J.K. Rowling Faces Criticism for Transgender Comment

MadFan

gHMhWPl.jpg?1

(NEW YORK) — J.K. Rowling is facing widespread criticism from the transgender community and other activists after tweeting support for a researcher who lost her job for stating that people cannot change their biological sex.

The researcher, Maya Forstater, had been a visiting fellow at the Centre for Global Development, which in March declined to renew her contract. A London judge this week upheld her dismissal, finding that her views of sexual identity were “absolutist,” even if they violate someone’s “dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.”

On Thursday morning, Rowling tweeted a response that said:

The Harry Potter author is otherwise known for her liberal political views and many on Twitter labeled her a TERF (Trans Exclusive Radical Feminist). Among those criticizing her was the Human Rights Campaign, which tweeted:

A spokeswoman for Rowling said that the author would not have any further comment.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:49 AM, IsaacHarris said:

Oh shit :rotfl:

She posted that knowing full well how folks would react & I love it!

#IStandWithMaya  #IStandWithJK

+1

Every one here supporting the idea that transgender people haven't got the rights to change sex or be considered the sex they feel inside are disgusting and despicable. I hope you all block me because you make me nauseous. How would you feel if anybody supported that baker that didn't want to sell the wedding cake to the gay couple? Because this is exactly the same. 

It's a discussion that is more complicated than people are making it seem. Everyone wants to oversimplify everything. The question of whether transwomen should be allowed to use the same clinics that are used for women's health issues, for example, is a legitimate one.

On 12/26/2019 at 11:18 AM, impr3ssive_instant said:

It's a discussion that is more complicated than people are making it seem. Everyone wants to oversimplify everything. The question of whether transwomen should be allowed to use the same clinics that are used for women's health issues, for example, is a legitimate one.

So true, not a social media type issue for the outraged mob wanting to shut down any actual discussion

11 hours ago, roma said:

So true, not a social media type issue for the outraged mob wanting to shut down any actual discussion

Would you discuss if someone told you that gay couples can't marry? Simple question. Would answers supporting gay rights be "outraged mob"? 

24 minutes ago, karbatal said:

What do you mean by "denying human biology"?

What if a born male who transitioned wants to join a female sports/athlete team? Even though he’s become female, there’s still way more muscle mass compared to born females. It’s all complicated (but worth discussing, of course!)

I think karbatal means would you be willing to bend, and see "both sides". Whenever I hear that kind of rhetoric I think that that's what they said about us "regular gays" 25 years ago, and still do in many parts of the world today. Is there a "both sides" to passing anti-discrimination laws for gay people in employment, housing, education, public accommodations? How about black people using the same water fountains, movie theatres, schools, bus seats? What's up for discussion?

I'm glad that human biology was brought up - imagine the discussion was segregating black athletes from certain sports because on average they have greater lean body mass than non-black athletes. Or Dutch women because they tend to be taller. That would be absurd, right?

And yes, when gay men flirt with transphobia (and it happens often) it's particularly egregious. Just because we have it better than we ever have does not mean we should turn our backs on the group that is by far the most marginalized, and who has gone to bat for us many, many times.

3 hours ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

Of course. How else would people come to a solution without a discussion? How else would you educate someone and change their mind?

:rotfl:

"Jews should be incarcerated"

"Ok let's discuss it"

When someone says things against human rights there's no discussion. That person is a complete moron. Do you know why I know? Because in Spain for years the conservative were discussing gay rights until a new government approved gay marriage and told them to fuck off. 

There's no discussion about this. 

2 hours ago, MadFan said:

I think karbatal means would you be willing to bend, and see "both sides". Whenever I hear that kind of rhetoric I think that that's what they said about us "regular gays" 25 years ago, and still do in many parts of the world today. Is there a "both sides" to passing anti-discrimination laws for gay people in employment, housing, education, public accommodations? How about black people using the same water fountains, movie theatres, schools, bus seats? What's up for discussion?

