“God Control” thread

Emma Gonzalez is getting schooled a lot on Twitter not only by Madonna fans but also gun control groups that applaud Madonna’s video. Hopefully it sinks that Madonna is an ally and doesn’t deserve the ignorant gross misinterpretation she tweeted. She should tweet a retraction!

1 hour ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Emma Gonzalez is getting schooled a lot on Twitter not only by Madonna fans but also gun control groups that applaud Madonna’s video. Hopefully it sinks that Madonna is an ally and doesn’t deserve the ignorant gross misinterpretation she tweeted. She should tweet a retraction!

I saw her tweets as I was walking into the gym this morning to do a boxing class. I couldn't honestly believe what she wrote - how misinformed is that? It would seem she didn't even watch the video based on her tweets. And let's acknowledge, this video was not made for people that have experienced gun violence first hand. Those people (Emma included) know the horrors only too well and don't need to see it again in a video like this. It was made for the general voting public and for people in positions of power to help enact sensible changes to gun laws to help protect citizens in the US from gun violence. 

I have followed her for awhile and these comments make me question what she is really about. Anyways, I had a good class, imagining her face on the punching bag.

Fuck Emma Gonzalez! She's officially on my shitlist until she fucking apologizes. There are many disgusting people who deserve to be called out and Madonna is NOT one of them.

That was really disappointing to see from Emma, she is lost in the cause now and cant see the bigger picture. I feel sorry for Madonna, someone on all sides always lining up to bash her one way or the other.

Emma to me,  has become like Rose McGowan became for the "me too"  movement.  Both admired initially for speaking out but unfortunately make the issue all about them and become more of a hindrance than a spokesperson. Expecting everyone to have the same reaction as them to the issue and criticising allies and taking the focus away from the real culprits.   Emma was extremely ignorant, judgemental and did not even have her facts straight when commenting on this video.  If someone is wanting to be a spokesperson for a cause,  they should always know exactly what they commenting on and not put down people that are supporting their cause and giving their cause much needed support and attention. 

Have thought this for years.  When wanting people to " wake up" so to speak,  and understand either discrimination, cruelty, unfairness or needing change,  it is always wrong to criticise those on your side just because they either have not gone through the same thing or are of a different gender, race, age group etc.   Have seen this done so often and it is so counter productive.  Same with women who think men should not comment on wanting women's rights because they are not women. When in fact, men who support women and equal opportunity are welcome, crucial, wanted and are appreciated so much.  Sexism, racism needs to be addressed by everyone and made a cause for everyone.  By Emma saying that only people who have been in a shooting should speak on this issue is just stupidly shutting out so many people and somewhat alienating some that the cause needs to reach.  

I am pretty sure for example that anyone who saw the horrific scenes in the movie "  The Stoning of Soraya M"  would never get those scenes out of their minds.  Things often have to be shown to people to make them realize just how obscene and horrific they are. 

Wonderful to see so many other groups supporting Madonna though and glad they come to her defence so strongly. 

36 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Emma to me,  has become like Rose McGowan became for the "me too"  movement.  Both admired initially for speaking out but unfortunately make the issue all about them and become more of a hindrance than a spokesperson. Expecting everyone to have the same reaction as them to the issue and criticising allies and taking the focus away from the real culprits.   Emma was extremely ignorant, judgemental and did not even have her facts straight when commenting on this video.  If someone is wanting to be a spokesperson for a cause,  they should always know exactly what they commenting on and not put down people that are supporting their cause and giving their cause much needed support and attention. 

Have thought this for years.  When wanting people to " wake up" so to speak,  and understand either discrimination, cruelty, unfairness or needing change,  it is always wrong to criticise those on your side just because they either have not gone through the same thing or are of a different gender, race, age group etc.   Have seen this done so often and it is so counter productive.  Same with women who think men should not comment on wanting women's rights because they are not women. When in fact, men who support women and equal opportunity are welcome, crucial, wanted and are appreciated so much.  Sexism, racism needs to be addressed by everyone and made a cause for everyone.  By Emma saying that only people who have been in a shooting should speak on this issue is just stupidly shutting out so many people and somewhat alienating some that the cause needs to reach.  

I am pretty sure for example that anyone who saw the horrific scenes in the movie "  The Stoning of Soraya M"  would never get those scenes out of their minds.  Things often have to be shown to people to make them realize just how obscene and horrific they are. 

Wonderful to see so many other groups supporting Madonna though and glad they come to her defence so strongly. 

I have to agree whole heartedly Jan.

If anyone can bring anything to the surface and get people talking, it"s Madonna.

Emma will have less people on her side and do a disservice to the cause if shecontinues to have this arrogant attitude.

1 minute ago, promise to try said:

who is emma gonzalez?

She is a mass shooting survivor. One of the students who was present at the Stoneland Douglas High School shooting that killed 17 people both teens and adults. While I'm happy she's still here to tell her tale, she needs to be more careful about what speaks on and how she does it. Her calling out Madonna is NOT the hill to die on. Madonna is NOT the enemy. Emma's priorities need to be sorted!

