“God Control” thread

5 minutes ago, Carta said:

I've actually advised Casey to get in touch with Tony Shimkin, who, as we know now, was screwed over by Shep Pettibone and robbed of royalties for most of his work on "Erotica".  When Madonna found out, she ensured that he was looked after (and he said that if she'd known what was happening at the time, she wouldn't have allowed it, since she's very big on ensuring that credit is given where it's due).  Casey agreed that 15% was a fair representation of his input (so the demo he's posted of the first verse of the track is likely his entire contribution to the song), and by his own admission, record sales don't make anyone any money these days, so now he's decided he wants touring royalties, too.  Since he's been offered full credit for his 15% contribution, he WILL receive money from the tour - but it will only amount to 0.75 of whatever the royalties paid to the songwriters involved in the 20 songs that are performed (i.e. each song will receive 5% of those royalties, and 15% of 5% = 0.75%).  He's done himself no favours by taking it public.

And there you have it. Said way better than I ever could. 

Madonna's touring CASH comes from MERCH sales...and no one else gets a taste of that. 

20 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

https://www.out.com/music/2019/11/23/casey-spooner-says-madonna-didnt-credit-pay-him-god-control

He leads with "Madonna has fucked me over." She has not actually. So bye. 

I'm sure this will be on TMZ, etc. soon enough. Anything to discredit. 

It will be for sure.  It's the first time someone well known has claimed that Madonna has ripped a song off from them, so it's going to generate interest, unfortunately.  Mirwais was foolish to do what he did and Madonna will not be happy with him.  Her naysayers will have a field day.  Connor knows exactly what he's doing by focusing on Madonna, even though he's been told that she wasn't aware of his involvement.

Saw these on facebook -

"He took a buyout for publishing, he said it himself. Then he got fucked on the taxes, and now wants a NEW deal for 1% of tour profits. That is no one's fault but him and / or his manager. He admitted that he sold his publishing rights for $25K - rather than opt for a percentage of publishing."

"Yeah, basically he’s mad that he fucked up and now is blaming Madonna. Also I’ve followed him on Instagram for years and he kind of flaunts the fact that he stays everywhere for free when he travels, basically for years now? He just rooms with locals/fans in whatever city he’s in."

This really sucks because clearly Madonna will never work with Mirwais again after this and that makes me tremendously sad after hearing them together again on Madame X. Casey Spooner definitely seems to have some serious issues lately, he’s been coming  across a bit mentally unstable if not completely unhinged and/or drug-fucked. Shame because he is also super talented and the idea of him working with Madonna would’ve been quite interesting. 

1 hour ago, strictmachine said:

Casey Spooner definitely seems to have some serious issues lately, he’s been coming  across a bit mentally unstable if not completely unhinged and/or drug-fucked.

It doesn't matter if he has serious issues. He undoubtedly co-wrote the song and deserves co-writing credits and proper payment. GC is one of the most important songs of the album decisively shapes Madonna's show.

Actually, Madonna could turn this problem to the good, if she would praise Casey's contribution, give him his co-writing credits, pay well for it, release the song as a single and letting Casey remix it. But this will not happen. It will likely be another tabloid massacre.

7 hours ago, Plaything said:

So disappointed in Casey Spooner right now. I always respected him and loved Fischerspooner‘s work but to claim that it’s Madonna‘s fault in his insta post and then post the entire truth (that it’s basically Mirwais‘ fault) in his stories is such a shitty thing to do...I don’t know what to say. He basically confirmed that Madonna wasn’t aware of it and that he got offered money. Now he wants more because he is poor and Madonna is rich. Fuck him!

Indeed. Its clear he is just being greedy.

1. he admitted Mirwias had already written it, and he just changed some of the words to make it more 'american'. Now he pretends he wrote the whole thing!

2. the offer from M's people is very generous, given it was not a single (and the video was not on itunes), so the song itself has made little money. If they work through his actual contribution to the song, it woudl be less than what's offered.

3.the claim for a % of touring is ridiculous. That;s not how rights work when it comes to performing other people's song live. If there's a recording of the show that gets sold then thats different. Its clear he just wants cash, no matter what.

his lawyers obviously told him he had no chance of getting anything from suing, so he's just making some noise to try to get more money from trying to embarass Madonna.

Guest eroticerotic

I actually like his version! would like to hear the full thing. all she needs to do is give him a more reasonable credit. 

But I LOVE offer nissim's remix of it

9 minutes ago, Querelle said:

Isn't that the way Madonna claimed songwriting credits to many of her songs?

why selectively only quote half a sentence, to make a completely irrelevant point?

1 minute ago, Paul said:

why selectively only quote half a sentence, to make a completely irrelevant point?

Because his contribution to the song is absolutely essential, if it's true that he co-wrote the intro. Even if he "only" translated it, it's shaping the song because it's his own words that Madonna speaks. It is common to name anyone who has co-written a song and no one seriously doubts that Casey's contribution was used.

2 hours ago, Querelle said:

It doesn't matter if he has serious issues. He undoubtedly co-wrote the song and deserves co-writing credits and proper payment. GC is one of the most important songs of the album decisively shapes Madonna's show.

She has offered him credit. He took it. Now is broke and wants 1% of her tour profits LOL. It's a bit insane on his part. He's trying to shame her into something. Methinks that don't work on Madonna. 

12 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

She has offered him credit. He took it. Now is broke and wants 1% of her tour profits LOL.

If he gets co-writer credits she must pay him percentages for the album and the tour. I guess that's the reason why she used only a short snippet of LDLHA on the RH tour and cutted it from the RH DVD/CD.

23 minutes ago, Querelle said:

If he gets co-writer credits she must pay him percentages for the album and the tour. I guess that's the reason why she used only a short snippet of LDLHA on the RH tour and cutted it from the RH DVD/CD.

She’s not stingy with these things. She is fair. She’s playing catch up because of Mirwais. He’s trying to hold her hostage now. Big Mistake imo.

The Sticky & Sweet Tour DVD included all those samples, so surely that would have cost more than using the whole LDLHA performance for the RH Tour? Especially as M recorded LDLHA and used the music from her own recording.