“Batuka” music video

1 hour ago, *mlvc* said:

It’s not disrespectful, I just don’t like them. I love 15 out of 18 tracks. I don’t have to like everything. Also, I don’t move the tracks around, just cut them. I think “Dark Ballet” has the most promise, but the overuse of vocoder on the Joan of Arc quotes makes you strain to understand the words and “Supreme hoodie” isn’t known well enough to make sense to most listeners. “Killers,” to me, is the worst track on the album, a wonderful concept with a beautiful chorus but odd verses... there is no such thing as a “native Indian” for example. “Batuka” has a good beat, but I think it could be a lot better, again, delivery and lyrics. Truthfully, the people for whom I have played the album aren’t fans of these three, either, and they very much enjoy Madonna.

i prefer a more polished pop Madonna which is why I like the bonus material more than those 3 tracks. 

I’m a huge M fan, so I love the vast majority of her work, but some things just don’t work for me.

On the other hand I am very excited about the tour and what she has in store. I think “Dark Ballet” will be an interlude and she will perform “Batuka.” “Killers” to me is a toss up.

Well, I have to respectfully disagree. Lyrics of both Killers and Batuka is one of the reasons I love these songs. I find myself singing these two over and over throughout the day because I love the lyrics so much. These are first two songs I memorized right away besides Medellín.  Also, if you gonna nitpick lyrics like that (referencing Native Indian) then you might as well stop listening to pop music altogether. 

I’m surprised that she hasn’t teased the video but is putting like 15 daily photos from the rehearsals and with GC and DB she was putting a lot of teasers and photos.

It’s good that finally she’s releasing the video on a Friday as it should be.

48 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Well, I have to respectfully disagree. Lyrics of both Killers and Batuka is one of the reasons I love these songs. I find myself singing these two over and over throughout the day because I love the lyrics so much. These are first two songs I memorized right away besides Medellín.  Also, if you gonna nitpick lyrics like that (referencing Native Indian) then you might as well stop listening to pop music altogether. 

“Native Indian” is politically incorrect to the point of being offensive. Native Americans aren’t Indians. I was actually shocked that Madonna used this terminology to force a rhyme.

“Medellín” is different, IMO, as it’s polished, flows, and has structure, and the vocals are smooth. Again, I like my M songs polished and to me these sound like demos.

We don’t have to like the same things as both of our opinions are valid.

P.S. I have no idea why the second part of my post is larger.

Edited by *mlvc*

10 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

“Native Indian” is politically incorrect to the point of being offensive. Native Americans aren’t Indians. I was actually shocked that Madonna used this terminology to force a rhyme.

“Medellín” is different, IMO, as it’s polished, flows, and has structure, and the vocals are smooth. Again, I like my M songs polished and to me these sound like demos.

We don’t have to like the same things as both of our opinions are valid.

P.S. I have no idea why the second part of my post is larger.

Ok, so there we go, you just don’t like it because your views on politics are different. That’s fine. Moving on. 

1 minute ago, Katypatra said:

Ok, so there we go, you just don’t like it because your views on politics are different. That’s fine. Moving on. 

No, that’s not it and it isn’t political, it’s incorrect. I don’t like “Killers” because I think it’s subpar, the “Native Indian” part is confusing.

Again, I don’t have to like what you like and vice versa.

3 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

I think “Dark Ballet” has the most promise, but the overuse of vocoder on the Joan of Arc quotes makes you strain to understand the words and “Supreme hoodie” isn’t known well enough to make sense to most listeners.

Cant argue here, the hoodie part l can get past as its got multiple interpretations and hoodie is enough to invoke KKK imagery. The vocoder distorting the most meaningful lyrics of the song by trying to be shocking just alienates the listener. I am looking forward to a live version that can be understood.

3 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

No, that’s not it and it isn’t political, it’s incorrect. I don’t like “Killers” because I think it’s subpar, the “Native Indian” part is confusing.

Again, I don’t have to like what you like and vice versa.

What is so “incorrect” about Killers to you? You keep stating your opinions as facts, but apart from “native Indian”, which by the way I didn’t have a problem understanding what she meant, all the lyrics are very on point and relate to everything that’s going on in our world. So how any of it is “incorrect” to you honestly just makes me wanna roll my eyes. You haven’t heard about gay people literally being set on fires in Uganda? You haven’t heard of hatred toward Islam or women getting raped? What planet do you live on? 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

There's a thread heeeeeeeere

(There's a thread heeeeeeeere) 

Where someone just moans

(Where someone just moans) 

Ahgahgahg

Considering the appalling problems of poverty, crime, addiction and violence experienced by too many Canadian's  First Nations and Native American communities in the most complete indifference of the rest of the population, I strongly doubt that taking offense to the term Native Indians in a too rare song mentioning them is in the first actions to take to help them. Just sayin'

4 hours ago, Katypatra said:

What is so “incorrect” about Killers to you? You keep stating your opinions as facts, but apart from “native Indian”, which by the way I didn’t have a problem understanding what she meant, all the lyrics are very on point and relate to everything that’s going on in our world. So how any of it is “incorrect” to you honestly just makes me wanna roll my eyes. You haven’t heard about gay people literally being set on fires in Uganda? You haven’t heard of hatred toward Islam or women getting raped? What planet do you live on? 