2 minutes ago, Barbie said:

She is a mass shooting survivor. One of the students who was present at the Stoneland Douglas High School shooting that killed 17 people both teens and adults. While I'm happy she's still here to tell her tale, she needs to be more careful about what speaks on and how she does it. Her calling out Madonna is NOT the hill to die on. Madonna is NOT the enemy. Emma's priorities need to be sorted!

reminds me of the situation with Pussy riot: madonna helped them to continue appearing in the media, and once they were out of jail they weren´t very respectful to her.madonna is keeping the gun control topic in the media with this video/song, and speaking clearly in favour of controlling them, emma should applaud that

I'm honestly not surprised about Gonzalez comments. 

Madonna is tackling an extremely sensitive subject matter, so was expecting some survivors from mass shootings to have strong negative opinions. oh well.

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

I'm honestly not surprised about Gonzalez comments. 

Madonna is tackling an extremely sensitive subject matter, so was expecting some survivors from mass shootings to have strong negative opinions. oh well.

And that's fine.

She can have a negative opinion. Just don't make an argument based on lies: she stated Madonna should've put a disclaimer, which she didn't and insinuated Madonna is profiting from it instead of donating and helping which is false. She also said she had been thinking for days choosing her words on this subject so it's not a "in the heat of the moment" situation.

9 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

And that's fine.

She can have a negative opinion. Just don't make an argument based on lies: she stated Madonna should've put a disclaimer, which she didn't and insinuated Madonna is profiting from it instead of donating and helping which is false. She also said she had been thinking for days choosing her words on this subject so it's not a "in the heat of the moment" situation.

Hear what you're saying and I looked briefly at her tweets. Just had a strong feeling that some of shooting victims would misconstrue or perceive the video negatively no matter how the video was done.

Isn’t it telling how she didn’t even react to “I Rise”, which is basically a more PC version of a song of all that’s going on in the world? These kids grew up on tumblr and have a very entitled attitude, thinking they’re gonna solve all the world problems, but only by THEIR rules. That’s the problem with gen z unfortunately. It’s what I’ve noticed from sites like jezebel as well.. all women must follow their rules on feminism, otherwise they resent them.. it’s the black sheep effect.

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

My thoughts 100%....very well put together 

Madonna has always used her voice through her art and celebrity status to help many in need ....who were muted by the oppression. She is simply continuing her combat....One cannot be forbidden becoming an oncologist doctor unless would have cancer oneself.

Emma Gonzalez happened to be there...Madonna says let’s make something that nobody else will ever happen to be.

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

Isn’t it telling how she didn’t even react to “I Rise”, which is basically a more PC version of a song of all that’s going on in the world? These kids grew up on tumblr and have a very entitled attitude, thinking they’re gonna solve all the world problems, but only by THEIR rules. That’s the problem with gen z unfortunately. It’s what I’ve noticed from sites like jezebel as well.. all women must follow their rules on feminism, otherwise they resent them.. it’s the black sheep effect.

Bingo! 

5 hours ago, promise to try said:

who is emma gonzalez?

Someone, among unfortunately many others being in a wrong place in a wrong moment ...because this “wrong” is still enabled by “wrong” legislation....but same time among the very few who survived ....perhaps not (ever) completely from the trauma....but who fortunately are still around. There is something....random...about the whole thing with this girl....the main reason superstars like Madonna...must fight against....the ...randomness...of being killed....of suddenly becoming... someone...and innocent...and victim.

I personally feel connected...with how she approached the narrative of the video...as I hesitated several times myself  to go out to party... in Paris and in Brussels....i was almost cancelling Rebel  Heart tour un Antwerp....I was hesitating to take the risk to become suddenly  an innocent...as I don’t think I’m ...these kind of attacks affected then my life...How it happened to be in the surroundings of 3 atacks from Brussels and Paris,I may consider myself a “random” survivor....and how  I value highly my life....I highly salute Madonna ...her attempt to fight against the randomness of commoners, people like myself becoming innocent victims

11 minutes ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

how Madonna deals with so many Backstabbing people is always a mystery to me

The mystery of being Madonna...the global superstar she has become ...she is.  

Is I Rise cancelled by Madonna now? I’m not frustrated her voice is at the beginning of the song and through out, how ungrateful, did she even know Madonna used her speech?

Guest jamesshot

Arrogant and ungrateful. Her whole tone when slamming the video was disrespectful. And her lying is unforgivable. This is such a well made and impactful video that could continue to inspire more people to get involved in common sense gun reform. 

50 minutes ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

how Madonna deals with so many Backstabbing people is always a mystery to me

Because it's so easy and seems like every other celebrity is always doing such hideous crimes.... Elton John is one such example... say first, then apologise... too much freedom to say what one wants without thinking through the consequences.... and that's pretty much what happen nowadays..... people don't take another step to clarify their doubts, making their own assumptions and only to embarass themselves later.... with all that one has gone through in life, you would have thought such comments would come from someone we so highly regard of....