Biden / U.S. Politics thread

Camacho

On 12/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, KalamazooJay said:

I hope I don’t get crucified for saying this, but I do think something is off with him mentally tho. Whether it’s natural cognitive decline or something more serious, I think it’s obvious he’s not playing with a full deck. 
There’s absolutely no way he runs in ‘24. He won’t have the luxury of campaigning from his basement like he did in 2020. 

You shouldn't be crucified and hope it doesn't happen that people give you shit for simply stating an opinion. By the way you are not wrong: Joe Biden's mental decline is crystal clear, he shouldn't be in such a leadership position. 

Hope the U.S. finds its strength somewhere, but I doubt it will succeed.

Lovely (as if) China will be the official global dominant power in a not so distant future.

44 minutes ago, Gaudet said:

You shouldn't be crucified and hope it doesn't happen that people give you shit for simply stating an opinion. By the way you are not wrong: Joe Biden's mental decline is crystal clear, he shouldn't be in such a leadership position. 

Hope the U.S. finds its strength somewhere, but I doubt it will succeed.

Lovely (as if) China will be the official global dominant power in a not so distant future.

No, he shouldn't be in his position. And I say this with tremendous sadness to be honest. He's a good, decent, and kind man. And I believe that he truly thought he was the only one who could defeat Trump - and he was right. He was the man this country needed in the moment, but sadly, he's not what we need in the long run. 

But the tragic part is, is that I have no idea who in the Democratic party could step up against Trump. While I despise the man, he has a devoted, cult like following that will walk barefoot across boiling water to vote for him. The only two people that dems have that even come close are the Obamas. And Michelle ain't gonna run. 

I feel like I'm in the political wilderness right now as I simply can not get behind either of these two parties in any way. I'm voting for D's for the sole reason that republicans are truly a cult right now. But it's not like I'm enjoying much progressives are putting out there.

Sad, sad, sad state of affairs here in American right now. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:52 AM, KalamazooJay said:

No, he shouldn't be in his position. And I say this with tremendous sadness to be honest. He's a good, decent, and kind man. And I believe that he truly thought he was the only one who could defeat Trump - and he was right. He was the man this country needed in the moment, but sadly, he's not what we need in the long run. 

But the tragic part is, is that I have no idea who in the Democratic party could step up against Trump. While I despise the man, he has a devoted, cult like following that will walk barefoot across boiling water to vote for him. The only two people that dems have that even come close are the Obamas. And Michelle ain't gonna run. 

I feel like I'm in the political wilderness right now as I simply can not get behind either of these two parties in any way. I'm voting for D's for the sole reason that republicans are truly a cult right now. But it's not like I'm enjoying much progressives are putting out there.

Sad, sad, sad state of affairs here in American right now. 

Trump is such an obvious idiot and compulsive liar who is repeatedly exposed for the lying cruel buffoon he is.  I will never understand what anyone sees in Trump. For those who try to say that he is a great business man - he is not as inherited his fortune and has been bankrupt many times.  The religious people that follow him must be aware of his multiple marriages and past. His filthy talk that has been exposed many times.   He flirts with and supports dangerous conspiracy theorists.  Members of the Republican party that had to work with him when he was president have continually exposed how stupid, stubborn and dangerous he is.  I truly don't get why this man is so idolised.  The Republican party is now a conspiracy theory obsessed and dangerous party. The decent Republicans are now hated and treated like traitors.   I worry for the entire world if he is elected again.  It is bad enough dealing with the power hungry and dangerous Chinese government at the moment and the thought of Trump gaining power again is terrifying.  How we desperately need some great leadership around the world but I fear it won't happen.  

10 hours ago, cardiganstarlet said:

Just genuinely curious about what it is within the progressive agenda that doesn’t work for you? Asking respectfully!

I think liberals/progressives have become a party that governs according to what a minority of people are saying on Twitter. They've become OBSESSED with social justice to a fault and listen to the loudest voices on social media versus the voices that need to be heard on Main Street.  Bernie was successful because we was talking about ECONOMIC JUSTICE which resonates far more with working class voters than worrying about pronouns, labels, #MeToo, BLM, or any of the rest of this nonsense that the Democrats have signed onto. 

I'm not saying racial inequality isn't important, it absolutely is. But I work closely with MANY members of our community here in the city I live in. Black leaders aren't worried about taking a Black woman off of a syrup bottle. Latino leaders aren't worried about being called Latnix. LGTBQ leaders aren't worried about adding another fucking color to their flag. People on a local level are worried about their schools, they don't WANT their police defunded - just reformed, they WANT some kind of FAIR border security, they want their infrastructure fixed, affordable housing, and the list goes on and on. 

The point is, working class people of ALL colors are generally concerned about the same things. But liberals continue to box people in, label them, and segregate them by sex, race, class, education level, and sexual preference. And I am - along with MANY center left people - are really fucking tired of it. 

Politics is about 50 + 1. It's about winning elections. And if liberals continue to talk like 'The Squad' does, they're going to be in the minority for a long, long, long time after next years elections. 