I'm glad that human biology was brought up - imagine the discussion was segregating black athletes from certain sports because on average they have greater lean body mass than non-black athletes. Or Dutch women because they tend to be taller. That would be absurd, right?

And yes, when gay men flirt with transphobia (and it happens often) it's particularly egregious. Just because we have it better than we ever have does not mean we should turn our backs on the group that is by far the most marginalized, and who has gone to bat for us many, many times.

Thank you so much for this post. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

3 hours ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

Of course. How else would people come to a solution without a discussion? How else would you educate someone and change their mind?

With fair LAWS. And obeying the law. And if they rant on twitter NOT supporting them. 

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

:rotfl:

"Jews should be incarcerated"

"Ok let's discuss it"

When someone says things against human rights there's no discussion. That person is a complete moron. Do you know why I know? Because in Spain for years the conservative were discussing gay rights until a new government approved gay marriage and told them to fuck off. 

There's no discussion about this. 

Comparing the holocaust to this is absolutely ridiculous. This is literally the laziest straw man argument you could possibly ever come up with. Once again an example of black or white emotional thinking.

Of course I don't think that every issue has a "both sides" argument, but some of them do, and at the very least things can be discussed on their merits so that real progress can be made. Automatically crying out "transphobia!" and "racism!" every time an issue is brought up is the biggest reason we end up with shit like Trump and all this right wing populism we are seeing around the world (including Spain lol).

For the record I don't even agree with Rowling BUT my initial post was about whether or not transwomen are better served in clinics specifically designed for them instead of biological women, which was something that was being discussed. Does asking that make me transphobic?

It's also pretty funny to see people on this forum all of a sudden act like angels when we've all seen how Beyonce, Sam Smith, Gaga, etc. are talked about lol. Some of the most hateful comments and borderline racist shit I've seen on here has come from you, so spare me the self-righteousness. 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:32 AM, karbatal said:

The lesbian husband gets uglier by the minute. Was this ogre the one that torn Will Smith's anus? 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:01 AM, karbatal said:

I pray the lesbian husband shaves her hair when she's sleeping.

Please tell me again how woke you are? :rotfl:

10 hours ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

Comparing the holocaust to this is absolutely ridiculous. This is literally the laziest straw man argument you could possibly ever come up with. Once again an example of black or white emotional thinking.

Of course I don't think that every issue has a "both sides" argument, but some of them do, and at the very least things can be discussed on their merits so that real progress can be made. Automatically crying out "transphobia!" and "racism!" every time an issue is brought up is the biggest reason we end up with shit like Trump and all this right wing populism we are seeing around the world (including Spain lol).

For the record I don't even agree with Rowling BUT my initial post was about whether or not transwomen are better served in clinics specifically designed for them instead of biological women, which was something that was being discussed. Does asking that make me transphobic?

It's also pretty funny to see people on this forum all of a sudden act like angels when we've all seen how Beyonce, Sam Smith, Gaga, etc. are talked about lol. Some of the most hateful comments and borderline racist shit I've seen on here has come from you, so spare me the self-righteousness. 

Please tell me again how woke you are? :rotfl:

Absurda

Are you really taking my Beyonce attempt to humour posts to strengthen your opinion? :lmao:

I have no time for you. 

• 5 months later...

I don’t know if y’all know or choose not to want to have this discussion but J.K. Rowling has been under fire the past few days for posting this tweet so much so that she’s been labeled a TERF and transphobic.

Twitter and social media in general are cesspools for people who feel the need to push their own agenda and massage their own ego by taking down whoever they need to to look more woke. It is not a place for discussion or debate. It's like the fucking Crucible on there. Hideous.

She keeps silent for a long time and instead of commenting on the pandemic or the BLM unrest she goes and speaks about that. Really, she's destroying her legacy. What a stupid absurda. 

There's so many feminist triggered because of transgender people. I just can't understand their problem. The only good thing about it is that the hashtag supporting Rowling was once again highjacked by.KPop stans hahahaha