Madame X debuts at 1 on the Billboard 200

I think she likes doing well, but surely she realizes her commercial heyday, understandably, is long in the past (at least in terms of projects having long-term/sustaining success). Traditional promotion- which was limited throughout her career, overall, compared to others- will only do so much.

The last promo could be the VMAs on August 26, they will be in NJ and maybe she can perform a number she could have already rehearsed for the tour.

She assisted last year and did a lot of promo with them for the Medellin premiere and chat, maybe they could pay back giving her a nom for Medellin, DB or GC.

Guest jamesshot

For all the publications who write hit jobs on her, like the fall from #1, I just click on the upper right of my phone, i-pad, and hit "Don't show me articles from ......" and that fixes that. 

1 hour ago, jamesshot said:

For all the publications who write hit jobs on her, like the fall from #1, I just click on the upper right of my phone, i-pad, and hit "Don't show me articles from ......" and that fixes that. 

Smart!

5 hours ago, HolidayGuy said:

I think she likes doing well, but surely she realizes her commercial heyday, understandably, is long in the past (at least in terms of projects having long-term/sustaining success). Traditional promotion- which was limited throughout her career, overall, compared to others- will only do so much.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Alvarø said:

Surprise, bitches.

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week27-2019.htm

I bet you thought you've seen the last of her.

09.jpg 2 / -
week 2
Madonna - Madame X
Interscope - 56.000 / 272.000

Still a Top 10. 

Although this thread is specifically about her US sales and the BB200 :laugh:  Those extra 56K sold in its second week represent the global tally within the context of the Media traffic chart (United World Chart) you posted

That said is kind of amazing that while in the US she can have one of those 95% drops it still does little to hinder her album sales as a whole, globally. Going from one to nine globally in the album second week run on the charts is nothing short of amazing, also in light of the fact promotion seems now concluded

And since the media loved pitting her against Springsteen, he's only sold 30k more, but with a very different release timeline next to her

He hadn't put out a studio album in six years and he's one of those acts you don't hear of at all in-between albums, whereas Madonna is put under a magnifying glass 24/7, including in-between projects

11 hours ago, sotos8 said:

The only thing that bothers me is that she didn't promote it really at least in the US , this means she doesn't care about sales anymore? And that reminds me of a rumor I heard on the radio right after the VMAs with Britney and Christina ,that she caught up saying that she doesn't care about the music business anymore 

Her future actions contradicted her statement (COADF, 4 Minutes).

1 hour ago, horn said:

Lambs: A #1 is still a #1, no matter how low the sales is.

This and ,by the way, in the sales chart Madame X was still  top ten in its second week even in America. So, she's doing fine.

A simple search would show that Hugh McIntyre, the writer of the Forbes article is a little monster through and thru. I mean,, The shill writes puff pieces about Gaga fffs. Can these publications stahp hiring stans with vested interests?? thank you next !!! !!

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
22 hours ago, sotos8 said:

The only thing that bothers me is that she didn't promote it really at least in the US , this means she doesn't care about sales anymore? And that reminds me of a rumor I heard on the radio right after the VMAs with Britney and Christina ,that she caught up saying that she doesn't care about the music business anymore 

Or maybe she just realizes that the album sales aren't going to be there like in her past. Let's remember, she did a buttload of promotion for REBEL HEART, so many live performances at the release of the record.  It didn't really help sell more records for her.  You'd think a week long stint on Ellen in the U.S., sales would be higher, but no.  The fact is; it's about the tour (which is promotion as well).  So I disagree that "she doesn't care about sales anymore".  I think the focus is and has been on ticket sales for the last several eras.  Let's face facts, streaming is now measured more over the sales of an actual record for it to be able to chart on those charts that matter to many.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:47 AM, sotos8 said:

Because AL was a flop.

She did care about sales when COADF/HC went to #1

17 hours ago, Amelia said:

Or maybe she just realizes that the album sales aren't going to be there like in her past. Let's remember, she did a buttload of promotion for REBEL HEART, so many live performances at the release of the record.  It didn't really help sell more records for her.  You'd think a week long stint on Ellen in the U.S., sales would be higher, but no.  The fact is; it's about the tour (which is promotion as well).  So I disagree that "she doesn't care about sales anymore".  I think the focus is and has been on ticket sales for the last several eras.  Let's face facts, streaming is now measured more over the sales of an actual record for it to be able to chart on those charts that matter to many.

