'God Control' should have been the first single from Madame X

On 5/15/2020 at 4:49 AM, jeditegovna said:

I agree. None of the singles would have much longevity in today's charts world, so they could've gone with the best ones first.

1. God Control in April, a statement song, but still dance friendly, setting up the album as something more than a pop album.

2. Crave in May, radio friendly, nice earworm song, AC radios

(perform these two on ESC + La Isla Bonita & Like a Prayer)

3. Medellin in June, released on the same day as album, real summery vibe, perfect for album release + added exposure from Maluma, let it simmer a while with the general public while they drink coctails on the beach and shimmy their asses to this one.

4. Faz Gostoso in August, grab that Latin hit and truly maximize the streaming potential it had

During tour release Batuka, Dark Ballet as promo singles to keep the era alive (not like these video were much more than that).

It's basically a better release schedule (IMHO of course, you're free to disagree) than what they did and all it's still with videos they filmed anyway (besides FZ). 

I totally agree with this release schedule, I think God Control was definitely the most powerful, make-a-statement incredible jam, and should've led the releases.

Crave next, Medellin at start of summer, and Faz Gostoso would've lit up the Latino charts and dance clubs. 

I would've released Batuka and Dark Ballet videos in the fall/early winter, and the final single would've still been "I Don't Search I Find."

I think this schedule would've given Madonna 5 #1 dance club hits, maybe 6.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:03 AM, DanM said:

Official French Radio Edit:

Also: where are the remixes??? We know they are ready sitting on a computer somewhere.

It's kinda bizarre that her team didn't release the God Control remixes last. Maybe the COVID-19 situation affected it? God Control would blast to #1 on the dance club play chart. 

Can't see most of the tracks on MX having. much potential in the US market unless GC had an amazing radio edit.

Feel that Bitch I'm Loca might have made a good first single for MX. It's just difficult to say these days. 

Maybe other MX tracks would have had more chart potential in Europe, South America, etc..

58 minutes ago, jjbradleynyc said:

It's kinda bizarre that her team didn't release the God Control remixes last. Maybe the COVID-19 situation affected it? God Control would blast to #1 on the dance club play chart. 

Maybe it’s time for #justiceforGodControlremixes

200.gif

12 hours ago, acko said:

Stop thinking in terms of what 'could have worked' for radio and such. From now on a project is a succes when and if

its artistic vision, and thus perception is a SUCCES. So yes GG was a better 1st single, if only 2 avoid  the 'Oh she's

working with a young latin act' now bs. That being said I can't b mad @ Medellin....that video :clap:

exactly. when I find that I am dissing the song...i think of the video. SO SO GOOD

20 hours ago, jaspit said:

American Life was the perfect choice for the first single.

I don't agree. It turned everyone off to the whole album and killed radio support for the rest of her career here in the US. Maybe the perspective is different for those outside the US.

22 hours ago, jeditegovna said:

And this is the whole point. Why bother with releasing something that *COULD* maybe in some crazy situation go mainstream for a while, instead of just pushing the buttons like she did her whole career? The whole point of "but Medellin was the most accessible song" is moot because it's more evident than ever that mainstream just isn't there for her new music anymore. Release the goddamn statement tracks, art tracks, etc. Show that you're still that uncompromising ballsy artist you've always been that doesn't suck up and give a fuck. Continue writing the book on how pop works. That's all I'm saying.

The only time she ever released a ballsy 1st single was American Life and look how that turned out. That's was my point. She backtracked and entered damage control mode. I don't see that happening again.

Did I just read that Medellin should have been remixed by a top 40 producer because Mirwais is too experimental? :manson: 

Madonna crafted a new level of music album with Madame X. A musical journey. An statement from a music legend, touching topics such as guns, women rights in Africa, an LGTB+ empowerment anthem. A rich variety of sounds and stunning visuals. Are we really complaining about how radio friendly is it? Of course IS NOT AND NEVER WAS intended to be radio friendly. Madonna herself blocked that possibility, creating structures aimed to music art and not vapid radio stations. The only reason why she promoted Medellin with Maluma was to let the widest amount of people know that she had a new album out. 

Sometimes I feel we don't deserve her.

Also I believe Crave is the only single in US from the album, since Medellín was never released as a single in the US as it wasn't sent to radios and the rest were promo singles. 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:36 PM, TRVC said:

exactly. We have been doing this whole "she should have released this single first and it would have been a hit" since the American Life days. It's nice to discuss the "woulda coulda shoulda" thing, but we all know any single would have been ignored. 

there are dozens of songs that come out that become "hits" but arnt chart bangers. its all in streaming now. you get public to notice on streaming, they go "ohi like." done deal

9 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I don't agree. It turned everyone off to the whole album and killed radio support for the rest of her career here in the US. Maybe the perspective is different for those outside the US.