Guest CzarnaWisnia
2 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

I think liberals/progressives have become a party that governs according to what a minority of people are saying on Twitter. They've become OBSESSED with social justice to a fault and listen to the loudest voices on social media versus the voices that need to be heard on Main Street.  Bernie was successful because we was talking about ECONOMIC JUSTICE which resonates far more with working class voters than worrying about pronouns, labels, #MeToo, BLM, or any of the rest of this nonsense that the Democrats have signed onto. 

I'm not saying racial inequality isn't important, it absolutely is. But I work closely with MANY members of our community here in the city I live in. Black leaders aren't worried about taking a Black woman off of a syrup bottle. Latino leaders aren't worried about being called Latnix. LGTBQ leaders aren't worried about adding another fucking color to their flag. People on a local level are worried about their schools, they don't WANT their police defunded - just reformed, they WANT some kind of FAIR border security, they want their infrastructure fixed, affordable housing, and the list goes on and on. 

The point is, working class people of ALL colors are generally concerned about the same things. But liberals continue to box people in, label them, and segregate them by sex, race, class, education level, and sexual preference. And I am - along with MANY center left people - are really fucking tired of it. 

Politics is about 50 + 1. It's about winning elections. And if liberals continue to talk like 'The Squad' does, they're going to be in the minority for a long, long, long time after next years elections. 

So, you're saying you're a white supremacist? 🤔

Guest CzarnaWisnia
1 minute ago, KalamazooJay said:

Ah the old go-to any time someone calls out Democrats for their nonsense. 

Yeah, I’m as racist as they come. 

I knew it!!! Get HIIIIMMM!

On 12/30/2021 at 1:54 AM, KalamazooJay said:

I guess this is the problem when issues are boiled down to culture wars. So incredibly toxic while real and important issues like healthcare, education, wealth inequality and the climate get pushed aside for yet another election cycle.

I'm not American but I love visiting and it’s terrifying watching their system unravel. It’s been a long time coming and is far more complex than my post obviously. Sadly similar situations can be seen in the UK and Australia - coincidently where the poisonous hand of Murdoch media has also been gaslighting people for decades.

50+1 is a pretty blunt assessment but ultimately you’re right. Enacting real change though requires so much more but there are very few politicians willing to walk the walk when it comes to long term vision.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Quinnipiac poll shows Biden with 33 percent approval rating

Just one-third of Americans approve of the job President Biden is doing, a new low for the president in a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

The poll showed Biden's approval rating had dipped slightly from last November, when his approval rating was 36 percent. It continued a troubling trend for Biden, whose approval rating has steadily declined in each Quinnipiac Poll released over the last several months.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/589450-quinnipiac-poll-shows-biden-with-33-percent-approval-rating

On 1/6/2022 at 7:04 PM, cardiganstarlet said:

I guess this is the problem when issues are boiled down to culture wars. So incredibly toxic while real and important issues like healthcare, education, wealth inequality and the climate get pushed aside for yet another election cycle.

I'm not American but I love visiting and it’s terrifying watching their system unravel. It’s been a long time coming and is far more complex than my post obviously. Sadly similar situations can be seen in the UK and Australia - coincidently where the poisonous hand of Murdoch media has also been gaslighting people for decades.

50+1 is a pretty blunt assessment but ultimately you’re right. Enacting real change though requires so much more but there are very few politicians willing to walk the walk when it comes to long term vision.

I have stopped watching coverage of USA politics. Too frustrating and frightening. So many far right, conspiracy theorists in the Republican Party who seem to dominate and have so much to say. Fox News etc encourage them completely too. Totally lost faith when seeing so many Americans STILL idolising Trump, complaining violently about their lack of freedom re anyone even dare ask them to wear masks, denying science and covid and thinking the election was stolen.  How Ted Cruz, Marjorie Taylor Green and co have massive support as well is terrifying.  I know it is not the majority of Americans but there seems to be so many of them. Their democracy ( which has always been a wonderful part of America and what they were rightly proud of ) could easily be taken away if these conspiracy theorists get too much power again. 

11 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I have stopped watching coverage of USA politics. Too frustrating and frightening. So many far right, conspiracy theorists in the Republican Party who seem to dominate and have so much to say. Fox News etc encourage them completely too. Totally lost faith when seeing so many Americans STILL idolising Trump, complaining violently about their lack of freedom re anyone even dare ask them to wear masks, denying science and covid and thinking the election was stolen.  How Ted Cruz, Marjorie Taylor Green and co have massive support as well is terrifying.  I know it is not the majority of Americans but there seems to be so many of them. Their democracy ( which has always been a wonderful part of America and what they were rightly proud of ) could easily be taken away if these conspiracy theorists get too much power again. 

I’ve stopped paying attention to world politics because of that. I often find it too depressing and mood dragging 

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Biden ends first year as president with 'bleak, discouraging' marks from the public

In a new NBC News poll, Americans give Biden low marks on overall job approval, the pandemic and the economy as he reaches the one-year mark.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/biden-ends-first-year-president-bleak-discouraging-marks-public-n1287751

• 2 weeks later...

The sad thing is America seems to vote with more of a "throw the bums out" mentality as a knee-jerk reaction not really considering the ramifications of going back to the horrible alternative. I guess we like learning the hard way. If the GOP wins in 2022 (midterms) and again in 2024, I think we may see a genuine attempt to establish a permanent, authoritarian regime under the guise of a faux democracy. The pendulum keeps swinging that way harder and harder. 😟