“Batuka” music video

4 hours ago, MichaelDieker said:

OH wow, chills all over my body and tears in my eyes, this is all so special. I am so fascinated by the Batuque now and learning more about the history, that broke my heart seeing the slave ships on the horizon and the women crying, yet the euphoric defiance in their music and dance and drumming, they are strong no matter what comes. Jesus I love this woman

"They are strong no matter what comes". I love that too and want to learn more. (Adding: and this, @Crozzauk might be why she and the Batukadeiras are smiling and celebrating in parts of the video) 

1 hour ago, Katypatra said:

Can we please wake up and appreciate just how CONNECTED Madonna really is with the world?? WHAT other pop star is like that? Mariah?

Just thought the same!
one of the reasons, why she's still on TOP!

1 hour ago, Miphiwart said:

I told you she just recorded her parts on the studio! Thats not her on the beach

#itoldyousoooooo

What do you get out of this? Please just enjoy the video!

What do the ghost ships symbolize? The ones that took the slaves in Portugal or what?

2 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

What do the ghost ships symbolize? The ones that took the slaves in Portugal or what?

To me it symbolizes the past history of these women. How they were tore from their homes and brought in these ships to Europe for slavery. 

2 hours ago, Lolasmommy said:

if this was the 80’s/90’s - the videos for Medellin, Dark Ballet, GC, Batuka would have been acclaimed as masterpieces by now and been nominated/won countless awards.

I hope God have eyes!! 6 videos so far. Again, we don’t deserve her majesty!

This video is amazing!  I really wish that people who don't get this album or think she's out of touch would watch these videos and listen to the inspirations and the cultures and people's stories behind the music.  This is not a flashy high budget video nor is it meant to be.  It is a beautifully shot and captured story of these women and how they never forget their past but also continue to defy it and celebrate every moment of life and freedom they have now . That last shot where the slave ships are on the horizon and then disappear is an perfect illustration of this.  I love this so much!!

2 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

To me it symbolizes the past history of these women. How they were tore from their homes and brought in these ships to Europe for slavery. 

I think the same..and the storm represents the dark period we are facing..after it, we will have the sun.

2 hours ago, Crozzauk said:

Video is beautifully shot and i love the simple and respectful premise of the video. Love Adjei's work - very photographic.

My only gripe / observation is that Madonna's performance is slightly at odds with the tone of the video. She's bouncing around and smiling throughout. doesnt quite connect for me. I appreciate that they are a joyous group in spite of their history - but the tone of the video is sombre, and madonna's performance isnt?!?!?

I understand seeing it that way but it works for me here. I actually thought her movements in the Crave video were more distracting.

1 hour ago, horn said:

It's a great video, visually & artistically.... but I don't really the way she kept repeating the same tune from the beginning till the end.

The Batukadeiras don’t sing per se, they chant. And their chanting is supported with the drums, the main and most important instrument. Drums are everything here. The louder they get, the more spiritual the chant. Batukadeiras always have a lead singer, who they all repeat after. They usually sing stories, sometimes they sing at weddings, and the chant would have a sort of an advice like meaning to the newly wedded couple or specifically the bride. The lead would sing a phrase and the choir follows and so on. 

Another masterpiece.  So grateful being alive to see this much high quality product in 2019 from an artist I’ve followed for decades!

A beautifully produced, moving video that captures the spirit of the song.  I’m glad that Madonna gave the visual spotlight to a couple of the more experimental songs.  Some of her best video work ever has come out of Madame X.

She looks sensational in Batuka, but more importantly, she appears joyful and touched.  She is an an artist creating for the sake of creativity and not for the charts.

6 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

I think the same..and the storm represents the dark period we are facing..after it, we will have the sun.

Yes! The video AND the song definitely have a lot of symbolism.

And I LOVE Madonna in this video!! 

She’s very humble, very sweet, embracing the beat of the drums and the presence of the Batukadeiras. I love her smiling, like she’s really enjoying it, and at the same time when she’s closing her eyes and holding her hands up in  despair, to me it shows how aware she is about all the injustice and that she’s really passionate about bringing light into this world of oppression and ignorance. 

Just now, Katypatra said:

Yes! The video AND the song definitely have a lot of symbolism.

And I LOVE Madonna in this video!! 

She’s very humble, very sweet, embracing the beat of the drums and the presence of the Batukadeiras. I love her smiling, like she’s really enjoying it, and at the same time when she’s closing her eyes and holding her hands up in  despair, to me it shows how aware she is about all the injustice and that she’s really passionate about bringing light into this world of oppression and ignorance. 

Amen

So many kudos to Madonna's dancing too and  the quirky way it was filmed. So d*mn cool 🌹❤️❤️❤️✨

And @Katypatra, thanks for all the cultural info. Fascinating. It makes me love the video, Madonna, and the Batukadeiras even more! 

7 minutes ago, Shane said:

Another masterpiece.  So grateful being alive to see this much high quality product in 2019 from an artist I’ve followed for decades!

A beautifully produced, moving video that captures the spirit of the song.  I’m glad that Madonna gave the visual spotlight to a couple of the more experimental songs.  Some of her best video work ever has come out of Madame X.

She looks sensational in Batuka, but more importantly, she appears joyful and touched.  She is an an artist creating for the sake of creativity and not for the charts.

I share your sentiments completely. The creative output this era has been totally inspiring and overwhelming. Luckiest fan base ever.

Oh, and by the way, let's appreciate that we've had 3 videos with Brunnetedonna, even if she's only wearing a wig it's her biggest image change since Confessions.

21 minutes ago, reQuiem4adream said:

I hope God have eyes!! 6 videos so far. Again, we don’t deserve her majesty!

We don t , incredibile work of art again

10 minutes ago, Shane said:

Exactly !!!

17 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

The Batukadeiras don’t sing per se, they chant. And their chanting is supported with the drums, the main and most important instrument. Drums are everything here. The louder they get, the more spiritual the chant. Batukadeiras always have a lead singer, who they all repeat after. They usually sing stories, sometimes they sing at weddings, and the chant would have a sort of an advice like meaning to the newly wedded couple or specifically the bride. The lead would sing a phrase and the choir follows and so on. 

Thanks for the explanation.

I hope such message are conveyed to those who doesn't have a clue about Batuka to avoid misunderstanding.