“God Control” thread

1 hour ago, zephyralexxx said:

Hope so. I've had enough his vocoder obsession. I want M's pure voice back.

It is the modern style.  Just about every single artist is immersed in vocal effects these days.  I hope that it does not end up sounding dated in the future.  We need classic songs for the future.  

14 minutes ago, sul8323 said:

It is the modern style.  Just about every single artist is immersed in vocal effects these days.  I hope that it does not end up sounding dated in the future.  We need classic songs for the future.  

Some of them won't sound dated. Daft Punk used vocal effects 20 years ago, Kraftwerk used them too 20 years before Daft Punk did and both bands have amazing songs and still sound fresh. 

I'm only finding out about all this now. I'm really disappointed in Mirwais. It doesn't make sense that he would do this. He's been my favorite M producer and I've always thought of him as a professional. I hope this doesn't screw up his relationship with M but I would totally understand if she never worked with him again.

As for Casey, he had every right to call this out and get paid but now, as others have said, he has gotten greedy. So because record sales suck now, he wants tour royalties? It doesn't work that way at all, as far as I know. He can get royalties if the tour is recorded and released but he can't get royalties from just the live shows, can he?

5 hours ago, side_streets said:

Some of them won't sound dated. Daft Punk used vocal effects 20 years ago, Kraftwerk used them too 20 years before Daft Punk did and both bands have amazing songs and still sound fresh. 

I suppose that you are correct. 

He says "My demo" (as if it were his original idea) 
He said Mirwais came with a strong concept, melody and lyrics about gun control.. He only translated what Mirwais all ready did..  And he recorded the demo.. 25$ + 15% royalties is fair enough for him.. He said he agree with all this because the contribution on the song was very small..  but now he change his mind because his broke and Madonna is too rich,and he wants 120.000$ in advance and 1% of the grossing tour because the song open the show.. 

But he also wants Madonna's fan to boo her at her show in L. A 😂

1 hour ago, Flip The Switch said:

But what does that demo prove? Did he compose the music and melody? Isn’t this an instrumental demo Mirwais sent him to work on and then he’s laid down a vocal with his changes over the top?? He should post what Mirwais sent him. 

I’d understand his frustration if this clip was the original demo and entirely his piece work - but it isn’t. 

I don't think this is a reason not to work with Mirwais again. I think it's safe to assume Mirwais wrote the track (English lyrics and all, Casey Spooner said himself they were clunky, so he "Americanized" them) asked Casey to record vocals for it and additional imput. After giving the demo to Madonna (among others) I think he probably believed it was his right to do so. Maybe it was, maybe not, we won't know until we hear the original Mirwais demo. Spooner himself expressed he "believes" that "some" of his "melodic work" and textual "editing" made the cut, but isn't sure, which implies the demo he posted isn't his sole creation, otherwise there would be no doubt about it's use.

It's yet another of these things where people love to jump on the bandwagon and display their inabillity to inform themselves (FOX anyone?)

anyway, wakeupwakeupwakeupwakeup...repeat and fade

29 minutes ago, Pretender1978 said:

I don't think this is a reason not to work with Mirwais again. I think it's safe to assume Mirwais wrote the track (English lyrics and all, Casey Spooner said himself they were clunky, so he "Americanized" them) asked Casey to record vocals for it and additional imput. After giving the demo to Madonna (among others) I think he probably believed it was his right to do so. Maybe it was, maybe not, we won't know until we hear the original Mirwais demo. Spooner himself expressed he "believes" that "some" of his "melodic work" and textual "editing" made the cut, but isn't sure, which implies the demo he posted isn't his sole creation, otherwise there would be no doubt about it's use.

It's yet another of these things where people love to jump on the bandwagon and display their inabillity to inform themselves (FOX anyone?)

Maybe that's why his lawyer quit.. 😂

He probably didn't contribute as much as he claim..  

I love vocal and piano on demo version (clip) of GC, like some previous  demo (girl gone wild, gmayl...) demos are better then final version.  

