COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

Loads of drop-in centres now opening up for vaccinations I've noticed which is better than the old appointment system.

I guess the only fear now is an immune variant coming any time soon...

We are now in our Third Wave and it started with a UK Variant then the Indian variant was detected but as of today S. African and S. American variants have also been detected in Thailand . 

Mass vaccination program will start on Monday 7th June . The Government mismanage the distribution of vaccines ; thinking that our infection rate was non -existence so we went from infections in the tens up to 3000 _ a day now .

Death rates are around 20-40 people per day . Am getting my vaccine in July and it will be Astra . 

We don't have any choice  . It's either the Chinese made Sinovac ( which had just been approved by WHO two days ago ) or Astra but you can not choose . They will tell you when you arrive at your designated vaccine location what vaccine you will get on the day ( unless you are over 60 then it's definitely Astra ) 

The other vaccines J&J , Pfizer , Moderna as well as Sputnik V will arrive in October . 

Long story short they government thought because our infections  rate was like zero for months ( without Proactive testing ) everything would be back to normal . They started opening up nightclubs , bars , gym & entertainment venues and ;et people travel all over the country for the Thai New Year holiday without realising that actually you do need to Vaccinate the people first before opening up the country !

Melbourne is back in lockdown again. Victoria has to be the unluckiest state in Australia. We even get it from other state’s quarantine ie this outbreak come from SA.  I don’t blame any state though as hotels are not meant to be quarantine centres.  Should have had major quarantine hubs built around Australia months ago and none around highly populated cities. 

17 minutes ago, rebelheart said:

Yes it so sad & frustrating, all the small businesses going to the wall, people's metal health, kids education etc... why can't the Vic government follow the NSW model & not resort to full state/city lockdown's that last weeks, just rely on good contract tracing & a proper one QR system. So depressing living in this state now, it was been ruined by terrible policies...:imsad:

I am hoping it will be no more than 2 weeks this time. Worried about the Delta strain 😞  we seem to cop more cases in Victoria than other states. People must move around more or we are unlucky that they are super spreaders.  So many exposure sights including shopping centres 😢Just awful. It is so depressing. To think this time too it did not even start in Victoria. 

14 minutes ago, Cyber-Raga said:

How many people have been (fully) vaccinated in Australia? I am kinda surprised you (or at least Victoria) had to go into another lockdown just now. 

Only 2 % of Australians have been vaccinated.  With this latest outbreak, people are now coming out in force to get vaccinated, especially in Victoria.  Long queues. There has been a lot of criticism of our PM Scott Morrison who had previously said that there was no race to get vaccinated  🙄. The vaccination roll out has been dreadful. 

Oh wow such a low number - and I thought the EU has done a piss poor job in getting the vaccines.

I guess this explains the new outbreak. I’m not a doctor - and correct me if I’m wrong - but apparently once you have 50% of your population vaccinated once the numbers of new infections drop significantly. And once you hit 50% of double vaccinations you won’t have herd immunity but you also won’t see an exponential rise in new cases (unless a new variant emerges which is hesitant to the vaccines of course). 

And you guys are now entering winter, so of course it sucks even more that not more people have been vaccinated. I hope everything works out swiftly and well. Fingers crossed. 

9 minutes ago, Cyber-Raga said:

Oh wow such a low number - and I thought the EU has done a piss poor job in getting the vaccines.

I guess this explains the new outbreak. I’m not a doctor - and correct me if I’m wrong - but apparently once you have 50% of your population vaccinated once the numbers of new infections drop significantly. And once you hit 50% of double vaccinations you won’t have herd immunity but you also won’t see an exponential rise in new cases (unless a new variant emerges which is hesitant to the vaccines of course). 

And you guys are now entering winter, so of course it sucks even more that not more people have been vaccinated. I hope everything works out swiftly and well. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks @Cyber-Raga  

The vaccination roll out has been pathetic.  I think Australian politicians did not plan ahead. Hotel quarantine does not work well because hotels are not properly equipped to cope.  So with the combination of hotel quarantine instead of purpose built quarantine buildings and appalling vaccination roll out,  we are now in this ridiculous mess.  

I think the only way is to vaccinate in big numbers. The results are obvious. In Germany we now have 46% first dose and 21% fully vaccinated. And the infections are going down rapidly. Unfortunately supply is still an issue, which means the overall number of available doses is just steady. In the last days the average number of first doses dropped to something around 500.000 when we were already at 1 million +. Reason is that more people now need to get their second shot and therefore those doses need to be hold in stock. Nevertheless, the overall situation has improved significantly. Things are going back to "normal". But that is the "normal" of summer 2020, which means masks and social distancing. Anyway, still better than all those months in lockdown. 

