Madame X debuts at 1 on the Billboard 200

17 minutes ago, jjbradleynyc said:

RIGHT!? 

Proving just how hard it is to achieve a #1 album in the US on Billboard, with females, only Barbra Streisand has more than Madonna, at 11. 

Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston (Rest in Peace) all struggled to get #1's. It ain't easy--even for established icons.

I dont think Rihanna Mariah or Whitney can use tour or merch bundles so succesfully as M

M is a legendary Touring Artist

10 hours ago, acko said:

I need my album of the year nom.

Same. Gonna be a long time yet, but we've got Madame X to keep us company until year's-end. 🙂

Even Ariana Grande's TYN album, who has two #1 singles + one #2 singles plus massive radio & fans support,  only manage to sell 116K on its first week.

M has non-existence radio support and teens support, and yet still able to sell 95K.

Just now, horn said:

Even Ariana Grande's TYN album, who has two #1 singles + one #2 singles plus massive radio & fans support,  only manage to sell 116K on its first week.

M has non-existence radio support and teens support, and yet still able to sell 95K.

Pretty impressive if you ask me. This just proves radio play doesn’t guarantee sales. 

1 hour ago, horn said:

Is that girl a measure of success today? If so, Yikes what a bland and unmemorable chick. No wonder people dont want her album

11 hours ago, karbatal said:

Isn't Pink the biggest mystery in pop history. She sells loads for so many years and frankly she's never in news or commented or whatever.

She’s a bore, and nobody give a shít about her lesbian trapeze except the Aussies. 

45 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

I don't get the level of appeal of Ariana Grande and some others with biog success, though she has enjoyed huge streaming numbers.

Shammys nod for what, Shaun? 🙂

Pop Duo Vocal - "Medellin" 

Pop Female Vocal Performance - "Crave"

Pop Album Of the Year - Madame X

Album Of the Year - Madame X

Dance Record Of the Year - "Medellin" 

Electronic Dance Album of the Year - Madame X

OK so I made up some categories I think but she deserves at least 5 Grammy noms

Considering her history, outside of ROL, I'd be surprised if MX received any major nods.

requiem- Alecia Moore hart does great box office numbers, so more than just the Aussies care.  I like her, though have never seen her live and feel her music's gotten too samey.

In any event, MX is No. 1 on the albums charts this week, so yay. 🙂

I wouldn't be surprised if she gets Latin Grammy Awards. And then she can perf with Maluma & Anitta and bring the house down. Fuck the Grammys and their whiter than white bullshit.

Just now, frzndrwnwrld said:

If Rebel Heart was ignored, I don't see Madame X getting any nominations. It would be amazing if it did though!

Why? Madame X is a much better album than Rebel Heart and it is critically acclaimed. 

I would be surprised if Madame X doesn't get some major music award nominations. Don't know about the US though. 

2 hours ago, jjbradleynyc said:

RIGHT!? 

Proving just how hard it is to achieve a #1 album in the US on Billboard, with females, only Barbra Streisand has more than Madonna, at 11. 

Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston (Rest in Peace) all struggled to get #1's. It ain't easy--even for established icons.

Funny thing is that it feels like the public is bombarded with female pop stars as of late., many trying to follow Madonna's template for success.

They fizzle out because most suck and lack originality.

It's true that Rihanna hasn't had #1 albums, but she had non stop smash hits with tons of positive celebrity coverage.She is suppose to beat Madonna with most top ten hits, which is shitty. Guess rather her than the other pop tarts.

8 minutes ago, Nick said:

It's true that Rihanna hasn't had #1 albums, but she had non stop smash hits with tons of positive celebrity coverage.She is suppose to beat Madonna with most top ten hits, which is shitty. Guess rather her than the other pop tarts.

Drake will beat her before Rihanna. He's already at 35. 

18 minutes ago, Nick said:

Funny thing is that it feels like the public is bombarded with female pop stars as of late., many trying to follow Madonna's template for success.

They fizzle out because most suck and lack originality.

Yeah, tons of newbies within the past 5 or 6 years have had their go, but they are already starting to grow stale and fizzle out. Thing is, Madonna did it right--she reinvented herself all along the way, every 2 or 3 years, to remain "fresh" and seemingly new when she came back with a new album.

Doesn't hurt that Madonna is outrageously skilled in marketing, branding, business, song production and song writing--LOL. 