4 hours ago, luluthecat said:

But what does that demo prove? Did he compose the music and melody? Isn’t this an instrumental demo Mirwais sent him to work on and then he’s laid down a vocal with his changes over the top?? He should post what Mirwais sent him. 

I’d understand his frustration if this clip was the original demo and entirely his piece work - but it isn’t. 

So many questions indeed. Probably we will never know. 

Rather than attacking Mirwais, I'd say it's possible there is more to this story. Perhaps they are close friends or even lovers. Perhaps Mirwais said to his close friend, "I'm working on this song, does it sound like I mean it?" I have many friends where English is second language and I look at things for them all the time before they send them (work emails, etc). It's possible this "demo" was recorded a month ago? Spooner says himself he got real interested when the work on Mirwais's record stopped so he could focus on Madonna and then Mirwais didn't ask him to help with Madonna even though he wanted to. 

It could be just as likely Mirwais purposely didn't deceived anyone. And this is simply someone trying to get compensated from a misunderstanding and now is being vindictive because they made a bad deal. 

If we are to believe everything we've read, Madonna was told about Casey's involvement and tried to make it right. However, her lawyers FAILED in not getting this wrapped up before he blew his top and went on his Insta-rant. (Why does she always have such lousy lawyers?) They could have paid him his $25,000 (a drop in the bucket for her) and he would have been gone. Is it possible he refused to sign the non-disclosure agreement he alluded to in one of his posts?

Regardless, I always think it's cool to hear other people's demos and what Madonna winds up doing with them. The pieces of what became the opening lines of God Control are there, but it's clear that she made even further changes to the melody (the rhythm of the words are different, too) and made additional adjustments to the lyrics. Her vocal performance also brings to life what was an otherwise tepid idea.

I'm confident that we would have wound up with a great track even without Casey's involvement. It's a shame it wasn't handled better from the start.

6 hours ago, Pretender1978 said:

Yes. That's probably what happened. Since Casey just translated the work Mirwais had already done, Mirwais didn't think he needed to give Casey credit for it. It was just a simple misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, Priceless said:

If we are to believe everything we've read, Madonna was told about Casey's involvement and tried to make it right. However, her lawyers FAILED in not getting this wrapped up before he blew his top and went on his Insta-rant. (Why does she always have such lousy lawyers?) They could have paid him his $25,000 (a drop in the bucket for her) and he would have been gone. Is it possible he refused to sign the non-disclosure agreement he alluded to in one of his posts?

Regardless, I always think it's cool to hear other people's demos and what Madonna winds up doing with them. The pieces of what became the opening lines of God Control are there, but it's clear that she made even further changes to the melody (the rhythm of the words are different, too) and made additional adjustments to the lyrics. Her vocal performance also brings to life what was an otherwise tepid idea.

I'm confident that we would have wound up with a great track even without Casey's involvement. It's a shame it wasn't handled better from the start.

I agree. This should have been resolved quickly and quietly by M's lawyers. They dragged their feet and now it blew up. Are these the same lawyers that allowed her personal belongings to be sold? She needs better representation.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:26 AM, zephyralexxx said:

Hope so. I've had enough his vocoder obsession. I want M's pure voice back.

Amen.  Madonna has the most pure, emotional, clear and lovely voice.  She does not need any vocal enhancing.  It was interesting on the Music album but now is just too much and on too many songs on Madame X. 

45 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Amen.  Madonna has the most pure, emotional, clear and lovely voice.  She does not need any vocal enhancing.  It was interesting on the Music album but now is just too much and on too many songs on Madame X. 

Yes, save it for a remix. I'd love to hear these songs without the effects. As you say, her voice is so pure and clear, I don't get what it adds but I respect her decision from a creative point of view.

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Yesss. Her voice during her ballads era is the best one (1994 - 1998). 

On 11/27/2019 at 6:52 AM, idro said:

She should just take a Polaroid, write on it SPEND IT and send the fuck out to this man., period

Yes! She could also write "Dear Casey, sell this to make your damn money. Love, M."