Untrue. I’ve made it clear that my opinions are just that, opinions. However, there is no such thing as a “Native Indian” in North America. I don’t understand why this bothers you so much, it’s simply the truth. As far as me not liking the song as a whole, well, that is my personal taste. To me “Killers” is on the same level as “Hey You” which again, IMO should have never been released.

Anyway, back to the point... I’m still interested to see what the “Batuka” video looks like. If it’s anything like “Dark Ballet” the video will improve the song.

Iconic F- the "Dark Ballet" was also released on a Friday, wasn't it? Not that it matters, given that even with a full seven days in a premiere week, her views can't compete with today's "current" acts, especially in the USA.

Just enjoy the work. 🙂

1 hour ago, *mlvc* said:

Anyway, back to the point... I’m still interested to see what the “Batuka” video looks like. 

Why?  If You didn't like the song 🤔

We already know that you're not gonna like it.. 🙄

So do we think this will be the last video? I hope maybe she will make some tour back drop videos of the songs as well I’d love to to have visuals to the whole album (a dream I’m sure) she could afford to do it but it’s more a time constraint I imagine 

http://www.ncai.org/

National Congress of American INDIANS 

The National Congress of American Indians, founded in 1944, is the oldest, largest and most representative American Indian and Alaska Native organization serving the broad interests of tribal governments and communities.

4 hours ago, Marcelox said:

Why?  If You didn't like the song 🤔

We already know that you're not gonna like it.. 🙄

Oh? I'm not a huge fan of "Dark Ballet" but I like the video, I think it's awesome.

4 hours ago, Nikki said:

Actually, it IS. Go back to school, sjw

Well, number one, there is no need to be rude, number two I am not a sjw, and number three, you are wrong. A "Native Indian" would be someone who was born in India. The reason that the term "Indians" stuck was because when the Americas were discovered the explorers believed that they were IN India, so they called the native tribes "Indians." If you ask Native Americans today if they want to be called "Indians" they will tell you that they do not.

SO, my point is that I don't know why Madonna didn't just write, "I will be Native American, if the tribe is taken" or something to that effect.

To those comments above, which got out of hand because I mentioned "Killers" in a "Batuka" video thread... I am well aware of gay people being burned, women being raped, the poor being downtrodden, etc. I do not live under a rock, my point is that IN MY OPINION these two songs could have really used some polishing in the lyrics department.

I love all of Madonna's albums in different ways, but I will be the first one to say that "Superstar" "Birthday Song" "Spanish Lesson" or "Beat Goes On" are head scratchers among otherwise brilliant bodies of work and I can say the same about certain tracks from MADAME X.

I feel some tension in some of the commentary and perhaps some of that comes from the fact that I am a new poster to this forum, sadly Madonna Xfinity closed shop and I was forced to relocate, lol!

Don't take me as a hater or a troll, I am a genuine fan that just doesn't feel that I have to enjoy everything and I also have the right to say I don't like a track or a look. It doesn't make me a less-than fan. 😃

18 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

Well, number one, there is no need to be rude, number two I am not a sjw, and number three, you are wrong. A "Native Indian" would be someone who was born in India. The reason that the term "Indians" stuck was because when the Americas were discovered the explorers believed that they were IN India, so they called the native tribes "Indians." If you ask Native Americans today if they want to be called "Indians" they will tell you that they do not.

SO, my point is that I don't know why Madonna didn't just write, "I will be Native American, if the tribe is taken" or something to that effect.

To those comments above, which got out of hand because I mentioned "Killers" in a "Batuka" video thread... I am well aware of gay people being burned, women being raped, the poor being downtrodden, etc. I do not live under a rock, my point is that IN MY OPINION these two songs could have really used some polishing in the lyrics department.

I love all of Madonna's albums in different ways, but I will be the first one to say that "Superstar" "Birthday Song" "Spanish Lesson" or "Beat Goes On" are head scratchers among otherwise brilliant bodies of work and I can say the same about certain tracks from MADAME X.

I feel some tension in some of the commentary and perhaps some of that comes from the fact that I am a new poster to this forum, sadly Madonna Xfinity closed shop and I was forced to relocate, lol!

Don't take me as a hater or a troll, I am a genuine fan that just doesn't feel that I have to enjoy everything and I also have the right to say I don't like a track or a look. It doesn't make me a less-than fan. 😃

You might wanna send the memo to these guys at http://www.ncai.org/

Screenshot_20190718-193137_Chrome.jpg