Madame X album general discussion

Are we all still enjoying this amazing album? I for one am still thrilled about it, and can't wait to see how she translates the songs to the live setting. MX is THE '10s M album for me. 

I’m still listening to it in full often as it’s still a new piece of work.... but I can see it becoming an album you only listen to every once in a while when you are in the mood. It’s kind of like I’m Breathless to me... doesn’t fit in with her other albums and isn’t something you’d just put on because you want to listen to some Madonna music.

10 hours ago, Bretticus said:

I’m still listening to it in full often as it’s still a new piece of work.... but I can see it becoming an album you only listen to every once in a while when you are in the mood. It’s kind of like I’m Breathless to me... doesn’t fit in with her other albums and isn’t something you’d just put on because you want to listen to some Madonna music.

Err..

Maybe it's just not album you enjoy and you have to admit it to yourself.

I don't know what this talk is about having to be in a mood to enjoy Madame X. I for one don't have to be in any mood to listen to it, whenever I feel like it I will blast IDSIF or Batuka or whatever tracks I feel like listening right then. I don't need to listen to the album in full to enjoy it, but then again I don't do that in general.

17 minutes ago, Andra said:

I don't know what this talk is about having to be in a mood to enjoy Madame X. I for one don't have to be in any mood to listen to it, whenever I feel like it I will blast IDSIF or Batuka or whatever tracks I feel like listening right then. 

Same for me. I only need to be in the mood to listen to music, and MX contains exceptional music. When I don’t have earphones in these songs are still playing in my head. The tour having a heavy MX focus excites me. 

18 hours ago, Bretticus said:

I’m interested in hearing more about what you actually mean about it being like I’m Breathless. If we want to debate the quality of something, it seems we should be able to deepen our analysis a little more than this. Otherwise it’s just a matter of personal taste as already stated. It’s a fundamental issue in the lack of dynamism and detail within criticism of this album. I’m certainly not arguing that you can’t dislike it or find it a lesser work in her canon, but please make the effort to elaborate. Because it makes no sense to the other forum members if you don’t.

In my view, I’m Breathless and Madame X have nothing in common other than perhaps if the listener simply categorizes all genres outside of mainstream pop as inferior. One was a loose soundtrack to a period action movie that had its pastiche roots in jazz and musical theater with the addition of an infamous global house anthem. The entire album showcases Madonna as an agile and disciplined vocalist The other is a broadly stroked global genre-hopping, deeply personal album on which the level of meticulous vocal production is both its genius and its greatest flaw. 

@Bretticus is a great Madonna fan who is just giving his honest opinion and saying that he personally feels the same way about Madame X and I'm Breathless. He does not need to explain any further about how he feels and was not overly critical. He has posted  enough on this forum for us to know he is a dedicated fan. 

11 hours ago, Andra said:

Err..

Maybe it's just not album you enjoy and you have to admit it to yourself.

I don't know what this talk is about having to be in a mood to enjoy Madame X. I for one don't have to be in any mood to listen to it, whenever I feel like it I will blast IDSIF or Batuka or whatever tracks I feel like listening right then. I don't need to listen to the album in full to enjoy it, but then again I don't do that in general.

Not at all, I love the album but apart from Medellin, Crave and Faz G it’s not a “casual listen” album for me personally. Err err err!

3 hours ago, Herfaceremains said:

I’m interested in hearing more about what you actually mean about it being like I’m Breathless. If we want to debate the quality of something, it seems we should be able to deepen our analysis a little more than this. Otherwise it’s just a matter of personal taste as already stated. It’s a fundamental issue in the lack of dynamism and detail within criticism of this album. I’m certainly not arguing that you can’t dislike it or find it a lesser work in her canon, but please make the effort to elaborate. Because it makes no sense to the other forum members if you don’t.

In my view, I’m Breathless and Madame X have nothing in common other than perhaps if the listener simply categorizes all genres outside of mainstream pop as inferior. One was a loose soundtrack to a period action movie that had its pastiche roots in jazz and musical theater with the addition of an infamous global house anthem. The entire album showcases Madonna as an agile and disciplined vocalist The other is a broadly stroked global genre-hopping, deeply personal album on which the level of meticulous vocal production is both its genius and its greatest flaw. 

Please don’t put words in my mouth. I just said that like I’m Breathless, I think I will need to be in a particular mood to want to listen to MX in the future the same as I do with IB. Both are great albums, I didn’t state they were similar in any way nor did I state that I don’t like MX or IB either! 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Bretticus is a great Madonna fan who is just giving his honest opinion and saying that he personally feels the same way about Madame X and I'm Breathless. He does not need to explain any further about how he feels and was not overly critical. He has posted  enough on this forum for us to know he is a dedicated fan. 

👍 thanks @Jazzy Jan

i didn’t realise I was critical at all! haha

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I’ll ask my own questions, thanks. 