6 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I am hoping it will be no more than 2 weeks this time. Worried about the Delta strain 😞  we seem to cop more cases in Victoria than other states. People must move around more or we are unlucky that they are super spreaders.  So many exposure sights including shopping centres 😢Just awful. It is so depressing. To think this time too it did not even start in Victoria. 

It sounds really depressing. I hope it's only for two weeks. 

The Australian roll out has been pathetic and people under the age of 40 are still not eligible unless they work in a specific industry or meet certain criteria. It’s such bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Napoléon said:

The Australian roll out has been pathetic and people under the age of 40 are still not eligible unless they work in a specific industry or meet certain criteria. It’s such bullshit. 

In many European countries people under 40 are still waiting too. It's because the EU policy is to give the second shot in three weeks time. 

17 hours ago, Napoléon said:

I agree. Monumental stuff up. Scummo went for AZ as cheapest and Australia can make it but its also the only one with no stem cells and as he is ultra religious i feel this was main reason why he put all his faith into AZ.

Which state are you in? Im in NSW and can get Pfizer as im just turned *gasp* 40. My partner is 29 so can't get it but i want him to get the vaccine as he is a chauffeur and has people in and out of car all day so is at risk and he has asthma and covid could really affect him. So i made him go on to the booking site and to try and book as i assumed asthma was a pre-existing condition and should be able to get it but no it wasnt an option so he picked another reason and it let him book so we both getting our jab on same day in 1 mths time and were able to book our 2nd jab appointment 3 weeks later.

A few people at work have done similar and were able to book in and they were not asked anything when they went to get jab just the name etc for the appointment. So if you are  in NSW i suggest trying that approach if you want to try and get vaccinated asap? 

On 6/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, Leebf said:

I agree. Monumental stuff up. Scummo went for AZ as cheapest and Australia can make it but its also the only one with no stem cells and as he is ultra religious i feel this was main reason why he put all his faith into AZ.

Which state are you in? Im in NSW and can get Pfizer as im just turned *gasp* 40. My partner is 29 so can't get it but i want him to get the vaccine as he is a chauffeur and has people in and out of car all day so is at risk and he has asthma and covid could really affect him. So i made him go on to the booking site and to try and book as i assumed asthma was a pre-existing condition and should be able to get it but no it wasnt an option so he picked another reason and it let him book so we both getting our jab on same day in 1 mths time and were able to book our 2nd jab appointment 3 weeks later.

A few people at work have done similar and were able to book in and they were not asked anything when they went to get jab just the name etc for the appointment. So if you are  in NSW i suggest trying that approach if you want to try and get vaccinated asap? 

My partner and I are in our 40s and registered for the vaccine in NSW almost 4 weeks ago now...got an email a few days ago saying thanks, we'll get back to you. Why open up vaccines to 40 year olds if you can't accommodate everyone...I'm so annoyed!

17 hours ago, San said:

My partner and I are in our 40s and registered for the vaccine in NSW almost 4 weeks ago now...got an email a few days ago saying thanks, we'll get back to you. Why open up vaccines to 40 year olds if you can't accommodate everyone...I'm so annoyed!

I did the same. Registered weeks ago and only got an email yesterday saying to go to government website to book. So bad. Just go onto the website now and book lots of spaces. Thats what i did weeks ago and booked in right away if i didnt just go online i wouldn't be getting jab until later on in year. Give it a go. As you're in your 40s you have lots of options. Link below. Once you answer questions it will allow you to book:

https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/eligibility?utm_source=NSW Government&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Consumer Covid19_Vaccination&utm_term=COVID_19 Vaccination&utm_content=4-Jun-21

7 hours ago, Leebf said:

I did the same. Registered weeks ago and only got an email yesterday saying to go to government website to book. So bad. Just go onto the website now and book lots of spaces. Thats what i did weeks ago and booked in right away if i didnt just go online i wouldn't be getting jab until later on in year. Give it a go. As you're in your 40s you have lots of options. Link below. Once you answer questions it will allow you to book:

https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/eligibility?utm_source=NSW Government&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Consumer Covid19_Vaccination&utm_term=COVID_19 Vaccination&utm_content=4-Jun-21

I did get this yesterday too! But there aren't any appointments with NSW Health until bloody September. I tried booking at one of the Sonic sites but they don't accept general public 40-49. Such an epic balls up.