Female acts that have came for Madonna's record and followed in her footsteps recently, are Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Arianna Grande, and of course Taylor Swift. Rihanna, Mariah Carey, and Britney Spears are those that started in the 90s and early 2000s. But none of these really will have the staying power on the charts--that Madonna does--except Rihanna.

As for Rihanna and her overtaking Madonna's top 10 record, it certainly is possible, because Rihanna gets airplay on R&B/Hip Hop stations, as well as Top 40/Pop stations. Plus, Rihanna is only 31 years old, so she has another 10-20 years left of recording albums and releasing music, realistically. 

I *think* Rihanna has 31 top 10's on the Hot 100, currently. Madonna has 38.

Rihanna will probably overtake Madge's record in the next 6 or 8 years. IF radio continues to play her. She just collaborates with huge rap stars too, and that gives her a massive advantage over every other aspiring charting female artist today. 

Edited by jjbradleynyc

2 hours ago, dollhouse said:

I dont think Rihanna Mariah or Whitney can use tour or merch bundles so succesfully as M

M is a legendary Touring Artist

Or even when you have 18 #1s in your bag. 

52 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

Considering her history, outside of ROL, I'd be surprised if MX received any major nods.

requiem- Alecia Moore hart does great box office numbers, so more than just the Aussies care.  I like her, though have never seen her live and feel her music's gotten too samey.

In any event, MX is No. 1 on the albums charts this week, so yay. 🙂

Try was her last single I listened to. I don’t even bother listening to her new album cuz I know it would sound the same. 

56 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

If Rebel Heart was ignored, I don't see Madame X getting any nominations. It would be amazing if it did though!

Mmm I think  that MX has a better chance than RH to get a nod since it has scored better reviews than RH.

Maybe Medellín, Crave and the album can snatch one.

I’m not sure about the Latin Grammys because they have a rule that the song needs to be at least 50% in Spanish or Portuguese right? Do Medellín or Faz Gostoso have that split? Not sure 🤔 

3 minutes ago, Iconic Fetus said:

Mmm I think  that MX has a better chance than RH to get a nod since it has scored better reviews than RH.

Maybe Medellín, Crave and the album can snatch one.

I’m not sure about the Latin Grammys because they have a rule that the song needs to be at least 50% in Spanish or Portuguese right? Do Medellín or Faz Gostoso have that split? Not sure 🤔 

I think so since Medellin was allowed to chart on the Billboard Hot Latin Songs chart, and they have the same rule. 

For the first time since 1985, music superstars Madonna and Bruce Springsteen are in the top two on the Billboard 200 albums chart at the same time.

The Queen of Pop’s new album Madame X bows at No. 1, while The Boss’ Western Stars starts at No. 2.

As previously reportedMadame X launches atop the list with 95,000 equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending June 20, according to Nielsen Music. Western Stars bows with 66,000 units earned. Madame X is Madonna’s ninth No. 1 and 22nd top 10, while Western marks Springsteen’s 20th top 10.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption as measured in equivalent album units. Units are comprised of traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new June 29-dated chart (where Madame X and Western enter at Nos. 1 and 2) will be posted in full on Billboard's websites on June 25.

With Madonna and Springsteen at Nos. 1 and 2 on the new Billboard 200, it’s the first time they have been in the top two together since 1985. The last time they were next-door neighbors in the top two (and the only time before this week) was for four weeks in January and February that year. On the charts dated Jan. 26 and Feb. 2, 1985, Springsteen’s Born in the U.S.A. and Madonna’s Like a Virgin were Nos. 1 and 2, respectively. Then, the titles flipped ranks on Feb. 9 and Feb. 16. (Born spent a total of seven weeks at No. 1 and Virgin ruled for three weeks.)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8517130/madonna-bruce-springsteen-top-two-billboard-200

3 hours ago, horn said:

Bingo

1 hour ago, Monsieur X said:

I wouldn't be surprised if she gets Latin Grammy Awards. And then she can perf with Maluma & Anitta and bring the house down. Fuck the Grammys and their whiter than white bullshit.

Yeaaaaaaahhhh

Latin Grammy are nowadays a thousand time more interesting. 

Isn't it kinda weird that Madame X debuts at no. 1 only in USA not in Canada, Australia, and other European countries. 

I think the main reason is because Madame X tour doesn't have any shows in those countries.