37 minutes ago, Bretticus said:

Please don’t put words in my mouth. I just said that like I’m Breathless, I think I will need to be in a particular mood to want to listen to MX in the future the same as I do with IB. Both are great albums, I didn’t state they were similar in any way nor did I state that I don’t like MX or IB either! 

I appreciate your explanation, but you did state they were sort of alike in how you viewed them. My bad for asking you to share your opinion in greater detail. I  obviously misunderstood, but it was an invitation to debate. That’s what a forum is. Prime example of why there is no longer much of an active Madonna forum. 

Edited by Herfaceremains

3 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

I appreciate your explanation, but you did state they were sort of alike in how you viewed them. My bad for asking you to share your opinion in greater detail. I  obviously misunderstood, but it was an invitation to debate. That’s what a forum is. Prime example of why there is no longer much of an active Madonna forum. 

I said why I compared it to IB (in my opinion) - it's not an album that I can see myself putting on in the future when I just want to hear some Madonna music as they are more concept or "theatrical" albums that don't suit a casual listen outside of a couple of tracks (in my opinion) - and no need to be passive aggressive! 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Bretticus said:

I said why I compared it to IB (in my opinion) - it's not an album that I can see myself putting on in the future when I just want to hear some Madonna music as they are more concept or "theatrical" albums that don't suit a casual listen outside of a couple of tracks (in my opinion) - and no need to be passive aggressive! 🙂 

Great! Thanks for clarifying. I understand better now. All love and light here. Nothing personal. I’m only here to discuss Madonna. 💛

49 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

You're so condescending , no surprise there's no debate here.

3 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

Welcome. ☺ Hope you have thick skin

tenor.gif?itemid=5288711

Faz Gostoso is still getting the most daily-streams, over 120,000

Any news about Crave remix by Tracy Young? I've heard Crave remixes are out this Friday on Spotify?

On 9/4/2019 at 3:04 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

I tend to agree. Everyone is different and reacts to music differently and at their own pace. Music is subjective. Everyone has their own frames of reference they apply to their reaction and affection (or not) to the song/album/artist.

I'm very excited to see her perform her new songs live--that usually seems to clinch it for me. It's almost like, for me, that when I listen to it, I have one interpretation--then when I see Madonna's live interpretation of the songs she does live (from her current album), I seem to be drawn to that song even more--moreso than even seeing a video. Which is not to say, I love her revamping of her classics as well.......I could go on and on....

Like when Erotica came out. I was having morning sickness and just couldn't get into the record (except for Rain). But after I had my child, started feeling better then managed to make it to Philly to see TGS, and her awesome performance of Erotica, I couldn't' get enough! I love the song to this day.

Her videos have been great for this album. I've just not been drawn to this album like some others. It doesn't mean I don't like it. I know that seeing her perform some of these songs will bring the album to life and will give me new appreciation of it that I was unable to see before. I also try to stay away from spoilers. I'm old school and I like to keep it that way, sometimes.

Edited by Kelmadfan

I've never experienced the level mehness with a Madonna album release, going back to the 80's, as I do with MX. To me, my personal opinion and not a reflection of anyone else's opinion, I simply find this release and era a mess. The lack of promo and performances: one great performance, one horrendous performance and a bunch of boring interviews, hardly any press. The only video I've watched more than once was Medellin, the others were beautiful but no replay value to me. Honestly can't even be bothered to travel to see the tour and stopped listening to the album 3 weeks after release, except 3 songs I have on playlists. I've never been disappointed with a release from her u til now and it upset me at first but fine with it now. Not everyone is going to like it.

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

This album will be as timeless as American Life. The more I listen to it the more new things I still discover.

I totally agree.

Today I noticed how thoughtful the tracklist is.

In Medellín, M is candid and wants to discover the world.

From Dark Ballet to Killers, she observes the state of the world and sends a message of awareness.

In the C section, she analyzes her personal life / love life and empowers herself. The mood starts to change. It's confirmed in Extreme Occident : she looks into herself and starts to think positive again.

Then in Faz Gostoso, Bitch I'm Loca and I Don't Search I Find, she can be happy again and enjoy life.

She goes back to introspection in Looking for Mercy, to find a balance between her state of mind and the state of the world.

And finally, with I Rise, she sends and empowering message to the world and to herself.

Now I get why EO and LFM, while absent of the Standard Edition, aren't put at the end of the record. And we can also think that the dynamic of Madame X still works without these tracks. (Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, I wouldn't want them out of the album).

12 hours ago, Kelmadfan said:

I tend to agree. Everyone is different and reacts to music differently and at their own pace. Music is subjective. Everyone has their own frames of reference they apply to their reaction and affection (or not) to the song/album/artist.

