“God Control” thread

12 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Slant Magazine includes “God Control” in its list of the “The 50 Best Songs of 2019”. 
https://www.slantmagazine.com/features/the-50-best-songs-of-2019/4/

12. Madonna, “God Control”
Madonna has a reputation for being a trendsetter, but her true talent lies in bending those trends to her will, twisting them around until they’re barely recognizable. Madame X’s pièce de résistance, at least in that regard, is the six-minute “God Control,” which begins with the queen of pop conjuring the spirit and disaffected monotone of Kurt Cobain—“I think I understand why people get a gun/I think I understand why we all give up,” she sings through clenched teeth—before the whole thing implodes into a euphoric, densely layered samba-disco-gospel mash-up. Madonna’s vocals alternate between Auto-Tuned belting, urgent whispers, and Tom Tom Club-style rapping as she takes on the gaslight industrial complex and so-called political reformers. On paper, it might sound like the ingredients for a musical Hindenburg, but—somewhere around the midpoint, when she declares, “It’s a con, it’s a hustle, it’s a weird kind of energy!”—it all coheres into the most exhilaratingly batshit thing she’s done in years. Cinquemani

Wow. A reviewer actually reviewed Madonna's music instead of talking about her personal life or her past. I'm surprised! I always feel as if reviewers don't listen to her music at all and it's really frustrating. This was a joy to read.

13 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Slant Magazine includes “God Control” in its list of the “The 50 Best Songs of 2019”. 

Madonna has a reputation for being a trendsetter, but her true talent lies in bending those trends to her will, twisting them around until they’re barely recognizable. Madame X’s pièce de résistance, at least in that regard, is the six-minute “God Control,” which begins with the queen of pop conjuring the spirit and disaffected monotone of Kurt Cobain—“I think I understand why people get a gun/I think I understand why we all give up,” she sings through clenched teeth—before the whole thing implodes into a euphoric, densely layered samba-disco-gospel mash-up. Madonna’s vocals alternate between Auto-Tuned belting, urgent whispers, and Tom Tom Club-style rapping as she takes on the gaslight industrial complex and so-called political reformers. On paper, it might sound like the ingredients for a musical Hindenburg, but—somewhere around the midpoint, when she declares, “It’s a con, it’s a hustle, it’s a weird kind of energy!”—it all coheres into the most exhilaratingly batshit thing she’s done in years. Cinquemani

Excellent write-up!

5 hours ago, Suedehead said:

Let's face it God CONTROL is the best song on Madame X!! 

It is about number five for me but I adore and believe it to be 10/10.  

On 12/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, I Don’t Search I Find said:

THIS IS MADONNA. 

On 12/12/2019 at 6:11 AM, I Don’t Search I Find said:

:clap: Well deserved, it's a gem of a song.

Was listening to Gang Bang on my drive home today and realized that the line in God Control “the only gun is in my brain” is probably commentary to the songs that reference guns or violence (Revolver, Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer American Life and What It Feels Like for a Girl videos) and that it’s in her brain metaphorically. The GC lyrics reference her past use in her art.  

21 hours ago, ibizaboi24 said:

Was listening to Gang Bang on my drive home today and realized that the line in God Control “the only gun is in my brain” is probably commentary to the songs that reference guns or violence (Revolver, Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer American Life and What It Feels Like for a Girl videos) and that it’s in her brain metaphorically. The GC lyrics reference her past use in her art.  

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "gif wow sad"

22 hours ago, ibizaboi24 said:

And White Heat, Causing a Commotion video. The Who's that Girl movie, Dangerous Game, I'm Breathless,  the Girl Gone Wild MDNA entrance, the French Song from the MDNA Olympia and the Secret project..... I am probably missing some.  

3 hours ago, sul8323 said:

And White Heat, Causing a Commotion video. The Who's that Girl movie, Dangerous Game, I'm Breathless,  the Girl Gone Wild MDNA entrance, the French Song from the MDNA Olympia and the Secret project..... I am probably missing some.  

Shanghai Surprise.....:horn:

On 12/26/2019 at 1:15 AM, sul8323 said:

On 12/26/2019 at 4:59 AM, dcbyebyebaby said:

Some fans are really bored.

Open your heart - she shoots her finger!

She's a gun maniac! 😂

On 12/12/2019 at 7:11 PM, Suedehead said:

Let's face it God CONTROL is the best song on Madame X!! 

Wasn't a favorite of mine until now, but it has grown on me a lot. I realize how amazing "God Control" is! One of her most significant songs of this decade, IMO.