New war in Europe, courtesy of Putin

elijah

Shamelessly stolen from another forum, but Zelenskyy has gone from only moderately well-known to one of the world's top defenders of democracy, leadership, and self-determination, whilst also being FUCKING HOT doing it. :wow:

Here he is getting the jab.

AP21061452635927.jpg

53 minutes ago, MadFan said:

Shamelessly stolen from another forum, but Zelenskyy has gone from only moderately well-known to one of the world's top defenders of democracy, leadership, and self-determination, whilst also being FUCKING HOT doing it. :wow:

AP21061452635927.jpg

I didn’t want to say it but I think he is fucking HOT and SEXY. :lol:

19 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Anyone else who have friends/colleagues etc who are rabid conspiracy theorists  - for examples they believe the earth is flat, covid is a hoax and all Democrats are child abusers etc -  noticed something.  They are all posting on their social media anti Ukraine and pro Putin posts.   So tragic and yet so predictable. All blaming Ukraine and the West. 

If you ask me, this is just more proof that it is the Russian government that is the powerhouse behind the weaponisation of social media and conspiracy theories around the world. They've been destabilising us and softening us up for years, probably in preparation of a move like this.

Just now, runa said:

I didn’t want to say it but I think he is fucking HOT and SEXY. :lol:

Absolutely. :lol: It's his attitude as well, what a MAN. :dramatic:

2 hours ago, MadFan said:

AP21061452635927.jpg

Now I cannot concentrate with working from home #NSFW

16 hours ago, Kilt said:

The solution is to apply measures that would severely dry up Putin's fininacial pools which are funding his invasion campaign.

The financial director of Gazprom has committed suicide earlier today in Sankt Petersburg. It's starting.

Good chance he was one of the ones who began talks with the rest of the Russo-petro business class about how much of a total financial liability Kremlin Gollum is now and got suicided by the FSB because Vlad got wind of it.

7 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

If you ask me, this is just more proof that it is the Russian government that is the powerhouse behind the weaponisation of social media and conspiracy theories around the world. They've been destabilising us and softening us up for years, probably in preparation of a move like this.

I think the same. 

8 hours ago, MadFan said:

AP21061452635927.jpg

I think it’s more the attitude appeal than the looks.

Btw his story is really funny. He was an actor who played the role of the president of Ukraine on tv in a satire show and he became so hugely popular that he decided to run for president. Ukrainian people really had good luck with that decision. He is truly a master of image control and he is actually a very brave and sound person. Those two qualities combined is what makes a good political figure. Right now he is the most charismatic leader of the world 

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

I think it’s more the attitude appeal than the looks.

Btw his story is really funny. He was an actor who played the role of the president of Ukraine on tv in a satire show and he became so hugely popular that he decided to run for president. Ukrainian people really had good luck with that decision. He is truly a master of image control and he is actually a very brave and sound person. Those two qualities combined is what makes a good political figure. Right now he is the most charismatic leader of the world 

If he survives somehow (praying he does), I wouldnt be surprised if he is the next Secretary General of the UN.

1 hour ago, Gaudet said:

Does anyone believe Putin's willingness to commit to all three points?

And how long for would he committ to that?

Putin cannot be trusted.

No. He is a liar. He cannot be trusted. He said he won't attack Ukraine. He was "negotiating" with Macron, which was a fucking sneaky behaviour.

3 hours ago, Gaudet said:

Putin cannot be trusted.

No-one. Hes a liar and sneaky one.

Hes targetted civilians all day today.

Decades after Chernobyl, war raises nuclear fears in Ukraine

International Atomic Energy Agency plans an emergency meeting Wednesday, as an expert notes, "We’ve never seen a full-scale war in a country that operates nuclear facilities”

The International Atomic Energy Agency announced it would convene an emergency meeting Wednesday as fighting closed in on the largest of Ukraine’s functioning nuclear plants.

Six of the country’s 15 reactors have been disconnected from the electricity grid to reduce cooling needs, according to the State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine. The 15 Soviet-era reactors had provided half of the nation’s electricity in normal times.

Both sides vied for control of Ukraine’s biggest nuclear power complex Monday. Russia’s defense ministry was quoted in state-run media as saying that its forces had taken control of “the territory around” the nuclear power complex in Zaporizhiya. “The plant personnel are continuing to service the site and control the radioactive situation as usual. Background radiation levels are normal,” the defense ministry said.

However, Ukraine’s state-owned firm Energoatom said that the Russian claim was false. The International Atomic Energy Agency said that “additional information” from the operator of the reactors confirmed that Russian forces were “operational near the site but had not entered it.”

While a direct attack on Ukraine’s nuclear infrastructure seems unlikely, experts raised the alarm that an inadvertent strike by a missile or air attack could trigger a disaster.

“It is extremely important that the nuclear power plants are not put at risk in any way,” IAEA’s director general Rafael Mariano Grossi said. Without naming the catastrophic Chernobyl accident which took place four decades ago, Grossi said that “an accident involving the nuclear facilities in Ukraine could have severe consequences for public health and the environment.”