Maybe not in the commercial sense, but in the artistic yes. It just represent the album the best.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, jeditegovna said:

I agree. None of the singles would have much longevity in today's charts world, so they could've gone with the best ones first.

1. God Control in April, a statement song, but still dance friendly, setting up the album as something more than a pop album.

2. Crave in May, radio friendly, nice earworm song, AC radios

(perform these two on ESC + La Isla Bonita & Like a Prayer)

3. Medellin in June, released on the same day as album, real summery vibe, perfect for album release + added exposure from Maluma, let it simmer a while with the general public while they drink coctails on the beach and shimmy their asses to this one.

4. Faz Gostoso in August, grab that Latin hit and truly maximize the streaming potential it had

During tour release Batuka, Dark Ballet as promo singles to keep the era alive (not like these video were much more than that).

It's basically a better release schedule (IMHO of course, you're free to disagree) than what they did and all it's still with videos they filmed anyway (besides FZ). 

I love this whole release strategy. Its on point.

Release God Control with an amazing lyric video, perform it in Eurovision, then let that performance be “the video” for a couple of weeks then release the actual video. Controversy, etc.

Crave.

Then release Medellin upon album release (but produced with a consistent reggeton beat a la Bitch Im Loca) and everyone else the same, video etc.

I would have then done Faz, then Dark Ballet and as a last single Batuka to end on an uplifiting tone with her singles.

12 hours ago, Eltacubo said:

Release God Control with an amazing lyric video, perform it in Eurovision

I think this could have been the original plan, since GC video was already shot, but they didn't let it perform it. Remember the rumours about a too much controversial performance that ESC organization was not too keen about? The contract signed at the last moment after negotiations? The GC choir would have been a perfect follow up to the LAP's one, the two songs are somewhat related and it would have been a more organic choice show-wise. Probably they decided to switch it with a less controversial Future (but with a trick) at the end.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, acko said:

Edited 4 those who find it 'unwatchable' I know we have a few of those prissy bitches here...so there ya go:

What a travesty of... everything!

Nothing beats the original. 

On 5/24/2020 at 2:39 AM, acko said:

Edited 4 those who find it 'unwatchable' I know we have a few of those prissy bitches here...so there ya go:

Was Jessica inspired by M? :1251: 

18830852-7495109-Eye_catching_Rodrigo_Al

On May 18, 2020 at 5:25 AM, karbatal said:

Did I just read that Medellin should have been remixed by a top 40 producer because Mirwais is too experimental? :manson: 

Madonna crafted a new level of music album with Madame X. A musical journey. An statement from a music legend, touching topics such as guns, women rights in Africa, an LGTB+ empowerment anthem. A rich variety of sounds and stunning visuals. Are we really complaining about how radio friendly is it? Of course IS NOT AND NEVER WAS intended to be radio friendly. Madonna herself blocked that possibility, creating structures aimed to music art and not vapid radio stations. The only reason why she promoted Medellin with Maluma was to let the widest amount of people know that she had a new album out. 

Sometimes I feel we don't deserve her.

I agree with the amazing journey that Madame X gave us, and I love it... but as any album it needed a hit, that is why they pick Medellin, a duet with a current pop star, because of his appeal to younger generations, still the video is very low on views, and the song was not a hit...Faz Gostoso, Bitch I'm loca and Crazy are also in the album and they are all pop singles produced by top 40 producers but they were not promoted.

11 minutes ago, dario said:

I agree with the amazing journey that Madame X gave us, and I love it... but as any album it needed a hit, that is why they pick Medellin, a duet with a current pop star, because of his appeal to younger generations, still the video is very low on views, and the song was not a hit...Faz Gostoso, Bitch I'm loca and Crazy are also in the album and they are all pop singles produced by top 40 producers but they were not promoted.

That's the thing: albums don't need a hit. No veteran artists have hits anymore. They have good albums. 

so why a duet with Maluma? they sure need a hit otherwise there will not be new albums no more tours etc. I don't think she needs more hits but I don't think she wants to be a greatest hits artist or only doing theaters tours forever. a hit help the album to be known for new generations like Hung up did with Confessions and 4 minutes on the Sticky and Sweet tour.

Edited by dario

Maluma wasn't used to get a hit, he hasn't even had a hit song himself in the US or Europe. They worked together because he suited the Latin vibe of both Medellin & Loca & they had great chemistry together. It was M's vision, not the record label. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

That's the thing: albums don't need a hit. No veteran artists have hits anymore. They have good albums. 

Does that applicable to Mango, Jancel & Pariah? :1251: