way I think the U.S. are a lost cause. With all the things going on there, the looming threat of Roe v Wade being overturned and mass shootings every day and several other social issues, all decent people should be on the barricades. But all I see is complacency. Especially from the Democrats. They should be fighting tooth and nail but all I see is "if they go low, we go high". At this point they are so high in the clouds they no longer see what's happening on the ground. And it would be so easy to discredit their Republican counterparts. Most of them are complete nutjobs and all it takes is to speak truth, all it takes is to speak up; But they don't. It puzzles me why. 

4 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

In a way I think the U.S. are a lost cause. With all the things going on there, the looming threat of Roe v Wade being overturned and mass shootings every day and several other social issues, all decent people should be on the barricades. But all I see is complacency. Especially from the Democrats. They should be fighting tooth and nail but all I see is "if they go low, we go high". At this point they are so high in the clouds they no longer see what's happening on the ground. And it would be so easy to discredit their Republican counterparts. Most of them are complete nutjobs and all it takes is to speak truth, all it takes is to speak up; But they don't. It puzzles me why. 

I was coming in here to say the exact same thing. While the MAGA crowd and the majority of the Republican party are as vile as they come, Liberals have been such pushovers and so complacent - ESPECIALLY when it comes to voting - that they really can't be clutching their pearls and SHOCKED at this decision. The writing has been on the wall that this law would be repealed if they ever got ahold of the Supreme Court, they did, and here we are.

Ginsburg and Kennedy choosing not to retire at a time when they would've been replaced by judges who shared their values still astonishes me. Especially Ginsburg. 

On 5/3/2022 at 6:12 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

I am surprised more American members are not in this thread.   This is truly taking the USA back decades in the worst possible way if this happens.  The way these judges can change and dictate rights of American people so easily is terrifying.   Women's rights are being eroded completely all in the name of religion if this is overturned.  I hope more people now wake up to what ultra conservative religious people in power can and will do.  If this does not wake people up, then nothing will. 

I can't speak for every American in this forum, but I do think there is a feeling that we're all in a burning car heading for a cliff and no one knows what to do. That is certainly how I feel. I felt confident that after 4 years of the terrible "experiment" that was Trump, that he would be swept out in a landslide. Not so. He actually gained votes - and a lot. I think we are all at a loss of how to save our country. Maybe we will separate into two separate countries? All I know is that this path cannot be sustained. It's not going to end well for America.

20 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

It puzzles me how a country that likes to tell all other countries what to do in relation to human rights, womens rights, etc thinks it OK to keep living in the dark ages where women cant decide about their own bodies and kids cant go to school without fear of being shot.

20 hours ago, Paul said:

It puzzles me how a country that likes to tell all other countries what to do in relation to human rights, womens rights, etc thinks it OK to keep living in the dark ages where women cant decide about their own bodies and kids cant go to school without fear of being shot.

You say that as if we are a single, unified mind. We've been struggling with those topics ourselves of late. But I guarantee you blue America is quite progressive on human rights and women's rights. Unfortunately, the way power is distributed in this country, the red (rural and religious) parts are able to unbalance the system, stymie progress, and even win all branches of government from time to time.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:14 PM, Nightshade said:

I can't speak for every American in this forum, but I do think there is a feeling that we're all in a burning car heading for a cliff and no one knows what to do. That is certainly how I feel. I felt confident that after 4 years of the terrible "experiment" that was Trump, that he would be swept out in a landslide. Not so. He actually gained votes - and a lot. I think we are all at a loss of how to save our country. Maybe we will separate into two separate countries? All I know is that this path cannot be sustained. It's not going to end well for America.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:31 PM, Nightshade said:

You say that as if we are a single, unified mind. We've been struggling with those topics ourselves of late. But I guarantee you blue America is quite progressive on human rights and women's rights. Unfortunately, the way power is distributed in this country, the red (rural and religious) parts are able to unbalance the system, stymie progress, and even win all branches of government from time to time.

Feel sorry for Americans who have to deal with having idiots from the far right and also extreme religious fanatics "representing"  them.  These people always seek any form of power and unfortunately succeed so often.  

57 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

So frightening.  What so many people are not realizing is how people with these extreme views seek out positions of power to implement them. 

And that's what's going on right now. It's really unfortunate because being the incumbent party, Dems are pretty complacent right now (as is the norm for a party currently with the majority...which is why the opposing party almost always comes out ahead in midterms), meanwhile the GQP (formerly known as the Republican party) are energized and on a local level, are electing candidates that out Trump Trump himself. Mastriano and Oz in PA are a great reference point for how dangerous and extreme this is becoming. I agree with other sentiments shared in this thread. As scary and heartbreaking as it is, I think that the USA's days as the democracy we knew are numbered. The extremists have already infiltrated to the point where there's no turning back in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong and would love for someone to prove me wrong but.....I don't think so at this time. Too far gone. 😞 

It's very tempting to say since Dems have power now, just let Biden "executive order" everything that can be but then the GQP would just come in and reverse it in a year, that's not a way to govern. I really don't know what the solution is or if there is one but one thing is for sure and that's the US isn't in a "let's sit down and talk it over" type of mood at the moment.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:26 AM, Kurt420 said:

And that's what's going on right now. It's really unfortunate because being the incumbent party, Dems are pretty complacent right now (as is the norm for a party currently with the majority...which is why the opposing party almost always comes out ahead in midterms), meanwhile the GQP (formerly known as the Republican party) are energized and on a local level, are electing candidates that out Trump Trump himself. Mastriano and Oz in PA are a great reference point for how dangerous and extreme this is becoming. I agree with other sentiments shared in this thread. As scary and heartbreaking as it is, I think that the USA's days as the democracy we knew are numbered. The extremists have already infiltrated to the point where there's no turning back in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong and would love for someone to prove me wrong but.....I don't think so at this time. Too far gone. 😞 

It's very tempting to say since Dems have power now, just let Biden "executive order" everything that can be but then the GQP would just come in and reverse it in a year, that's not a way to govern. I really don't know what the solution is or if there is one but one thing is for sure and that's the US isn't in a "let's sit down and talk it over" type of mood at the moment.

Sorry to bring Australian politics into this discussion Kurt but I do think that our system of preference voting is fantastic.  Our outgoing government had many of it's traditional supporters horrified at how right wing it was becoming.  Many of their usual supporters in safe seats, turned on them in droves and voted for independents instead.  Because we have preference voting, if the independent did not win, their next preference is counted.  So they can easily send a huge message to the government or show their anger at policies that they find abhorrent and against what they believe in.  In our case,  many independents who wanted climate change action and many women who hated the misogyny that was being shown by the government,  actually won these seats off the government.  They now will work with our new government which is the Labor party as they share some similar ideas.  They could not relate or tolerate how right wing the government had become. 

The Republican party at the moment is an absolute disgrace.  Surely many traditional Republicans would be horrified at how insane and unhinged Trump and co have made them.  I am not in America so should not comment but from what I have seen here in Australia, many traditional conservative voters are now much more progressive and hated what this current conservative government were turning into  They decimated the right wing of the Liberal party ( the name is misleading, that is our conservative party )  and they now will have to look at getting the party back to what is was.  

Can Americans see moderate Republicans turning on this current Republican party which has been completely hijacked by the ultra right, religious and racist idiots who were not even brave enough to call out the thugs who stormed the White House ?  Surely many Republicans would be horrified at having the likes of Majorie Taylor Green, Ted Cruz and co representing them.  Just interested to see what Americans feel. 

On 5/17/2022 at 6:21 PM, KalamazooJay said:

I was coming in here to say the exact same thing. While the MAGA crowd and the majority of the Republican party are as vile as they come, Liberals have been such pushovers and so complacent - ESPECIALLY when it comes to voting - that they really can't be clutching their pearls and SHOCKED at this decision. The writing has been on the wall that this law would be repealed if they ever got ahold of the Supreme Court, they did, and here we are.

Ginsburg and Kennedy choosing not to retire at a time when they would've been replaced by judges who shared their values still astonishes me. Especially Ginsburg. 

yes because they dont have anything to offer either. 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:26 PM, Kurt420 said:

what things did he sign under ' executive order'? 

On 5/23/2022 at 12:19 AM, GOD said:

what things did he sign under ' executive order'? 

Oh I wasn't saying he has executive ordered anything at this point. I'm just saying that would be a way to get some things done but with a presumably Republican victory in mid-terms and possibly the '24 presidency and of course the clearly majority conservative Supreme Court we have now, then whatever Biden did via executive action could prob be overturned/reversed somehow. I'm honestly not super familiar with how that whole process works.

Congress could ratify Roe vs Wade by passing a federal law that forbids the ban on abortions. For that they need 60 senators or changing the filibuster. Good luck with both. 
The other possibility is to stack the court with more liberal justices. Nowhere does it say in the constitution that there shall be 9 justices. It used to be less but for 200 years now there have been 9. And even here you have Democrats who won’t vote for this. 
This is so fucked up. The Dems have really been complacent - the same with the Jan 6th insurrection. The other side is so much better at sticking to the talking points and just get it done. The Dems’ asses will be kicked so hard in November and in 2024, which sounds fun, was it not for the risk of loosing the democracy by allowing such loons as MTG or Dumpster to take over (again). 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:20 AM, Kurt420 said:

Oh I wasn't saying he has executive ordered anything at this point. I'm just saying that would be a way to get some things done but with a presumably Republican victory in mid-terms and possibly the '24 presidency and of course the clearly majority conservative Supreme Court we have now, then whatever Biden did via executive action could prob be overturned/reversed somehow. I'm honestly not super familiar with how that whole process works.

My question was rhetorical.

Plenty of things he could have signed if he wanted to. 

• 5 weeks later...

😭😡This country continues its free fall and faster and faster. how can we accept that women cannot do what they want with their bodies in a supposedly democratic country in 2022???Next, same sex marriage? After that, contraception? and the most infuriating thing is that all this happens and everyone seems to not give a fuck! 

How can the people who voted to overturn this live with themselves ? I don't understand it .