:thumbsup:

Let's face the fact:

Physical albums sales

Those in gray are NOT 2019 releases

Rank - Estimated 2019 Sales - TITLE - Artist ( Estimated Total Sales )
01 - 414,000 - A STAR IS BORN (OST) - Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper ( 1,118,000 )
02 - 385,000 - HAPPINESS BEGINS - Jonas Brothers ( 385,000 )
03 - 356,000 - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO - Billie Eilish ( 356,000 )
04 - 349,000 - MAP OF THE SOUL: PERSONA - BTS ( 349,000 )
05 - 301,000 - DNA - Backstreet Boys ( 301,000 )
06 - 258,000 - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (OST) - Queen ( 447,000 )
07 - 231,000 - THANK U NEXT - Ariana Grande ( 231,000 )
08 - 185,000 - THE GREATEST SHOWMAN - Soundtrack ( 1,757,000 )
09 - 164,000 - HURTS 2B HUMAN - P!nk ( 164,000 )
10 - 158,000 - LOOK UP CHILD - Lauren Daigle ( 514,000 )
11 - 155,000 - GREATEST HITS - Queen ( 7,747,000 )

12 - 154,000 - FREE SPIRIT - Khalid ( 154,000 )
13 - 151,000 - FATHER OF THE BRIDE - Vampire Weekend ( 151,000 )
14 - 138,000 - GREATEST HITS I II & III: THE PLATINUM COLLECTION - Queen ( 1,460,000 )
15 - 131,000 - WASTELAND BABY - Hozier ( 131,000 )
16 - 129,000 - PEOPLE - Hillsong United ( 129,000 )
17 - 115,000 - HONKY TONK TIME MACHINE - George Strait ( 115,000 )
18 - 105,000 - WEEZER (TEAL ALBUM) - Weezer ( 105,000 )
19 - 99,000 - GOLDEN HOUR - Kacey Musgraves ( 240,000 )
20 - 97,000 - MADAME X - Madonna ( 97,000 )

No one is selling fantastically high.

PS: Paid and free Streaming not included.

The week-long Ellen stint was three days of single RH-track performances, with the fourth day being a "Dress You Up" "performance" in bathrobes, was it? But the point is the same, in that that kinda stuff only does so much for her at this stage, especially post-first week.

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
3 hours ago, HolidayGuy said:

The week-long Ellen stint was three days of single RH-track performances, with the fourth day being a "Dress You Up" "performance" in bathrobes, was it? But the point is the same, in that that kinda stuff only does so much for her at this stage, especially post-first week.

Even so, the idea is that she went out of her way to really promote Rebel Heart, and it still didn't sell very well.  So I find it untrue of the claim that she "doesn't care about sales anymore". And as @horn posted and I mentioned before, no one is selling that well these days anyway. Most chart successes are mostly packed with streaming.  Unfortunately, Madonna isn't a highly stream-able act.  And I wouldn't say Madonna isn't trying to get those digital and streaming numbers, because she's been heavily promoting her latest through Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon.  And as ridiculous as some found it last album, she did take advantage of a few newer social media platforms to promote her music/videos.  She cares!  It's just the general public doesn't care. 

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

Even so, the idea is that she went out of her way to really promote Rebel Heart, and it still didn't sell very well.  So I find it untrue of the claim that she "doesn't care about sales anymore". And as @horn posted and I mentioned before, no one is selling that well these days anyway. Most chart successes are mostly packed with streaming.  Unfortunately, Madonna isn't a highly stream-able act.  And I wouldn't say Madonna isn't trying to get those digital and streaming numbers, because she's been heavily promoting her latest through Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon.  And as ridiculous as some found it last album, she did take advantage of a few newer social media platforms to promote her music/videos.  She cares!  It's just the general public doesn't care. 

RH was leaked hella early

MX didn't have the tour ticket sales to back it up

There are different obstacles for each album. Not to mention that the general public just aren't interested in the music she's been releasing. Oh well! She's an artist and there is no one like her. MX is the best albums of the year. Hands down 

People say Madonna isn’t a streaming artist, but what exactly does that mean?  She is currently the 166th most streamed artist in the world on Spotify, the highest rank she has attained I think.  I’ve never seen her out of the top 350.  Out of all the artists in the world, this seems pretty impressive!  Would we say that only the top 20-30 qualify as “streaming artists?”