The Zaporizhia complex, 140 miles up the Dnieper River from the Black Sea, has six reactors, more than in any other location in Ukraine’s nationwide fleet. Three of those are among the reactors disconnected from the grid.

Nuclear experts also said they feared fighting might accidentally damage the pools used for cooling spent fuel, posing a greater danger than any potential threat to the well-constructed vessels designed to protect the reactors’ cores. The open pools, which resemble regular swimming pools, are inside of buildings that are not as robust as other structures.

“The largest radioactive inventories remain the spent fuel pools,” said Mycle Schneider, a Paris-based consultant and a member of the International Panel on Fissile Materials.

Operators often disconnect reactors to reduce the amount of heat they generate. Frank von Hippel, a senior research physicist and professor of international affairs emeritus at Princeton University’s program on science and global security, said that “when a reactor is operating, each ton of fuel is generating about 30 megawatts of heat.” Disconnecting it decreases the generated heat to about 300 kilowatts, lowering the required amount of cooling water by a factor of a hundred.

But disconnecting reactors from the electricity grid does not guarantee safe conditions, experts cautioned. It places reactors one step closer to needing auxiliary power, which usually comes from standby diesel generators.

“All reactors need power to stay safe. That does not stop with the disconnection from the grid,” Schneider said. “Residual heat remains enormous in the core … and needs to be evacuated.”

“We’ve never seen a full-scale war in a country that operates nuclear facilities,” he added. “You can’t just decide to shut them down.”

Edwin Lyman, director of nuclear power safety at the Union of Concerned Scientists, said, “it’s in no one’s interest to have any of those plants damaged, but sometimes things spiral out of control.”

A meltdown took place at Chernobyl’s unit four in 1986, spreading radiation across a swath of Belarus, Russia and Ukraine and ultimately leading to 28 deaths in four months and the eventual evacuation of hundreds of thousands of people from an 18-mile exclusion zone. The last of the four reactors there was shut down in 1999.

But the pools are still used to cool Chernobyl’s spent fuel rods, including 20,000 fuel assemblies that are being transferred from storage pools to more protective, double-walled dry storage canisters designed to last 100 years, according to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Lyman identified those pools as the area “that would need a relatively high degree of attention.”

Other parts of nuclear reactors can withstand substantial impacts.

The IAEA said Sunday that missiles hit the site of a radioactive waste disposal facility in Kyiv overnight, but there were no reports of damage to the building or any indications of a release of radioactive materials, Grossi said in a statement. Staff at the facility were forced to take shelter during the night.

The incident came a day after an electrical transformer at a similar facility near the northeastern city of Kharkiv had been damaged, but there were no reports of a radioactive release. “Such facilities typically hold disused radioactive sources and other low-level waste from hospitals and industry,” the IAEA said.

Nonetheless, Grossi said, “these two incidents highlight the very real risk that facilities with radioactive material will suffer damage during the conflict, with potentially severe consequences for human health and the environment.” He said “once again, I urgently and strongly appeal to all parties to refrain from any military or other action that could threaten the safety and security of these facilities.”

Before Russia’s attack, Ukraine had explored having Westinghouse build four more nuclear reactors. Westinghouse has already been providing some nuclear fuel, previously supplied by Russia.

“The lesson from this is that these facilities are different and more complex than other sources of electricity generation,” Lyman said, “and they do have additional risks.”

Nuclear experts worried over fighting near Ukraine’s reactors and spent fuel - The Washington Post

Monaco clamps down on Russian assets after Ukraine invasion

https://www.reuters.com/business/wealth-hub-monaco-also-clamping-down-russian-assets-following-ukraine-invasion-2022-02-28/

Switzerland adopts wholesale EU sanctions against Russia

Switzerland adopts wholesale EU sanctions against Russia | Switzerland | The Guardian

About fucking time...

6 hours ago, Gaudet said:

Putin cannot be trusted.

I would NOT trust Putin as far as I could throw him.  Such a lying, manipulative and evil dictator.  He makes me furious and devastated.  

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Lithuania's Prime minister said the Russians are using "carpet bombing", meaning large imprecise bombing (which could hit nuclear power plants, realistically).

Hopefully the peace talks that are underway will provide a diplomatic solution to this totally unjustifiable war.  As for Putin,I think his days are numbered. Whatever happens he has damaged both his own reputation as a leader beyond repair,and the reputation of Russia as a country on the world political stage,no democratic country would ever take him seriously after this invasion. More pressure has to be applied to him from within Russia itself.  I wholeheartedly applaud the brave men and women who have spoken out in Russia and protested against Putin. I hope it inspires more Russians to do so. 

4 hours ago, Paul Wade said:

Hopefully the peace talks that are underway will provide a diplomatic solution to this totally unjustifiable war.  As for Putin,I think his days are numbered. Whatever happens he has damaged both his own reputation as a leader beyond repair,and the reputation of Russia as a country on the world political stage,no democratic country would ever take him seriously after this invasion. More pressure has to be applied to him from within Russia itself.  I wholeheartedly applaud the brave men and women who have spoken out in Russia and protested against Putin. I hope it inspires more Russians to do so. 

But who could trust Russians in peace negotiations after what has happened? I mean they straight out lied thrue whole diplomatic round before this war