Jeff Bezos: I'm not a "drug dealer" and I don't sell Echo at a loss to kill competition

XXL

:semifunny:

Amazon boss Jeff Bezos rejects claims company acted like a 'drug dealer'

Amazon boss Jeff Bezos has rejected claims that his company acted like a "drug dealer" in its business tactics.

US Congressman David Cicilline, the Democrat leading a hearing looking into the world's biggest tech companies, said a year-long investigation by lawmakers had showed several online platforms had "wielded their power in destructive, harmful ways in order to expand".

Mr Bezos insisted his decisions were based on what was good for the consumer.

congress_ceos.jpg

The heads of some of the world's biggest tech companies have appeared before Washington lawmakers to defend their firms against claims they abuse their power to quash competitors.

Amazon boss Jeff Bezos said the world "needs large" firms, while the heads of Facebook, Apple and Google argued their companies had spurred innovation.

The appearance comes as lawmakers consider tougher regulation and competition probes are under way. Some critics want the firms broken up.

Democrats pressed the tech titans on competition issues, while Republicans were more concerned about how they managed information and whether they were marginalising conservative views.

As a citizen of the Germany all those companies are dear to my heart. Well, they might be. Once they start paying income taxes on the billions of profits they make in my country. By using our infrastructure, skilled workforce, legal stabilty, large amounts of disposable income ...

Please feel free to add your country, if you feel the same way.

P.S. I was dishonest about Facebook. They can go to hell. I'm sure, Mr Zuckerberg thinks he is great innovator. I think his product has done more damage to the world than some wars. 

On 8/1/2020 at 3:12 AM, Raider of the lost Ark said:

As a citizen of the Germany all those companies are dear to my heart. Well, they might be. Once they start paying income taxes on the billions of profits they make in my country. By using our infrastructure, skilled workforce, legal stabilty, large amounts of disposable income ...

Please feel free to add your country, if you feel the same way.

P.S. I was dishonest about Facebook. They can go to hell. I'm sure, Mr Zuckerberg thinks he is great innovator. I think his product has done more damage to the world than some wars. 

I agree. I feel like the e-commerce, namely global e-commerce, is outpacing our global governments' ability to pass legislation aimed at ensuring a fair playing field. 

However, and this isn't me making excuses, but if I sell certain products online and ship said products from the state of California to France, and France has no law requiring a person or entity in California to pay local taxes on said product, how is that my fault? I'm complying with all laws, regulations and tax obligations. Should I go and pay French profit tax just because it's the moral / right thing to do?

And instead of our governments doing anything about it, they're all fighting internally over stupid shit like... whether black athletes should kneel or not during the national anthem in protest of police brutality. Or whether or not it's wrong for local police forces to brutally murder civilians because they gave them a dirty look or looked suspiciously black.