“God Control” thread. Video OUT NOW!!!

1 hour ago, bardo said:

i was a little confused by this too. it looked like it was going back in time, but some of it didn't seem to make sense since it showed people lying on the floor at all different times. i thought maybe the dark-haired madonna in nyc was writing a story and the scenes with the blond madonna in LA were depictions of those scenes. 

The back in time thing can be interpreted as a metaphor. Time moves forward, and it seems like the world is becoming a more progressive place, when in fact we are actually moving backwards in some respects.

7 minutes ago, Macromad said:

I wonder if she visualized the video at the same time she was recording the song and that's why they gave it such an unconventional structure, because not only the video is backwards but also the song. If we made it a forewards story it would be:

1st the disco part: people are enjoying themselves, not aware of the danger tehy are going to face.

2nd the choir: the shooting has already happened and  there is a tragic atmosphere, the religious theme represent all those "thoughts and prayers" that people give (sometime hypcriticically)

3rd "singing through gritted teeth" part: she feels impotent for all of those victims and her voice is trying to be silenced.

Very good point!

And to add to 3rd- she says her voice at the beginning (end) is as if her lips have been stiched together- to be silenced. But also when someone is dead they would sow their lips together- like Ms mother in Oh Father

1 minute ago, headonfire said:

The back in time thing can be interpreted as a metaphor. Time moves forward, and it seems like the world is becoming a more progressive place, when in fact we are actually are moving backwards in some respects.

Goood point.. as usual Madonna's art has so many layers. 🙂

I'm CRYING...that's how AMAZING this video is....it shouldn't even qualify as a Music VIDEO......they should re-name the MTV awards...the MADONNA TV Awards........

MASTERPIECE

And please guys, ignore TMZ. They are just looking for the negative angle. The same girl that was interviewed for that article was praising M on twitter, and thanking her for the shout out to her grassroots organisations. They just simply took her words out of context to make it look like she was being negative about M.

For once, the press is covering this positively, and I wouldn't expect otherwise, being it such an important topic. People, EW, HuffPost, CNN are all sharing M's message for change so please just ignore the tabloids.

5 minutes ago, headonfire said:

And please guys, ignore TMZ. They are just looking for the negative angle. The same girl that was interviewed for that article was praising M on twitter, and thanking her for the shout out to her grassroots organisations. They just simply took her words out of context to make it look like she was being negative about M.

For once, the press is covering this positively, and I wouldn't expect otherwise, being it such an important topic. People, EW, HuffPost, CNN are all sharing M's message for change so please just ignore the tabloids.

Do you have a link to her twitter? Thanks in advance!

On a side note, for Madonna is ok to show up at the club at 11:30 p.m. 😉

All the assholes who wrote those terrible reviews about Madame X should apologize now.

The video is amazing piece of art carrying a strong message...

Congratulations Madonna.

Im on a high with the last 40 seconds of the video the juxtaposition of the choir, the disco beat, images and the terrifying thought that she’ll end up dead in the story send shivers down my spine! On repeat mode for the nth time. Replay value is very high.

I don’t see how this doesn’t win Video of the year at MTV and the Grammys.  I mean, isn’t it objectively better than ANY video by ANYONE in years?!

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

I don’t see how this doesn’t win Video of the year at MTV and the Grammys.  I mean, isn’t it objectively better than ANY video by ANYONE in years?!

Right?!

the opening gives me chills! Epic!

31 minutes ago, Shane said:

I’m not sure they’ll acknowledge her but at this point it’s unnecessary. People who want gun control are applauding the video, from Ive seen on social media. That’s what will stick.

1 minute ago, cardiganstarlet said:

I’m not sure they’ll acknowledge her but at the point it’s unnecessary. People who want gun control are applauding the video, from Ive seen on social media. That’s what will stick.

I completely agree that it’s unnecessary, but sometimes I just feel like the award for the best video of the year should actually go to the video that is miles ahead of any other one to be released in years.

But definitely agree with you that the other accolades are far more important!

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Actually if you freeze the video where she's typing it says

We lost gun control.

Not God control

I'll try and get a screengrab

She doesn't need to sing what she types though. Anyway, god and gun are pretty close.

Wow, just wow.  She continues to push the envelope and make music and visuals that are powerful and have something to say.  This is what a true artist does.  No contemporary pop stars are doing anything close to this or would dare even imagine it.  While some would love her to be quiet, "act her age", or sing standards in some Vegas show, M continues to talk about what matters and put herself on the line to stand up for what she believes.  Whether you have been directly affected by gun violence or not, it can't be denied that this an increasingly alarming issue and something needs to be done.  Bravo to Madonna for once again lending her voice to illicit dialogue and much needed reform.

20 minutes ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

The editing is masterful. You can tell they spent a ton of time on it.

The video is a masterpiece that should get every award it can. And yes, the editing is amazing. Both the backwards storytelling + some cuts in the disco with people walking and changing the scene are incredible.

I like that she didn't go for the typical narrative of go out dancing/get shot.

Telling the story backwards was effective - the jarring part is when you realize she'd been brushing off gun violence that whole day.

The gore wasn't disturbing to me (very Dario Argento) but the narrative gripped me.

7 minutes ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Watched this 10 times already. This has TONS of replay value, which is a sign that this is a true masterpiece. 

I have only watched it once overwhelmed me and honestly scared me

20 minutes ago, luizotaviobarros said:

Views have slowed down considerably. WHY FFS??????? 

They’re probably frozen. They’ll stay that way until YouTube updates the views. Happens all the time with popular videos. 

9 minutes ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Watched this 10 times already. This has TONS of replay value, which is a sign that this is a true masterpiece. 

Same. I can't stop watching it! 

Just now, Barbie said:

They’re probably frozen. They’ll stay that way until YouTube updates it. Happens all the time with popular videos. 

Frozen.