Brexit / British politics thread 🤡

Apples388

And I've read that the UK will once again use a pesticide that was banned in the EU because it's harmful for bees. 

One of the positive things about the EU that many citizens don't know is that is one of the most strict areas in food and medicine safety.

17 minutes ago, karbatal said:

And I've read that the UK will once again use a pesticide that was banned in the EU because it's harmful for bees. 

One of the positive things about the EU that many citizens don't know is that is one of the most strict areas in food and medicine safety.

I read that too, but they're literally killing off their own citizens right now, as if they care about a few bees (and yes, i know how vital they are to the ecosystem)

Tories gonna Tory.

Any other country's press publicising how much their govt's saving in pension payments as their elderly population drop dead of Covid? or is it just Plague Island?

pension.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Kim said:

Any other country's press publicising how much their govt's saving in pension payments as their elderly population drop dead of Covid? or is it just Plague Island?

pension.jpeg

Wow that's low ...is this newspaper considered a respectable one over there? 

27 minutes ago, Kim said:

pension.jpeg

Omg of all the possibilities to narrate this, they chose the most eugenicist one!

15 minutes ago, ThomasW said:

Wow that's low ...is this newspaper considered a respectable one over there? 

It's considered a quality newspaper but UK print media isn't really considered "respectable" anymore as it's all controlled by billionaire tax exiles who use the editorials for propaganda purposes.

The Telegraph is owned by The Barclay Bros (billionaire right winger Tories) so that story isn't really a surprise.

Btw I know my example is incredibly ridiculous but I was planning on buying items from two UK wholesalers for my shop. But now I have no idea what should I present to the Tax Admin in Spain if I buy from UK. I will start buying in February and I hope that it's clearer but truth is that I'm already looking for other wholesalers in the EU, as it's easier..

I'm a VERY inexperienced shop manager so maybe it's only happening to me, but I wonder if other buyers are experiencing the same 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

:americanlife::americanlife::americanlife::americanlife::americanlife:

38 minutes ago, Kim said:

pension.jpeg

source.gif

9 minutes ago, karbatal said:

...but truth is that I'm already looking for other wholesalers in the EU, as it's easier..

You and everyone else. Why on earth would you buy from the UK with the additional paperwork, red tape VAT and customs when you can just do your business with France or Germany for free?

This is the essence of the stupidity of Brexit.

What a draconian piece, and how overtly so. "We picked sacrificing our elderly and here's a reason why that deserves plaudits," basically. Foul.

Edit: But what would you expect from those who seemingly don't consume raspberries?

Edited by pithy

20 hours ago, Kim said:

*giggle*

Who needs food when you have a beautiful blue passport and don't answer to Brussels (except in North Ireland and Gibraltar and you have to accept the EU conditions in the goods you sell).

It's the fact they're not even attempting to fix it that's worrying. Same issue with swathes of seafood and fish rotting away because getting it processed through the new procedures simply takes too long. This is people's livelihoods!

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The way Boris and the press has handled Covid is an absolute disgrace. No heart, no plan, no compassion and no whiff of leadership from the government. 

It’s also waaay harder to manage the virus in the Uk than in Melbourne because the UK (esp London) is a much more global city and more crowded than Melbourne. Easier for Melbourne to do lockdown and eliminate the virus as we are isolated and very scarcely populated as compared to many big cities around the world, but in London, the fast pace, more global city that attracts waaaay more foreign visitors and tourists than Melbourne, becomes much more difficult to manage. We could get away with lockdowns more than many other countries can.

There’s only so much lockdown can do when it doesn’t crush the virus completely. 

I just hope the vaccine can come quickly.

14 minutes ago, Creepy Insane Person said:

It’s also waaay harder to manage the virus in the Uk than in Melbourne because the UK (esp London) is a much more global city and more crowded than Melbourne. Easier for Melbourne to do lockdown and eliminate the virus as we are isolated and very scarcely populated as compared to many big cities around the world, but in London, the fast pace, more global city that attracts waaaay more foreign visitors and tourists than Melbourne, becomes much more difficult to manage. We could get away with lockdowns more than many other countries can.

There’s only so much lockdown can do when it doesn’t crush the virus completely. 

Melbourne is very populated and busy. Sydney and Melbourne are huge cities and contain so much of Australia’s population between them. 

22 minutes ago, Creepy Insane Person said:

It’s also waaay harder to manage the virus in the Uk than in Melbourne because the UK (esp London) is a much more global city and more crowded than Melbourne. Easier for Melbourne to do lockdown and eliminate the virus as we are isolated and very scarcely populated as compared to many big cities around the world, but in London, the fast pace, more global city that attracts waaaay more foreign visitors and tourists than Melbourne, becomes much more difficult to manage. A lock down in the UK disrupts live way more than it does in little Melbourne.

Before this month you could fly in and out of London to/from most of the world with no questions, no testing, no nothing. There was an ineffective quarantine scheme in place for certain countries that wasn't checked properly for compliance.

It's these lax border controls that have taken the UK (a very small island geographically lest we forget) from almost beating the virus a few months ago to recording its worst ever daily death toll last week.

Strict controls, which yes, could easily have been put in place as other cities across the world have, especially in Asia, would have made a world of difference.

It was a simple *choice* not to.

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Melbourne is very populated and busy. Sydney and Melbourne are huge cities and contain so much of Australia’s population between them. 

Sydney and Melbourne is def big and crowded in Australia. Don’t want you to assume I’m implying they are little country towns when they are not. Or confusing them with Adelaide, Perth and Darwin lol 🙂  I love Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane way more than Shitty Perth or shitty Adelaide lol yes they do have majority of Australia’s population which is small compared to many places. But that’s what makes it liveable and has given aus an advantage in beating the virus. 

I’m just talking on a global scale. Anyway, I don’t want to hijack this thread. 

On 1/11/2021 at 3:04 AM, Kim said:

pension.jpeg

Just saw this and felt extremely sick to my stomach seeing this. Maybe the govt thinks there are benefits to this hence slow approach, if at all. 

and sorry for spamming ur notifications again. Didn’t mean to >< ill multi quote instead 

I just wish for you, Aussies, the virus won't come back during your winter. We had almost zero case during last summer, after our 1st wave. Now that winter is back it's totally out of control. 😞

2 minutes ago, runa said:

I just wish for you, Aussies, the virus won't come back during your winter. We had almost zero case during last summer, after our 1st wave. Now that winter is back it's totally out of control. 😞

I think it will be OK 🙂 💗 Given our winters are mild, and the fact that we will be well into a vaccination program by the time is gets 'cold' in June/July. I just hope they reconsider the Astra Zeneca vaccine which is currently noted as having a 62% efficacy rate...we've bought 50M doses of this, versus only 10M of the Pfizer one which is ~95% effective.

are you getting the vaccine, yet, @San ? 

It's distributed since december, here, but it's going pretty slowly. At this rythm they will take almost a year to vaccine everybody. 

(sorry to derail this thread, btw ! )

31 minutes ago, runa said:

are you getting the vaccine, yet, @San ? 

It's distributed since december, here, but it's going pretty slowly. At this rythm they will take almost a year to vaccine everybody. 

(sorry to derail this thread, btw ! )

No, it will start in mid-late February. I'm not stressed about getting it ASAP; I feel safe with the measures in place and can wait 🙂 

5 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Perfectly normal country.

Meanwhile the latest Tory scandal has been the removal of £30 lunch vouchers (for 2 weeks worth of food) for vulnerable schoolkids learning from home being replaced with food boxes from private companies (Tory donors) worth £5 that look like something from Victorian times. Imagine actually voting for these evil cunts.

food.jpeg