I'm very excited to see her perform her new songs live--that usually seems to clinch it for me. It's almost like, for me, that when I listen to it, I have one interpretation--then when I see Madonna's live interpretation of the songs she does live (from her current album), I seem to be drawn to that song even more--moreso than even seeing a video. Which is not to say, I love her revamping of her classics as well.......I could go on and on....

Like when Erotica came out. I was having morning sickness and just couldn't get into the record (except for Rain). But after I had my child, started feeling better then managed to make it to Philly to see TGS, and her awesome performance of Erotica, I couldn't' get enough! I love the song to this day.

Her videos have been great for this album. I've just not been drawn to this album like some others. It doesn't mean I don't like it. I know that seeing her perform some of these songs will bring the album to life and will give me new appreciation of it that I was unable to see before. I also try to stay away from spoilers. I'm old school and I like to keep it that way, sometimes.

Yes,  get what you are saying.   Some albums can give different reactions later.  Same with songs.  I did not rave about Bad Girl until I saw the video and somehow it just clicked and I now adore it.   I did not love Heartbreak city the song (  sorry @runa,  who was stunned )   but when I saw her perform it live at Rebel Heart tour,  I found it powerful, beautiful and I know wonder how on earth I did not love it earlier.  I think it was the lyrics which somehow I did not earlier like but have done a complete 360 on it.,  One of my favourite powerful ballads of hers now and I adore her ballads.  Was once underwhelmed with the song Secret but now I love it so much. 

With Madame X,  I have found that I have 4 songs that I have loved a lot  from the start.   Never changed my views on them.  I have now added Crave to that list and I was not fond of that song at all at first - mainly due to the first verse.   Somehow Madame X has not hit me with the same love as other Madonna albums but that is OK.  In contrast,  I have a great great love for I'm Breathless.  Love the majority of songs on that album so much.  I always enjoy the songs I love and don't let the songs I don't love get too much into my thoughts.  Knowing too that songs can grow more later.  I love Rebel Heart the album with a passion and many Madonna fans don't rate it at all.  It is all personal choice with Madonna and I love that.   Always like hearing what songs other passionate Madonna fans  love.  Madonna has made the best music of my life.  I don't go a day without listening to one of her songs.

I don't like spoilers either.  But that is the same for everything.  Movies, tv shows, books -  I never want to know much in advance about anything.  Find the full on effect on release is always want I want.    

3 hours ago, Ray Finkle said:

I totally agree.

Today I noticed how thoughtful the tracklist is.

In Medellín, M is candid and wants to discover the world.

From Dark Ballet to Killers, she observes the state of the world and sends a message of awareness.

In the C section, she analyzes her personal life / love life and empowers herself. The mood starts to change. It's confirmed in Extreme Occident : she looks into herself and starts to think positive again.

Then in Faz Gostoso, Bitch I'm Loca and I Don't Search I Find, she can be happy again and enjoy life.

She goes back to introspection in Looking for Mercy, to find a balance between her state of mind and the state of the world.

And finally, with I Rise, she sends and empowering message to the world and to herself.

Now I get why EO and LFM, while absent of the Standard Edition, aren't put at the end of the record. And we can also think that the dynamic of Madame X still works without these tracks. (Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, I wouldn't want them out of the album).

You inspired me to do my own analysis of the themes as I see them. 

I think there are two main themes and I have demonstrated them below.

MADONNA FIGHTING FOR A BETTER TOMORROW

Future - The future is still bright and M is going to "rise above it all".

I Rise - "I can't break down now, I can't take that now, I rise."

Looking for Mercy - "Somebody to teach me to love, somebody to help me rise above."

God Control - "This is your wake up call, we don't have to fall."

Batuka - "Things have got to change."

Dark Ballet - "We know, but we are just not ready to act."

Funuana - "Times are all changing, we all need freedom."

Back That Up To The Beat - "Now I know how freedom feels, I'm never gonna stop."

Bitch I'm Loca - "Forget about the future and we have no past."

MADONNA FINDING HERSELF 

Extreme Occident - "Guess I'm lost, I had to pay the cost, the thing that hurt me most was that I wasn't lost."

Crave - "Ran so far to try to find the thing I lacked and there it was inside of me."

Medellin - "Another me could now begin." And "I felt so naked and alive, for once I didn't have to hide myself."

I Don't Search I Find - "I found peace, I found a new view."

Ciao Bella - "Have you ever been to the land where you can find yourself?"

Crave - "'Cause I'm just me, that's all I can be."

Come Alive - "Stand out no I don't want to blend in, why do you want me to?"

Crazy - "I won't let you drive me crazy."

Killers Who Are Partying - "I know what I am, and I know what I'm not."

I am obsessed with this album. It's a fascinating masterpiece. 

9 hours ago, karbatal said:

This album will be as timeless as American Life. The more I listen to it the more new things I still discover.

Completely agree. MX is a standout in her musical output for so many reasons. Her global, political, gritty masterpiece.