New war in Europe, courtesy of Putin

elijah

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Junior said:

What does that even mean? Is he threatening nuclear strikes? Well, it must be about that. He cannot refer to his run-down conventional military. He is playing psychological games again. He, as everyone else, knows: The first to push the button is the second to get hit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, promise to try said:

so what´s happening with the North stream pipelines now? a sabotage?

I would like to believe the Russians did it. Just another act to pretend that they are attacked by the evil West. Or to find another reason why they don't deliver any gas anymore. North Stream 1 is not working for weeks now (because of some maintenance, yeah right) and North Stream 2 never went online. At this point it doesn't matter anymore. Most countries have found alternatives. Extremely expensive of course. In Germany gas reserves are at 91% percent already. They will be at 100% (I don't know if this is even possible technically) next month. That means, if people are cautious about their energy and heating consumption and the winter is not going to be extraordinary cold, there should be no problem for citizens and companies. All of this at super high costs. But if that is what is needed to finally go forward with renewables, so be it.

And Russia? They will become some sort of Chinese colony at some point. 

German conservative leader accuses Ukrainian refugees of ‘welfare tourism’

BERLIN — German opposition leader Friedrich Merz accused Ukrainian refugees of taking advantage of Germany’s social welfare system by seeking protection in the country, collecting benefits and then returning to Ukraine.

“What we’re seeing is welfare tourism on the part of these refugees to Germany, back to Ukraine, to Germany, back to Ukraine,” Merz, the leader of the center-right Christian Democrats (CDU), told Bild TV in an interview, adding that “a large number” of the more than 1.1 million Ukrainian refugees registered in Germany were milking the state. “We have a problem here that’s getting worse.”

The German government has no statistics on whether and to what degree the abuse Merz alleged is actually occurring.

Merz, who took over the party last year after it lost control of the chancellery for the first time in 16 years, said it was “unfair” for the state to pay to heat the homes of refugees and German welfare recipients at a time when many working-class Germans can’t afford their energy bills.

That statement is not funded on real data either, and Merz is known to produce plenty of gaffes such as presenting himself as ordinary person (which just happens to have villas, private planes etc). You know a statement is bad if the politician in question retracts it just the day after and every leading politician in your own party calls it unfounded and just wrong and un-called for.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:42 PM, Raider of the lost Ark said:

I would like to believe the Russians did it. Just another act to pretend that they are attacked by the evil West. Or to find another reason why they don't deliver any gas anymore. North Stream 1 is not working for weeks now (because of some maintenance, yeah right) and North Stream 2 never went online. At this point it doesn't matter anymore. Most countries have found alternatives. Extremely expensive of course. In Germany gas reserves are at 91% percent already. They will be at 100% (I don't know if this is even possible technically) next month. That means, if people are cautious about their energy and heating consumption and the winter is not going to be extraordinary cold, there should be no problem for citizens and companies. All of this at super high costs. But if that is what is needed to finally go forward with renewables, so be it.

And Russia? They will become some sort of Chinese colony at some point. 

Yeah I’m surprised at so much fanfare about this sabotage as nobody was expecting Russian gas this winter. Of course the environmental disaster is a tragedy. 

There’s in Twitter a monumental campaign by Russia accusing USA of the sabotage :rotfl: They’re DESPERATE 

1 hour ago, beta_test said:

That statement is not funded on real data either, and Merz is known to produce plenty of gaffes such as presenting himself as ordinary person (which just happens to have villas, private planes etc). You know a statement is bad if the politician in question retracts it just the day after and every leading politician in your own party calls it unfounded and just wrong and un-called for.

It’s scary that the CDU is vomiting the xenophobia that is usually expected for AFD. In Spain the equivalent to the CDU fell in vote intention when did the same and fueled the popularity of the far right.

21 minutes ago, karbatal said:

It’s scary that the CDU is vomiting the xenophobia that is usually expected for AFD. In Spain the equivalent to the CDU fell in vote intention when did the same and fueled the popularity of the far right.

thank god most other leaders of the party were appalled but seems fishing on the right edge is en vogue. I just hope that before we have the next elections he will be out of the leadership position. Our current chancellor is also often missing in action as well, even worse than Merkel had been.

Of course it was Putin. The USA doesn’t need less gas in Europe, they are already exporting as much as they want. In fact we would buy MORE if possible. The desperation of Russia is creating all kind of conspiracies, which are absurd. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sure Putin is surprised at how long the Ukrainian resistance has lasted and that he has been unable to capture the whole of Ukraine. 

I just wonder how long Ukraine can keep up the resistance though. I also shudder at the thought of so many people in Ukraine without power and water, with the winter months coming up. Its absolute genocide, what Putin is doing. 

Sadly, I don't see a resolution of this conflict anytime soon. I think the war is just going to keep grinding month after month after month.. I really don't know what the eventual outcome will be...