7 hours ago, San said:

I did get this yesterday too! But there aren't any appointments with NSW Health until bloody September. I tried booking at one of the Sonic sites but they don't accept general public 40-49. Such an epic balls up.

As long as we cover ourselves with Gladys Berejiklian blood all over our bodies we are safe from the virus hehehe

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, Creepy Insane Person said:

As long as we cover ourselves with Gladys Berejiklian blood all over our bodies we are safe from the virus hehehe

:lol: 

Gladys is not looking so great now.  Should have acted sooner.  Weird that now the Sydney AFL teams are playing In Melbourne due to state border closures. Last year it was the other way round. 

Australia is criminally behind on vaccination rates. Scott Morrison has let all states of Australia down. 

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

:lol: 

Gladys is not looking so great now.  Should have acted sooner.  Weird that now the Sydney AFL teams are playing In Melbourne due to state border closures. Last year it was the other way round. 

Australia is criminally behind on vaccination rates. Scott Morrison has let all states of Australia down. 

And now Melbourne is the safest place in Australia. Hopefully Dan Andrew’s isn’t tempted to join the party and do a lockdown just for the sake of it.

Australia is always behind the rest of world what’s new lol 

23 minutes ago, Creepy Insane Person said:

And now Melbourne is the safest place in Australia. Hopefully Dan Andrew’s isn’t tempted to join the party and do a lockdown just for the sake of it.

Australia is always behind the rest of world what’s new lol 

Interesting that the Murdoch press has been getting stuck into Andrews and Victoria so viciously for over a year but has been singing the praises of Scott Morrison and Gladys like they are angels. Not talking of the people in Sydney who I love but only the Murdoch press, including the Murdoch press in Victoria itself which are the biggest culprits. The Herald Scum has been beyond vicious and always spewing hate on any Labor state government. 

The right wing bias is on display totally at the moment. Sutton in Victoria said the Delta strain can be transmitted by fleeting contact a few weeks ago and the right wing press call him alarmist, wrong and fear mongering. Pages of condemnation.  Gladys says exactly the same thing now the virus is sadly spreading in Sydney and the same press instead agree and feel sorry for her. My friends in NSW all feel the same.  The press treat the Libs like Kate Middleton and Labor like Meghan Markle.  Either hated or loved no matter if they do the same thing. 

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Interesting that the Murdoch press has been getting stuck into Andrews and Victoria so viciously for over a year but has been singing the praises of Scott Morrison and Gladys like they are angels. Not talking of the people in Sydney who I love but only the Murdoch press, including the Murdoch press in Victoria itself which are the biggest culprits. The Herald Scum has been beyond vicious and always spewing hate on any Labor state government. 

The right wing bias is on display totally at the moment. Sutton in Victoria said the Delta strain can be transmitted by fleeting contact a few weeks ago and the right wing press call him alarmist, wrong and fear mongering. Pages of condemnation.  Gladys says exactly the same thing now the virus is sadly spreading in Sydney and the same press instead agree and feel sorry for her. My friends in NSW all feel the same.  The press treat the Libs like Kate Middleton and Labor like Meghan Markle.  Either hated or loved no matter if they do the same thing. 

I know there so much vile against Dan and Victoria but the lockdowns were necessary. I believe Australians in general just like to complain. 

Scott Morrison has bungled up our vaccine and quarantine program as badly as Donald Trump bungled American public safety last year... but if you look at how Morrison is polling, Australians aren't smart enough to boot him the way Americans did to Trump ☹

3 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Scott Morrison has bungled up our vaccine and quarantine program as badly as Donald Trump bungled American public safety last year... but if you look at how Morrison is polling, Australians aren't smart enough to boot him the way Americans did to Trump ☹

Alan Cumming is here in Melbourne. Travelled here as he loves Australia and was going to tour the country after appearing at the Adelaide festival.  I saw him interviewed and he said he could not believe Scott Morrison said re vaccinations that “ it is not a race “  He did 14 days of quarantine and now has to cancel his tour. Said most in New York where he lives were now fully vaccinated and things were back to normal under Biden who was the opposite of Trump. 

Scott Morrison is the most inept and insincere PM we have ever had. He relied on the state premiers who took charge.  Australians should have been vaccinated on mass by now and major quarantine centres built. Morrison just talks garbage and never answers questions properly. So awful to have him as our PM. I hope he is kicked out in the next election.

I saw that Alan Cumming interview @Jazzy Jan and thought it was a much needed dose of reality for Australians to hear what he said. And even then, Steve Price tried to counter and deflect from what he was saying about New York getting back to normal now. Alan was having none of it, bless him!