Guest eroticerotic

I’d say a streaming artist would be someone , Who has quite a few songs over 100 million streams and have some that have reached a billion.  But maybe not so consistently high on charts. Lana del Rey for example.

a hit artist has both a few songs over 100m I n streaming and is a regular top 50 hit act like Bieber and Ariana.

madonna is doing great for being four decades in.

Her streaming with new music can't compete with the younger, of-the-moment acts. Compared to acts who have been around for a similar length of time, her streaming numbers are pretty decent.

2 hours ago, Shane said:

People say Madonna isn’t a streaming artist, but what exactly does that mean?  She is currently the 166th most streamed artist in the world on Spotify, the highest rank she has attained I think.  I’ve never seen her out of the top 350.  Out of all the artists in the world, this seems pretty impressive!  Would we say that only the top 20-30 qualify as “streaming artists?”

It's her tremendous, hit filled back catalogue. Her new material is not streamed at any rate that makes much of a dent on the charts compared to other current music.

8 hours ago, horn said:

Let's face the fact:

Physical albums sales

Those in gray are NOT 2019 releases

Rank - Estimated 2019 Sales - TITLE - Artist ( Estimated Total Sales )
01 - 414,000 - A STAR IS BORN (OST) - Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper ( 1,118,000 )
02 - 385,000 - HAPPINESS BEGINS - Jonas Brothers ( 385,000 )
03 - 356,000 - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO - Billie Eilish ( 356,000 )
04 - 349,000 - MAP OF THE SOUL: PERSONA - BTS ( 349,000 )
05 - 301,000 - DNA - Backstreet Boys ( 301,000 )
06 - 258,000 - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (OST) - Queen ( 447,000 )
07 - 231,000 - THANK U NEXT - Ariana Grande ( 231,000 )
08 - 185,000 - THE GREATEST SHOWMAN - Soundtrack ( 1,757,000 )
09 - 164,000 - HURTS 2B HUMAN - P!nk ( 164,000 )
10 - 158,000 - LOOK UP CHILD - Lauren Daigle ( 514,000 )
11 - 155,000 - GREATEST HITS - Queen ( 7,747,000 )

12 - 154,000 - FREE SPIRIT - Khalid ( 154,000 )
13 - 151,000 - FATHER OF THE BRIDE - Vampire Weekend ( 151,000 )
14 - 138,000 - GREATEST HITS I II & III: THE PLATINUM COLLECTION - Queen ( 1,460,000 )
15 - 131,000 - WASTELAND BABY - Hozier ( 131,000 )
16 - 129,000 - PEOPLE - Hillsong United ( 129,000 )
17 - 115,000 - HONKY TONK TIME MACHINE - George Strait ( 115,000 )
18 - 105,000 - WEEZER (TEAL ALBUM) - Weezer ( 105,000 )
19 - 99,000 - GOLDEN HOUR - Kacey Musgraves ( 240,000 )
20 - 97,000 - MADAME X - Madonna ( 97,000 )

No one is selling fantastically high.

PS: Paid and free Streaming not included.

Facts on a stick

2 hours ago, eroticerotic said:

I’d say a streaming artist would be someone , Who has quite a few songs over 100 million streams and have some that have reached a billion.  But maybe not so consistently high on charts. Lana del Rey for example.

a hit artist has both a few songs over 100m I n streaming and is a regular top 50 hit act like Bieber and Ariana.

madonna is doing great for being four decades in.

Interesting

Thank you

2 hours ago, Shane said:

The problem with her is that her new songs are not smashing hard on that area (probably the too old for younger fans / too modern for older fans theory is right somewhat) and she (thankfully) doesn't have that one song casual fans go to the way they do with other artists so while the overall numbers are solid, individual songs don't have the bragging rights of having hundreds and hundreds of million plays.

11 hours ago, TRVC said:

MX didn't have the tour ticket sales to back it up

And also, MX tour is not arena tour hence redemption is much lesser than RHT.

^Rebel Heart redemptions amounted to just ~ 10K in the first week, as just a few dates or so were on sale leading up through the album release. And, physical albums were not part of the redemption offer. MDNA, however, was another story.