Madonna NYC Pride thread

22 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

good. i'm glad she's singing god control! 

12 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

Yasss God Control. I wish I was going. 

(calling it now...she will never perform Like A Prayer again) 

Good

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

i wouldn't be surprised if she ends up doing part of "i don't search i find." i don't think doing "faz" is a bad idea since people seem to love it, but it would be unfortunate if "vogue" were the only classic.

8 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

People hated the rap, not the production. Is one of her best produced tracks. I sincerely loved it since day one and some people don’t and that’s fine. 

👍

https://www.out.com/music/2019/6/27/exclusive-madonna-madame-worldpride

Exclusive: Madonna on Madame X and Her WorldPride Performance

The Queen of Pop — and of the gays — talks to Out about her performance at NYC Pride.

BY ROSE DOMMU

JUNE 27 2019 10:15 AM EDT

madonna-credit-ricardo-gomesx750x422.jpg

Madonna has just said my name and I don’t know what to do. 

It’s a Friday afternoon in New York City, the week before Pride, and I’m on the phone with the Queen of Pop. Her hit single “Medellín” has just gone number one, making it her 47th single to hit that position on the US dance charts. In a few days, Billboard will announce that her fourteenth studio album, Madame X, is her ninth album to reach number one on their 200 chart. A week later, she’ll headline New York City Pride. 

Yesterday, I was asked to send her a photo. How do you pick a selfie to send to Madonna?

I start our conversation by congratulating her on the success of her new album, an experimental collection of overtly political pop songs (“God Control,” “I Rise”), slow burning dance tracks (“I Don’t Search I Find”), and stripped back bangers (“Extreme Occident”) that sounds like the spiritual successor of Ray of Light and American Life — if Confessions on a Dance Floor was the godmother. “Madame X is an evolution of everything I’ve done as an artist," she acknowledges. The icon is extremely demure about the acclaim, saying that even 14 albums in, it’s an honor to have her music appreciated. “It’s still exciting to have an album be so well received.”

With this year’s Pride festivities celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, there was really no choice but Madonna for the closing performance at Pride Island. The landmark anniversary has the Material Girl reflecting on the history of the movement and speculating on its future. “It means everything to me to be at World Pride,” she says. “I’m proud of having been even a small part of fighting for LGBTQ+ equality.” But she acknowledges that “even though we have a lot to celebrate, we still have work to do.”

madonna-credit-steven-kleinx750.jpg

Madonna has been doing that work since the early days of her fame — she famously included information about AIDS in the packaging of her 1989 album Like a Prayer and was vocal in interviews about her support for queer people at a time when that alliance could have derailed her career. That purity of purpose is still evident today on Madame X, which grapples with issues like gun control and political apathy, the latter being something Madonna is clearly not familiar with. In the music video for Madame X track “Dark Ballet,” the artist cast queer rapper Mykki Blanco as Joan of Arc, and the video ends with a message from Blanco: “I have walked this earth, Black, Queer and HIV positive, but no transgression against me has been as powerful as the hope I hold within.”

The Wednesday before her Pride performance, Madonna released the music video for “God Control,” an eight-minute technicolor daydream that slips quickly into nightmare with senseless acts of gun violence happening at a nightclub, a clear homage to the massacre at Pulse in 2016 that claimed 49 lives, most of them queer people of color. “Wake up,” Madonna chants over and over, imploring viewers to demand gun control now — the video even includes a shot of queer activist group Gays Against Gunsmarching at Pride. “God Control” came complete with a trigger warning about the disturbing content, but advised that these horrors are “happening everyday” and must be stopped. “This is your wake up call,” she sings over the track’s disco beat.

Pop music, Madonna tells me, is the perfect vehicle for activism “because it’s popular. Because people are listening, you’re able to get messages across you might not be able to otherwise.” She does confess that she wishes more contemporary pop artists would use their platforms to incite change. “I have always been an agent of change.” Earlier this year, M (as her team constantly refers to her, something I’m all too happy to pick up — we’re friends now!) rang in the New Year at the Stonewall Inn, compelling revelers to “never forget the Stonewall riots and those who bravely stood up and said ‘enough.’” She accepted GLAAD’s Advocate for Change Award and delivered a powerful speech about her decades of queer activism. “Why have I always fought for change?” she asked at the time. “It’s a hard question to answer. It’s like trying to explain the importance of breathing or the need to love.”

Hours after I speak with Madonna, Ty Sunderland’s monthly pop dance party Heaven on Earth sets sail for a special nautical edition honoring Madonna, a theme Sunderland decided on before he learned the Queen would be performing at Pride. Every time Sunderland dropped a Madonna track, an instant change swept over the crowd. “She has this power that, regardless of your age, you know the song and you love the song,” he recalls. “She’s one of the ultimate connections for multiple generations of gay people, there’s something unifying about her. I can be playing ‘Like a Prayer’ for a bunch of 20 year-olds or a bunch of 50 year-olds, and everyone is going to be screaming the lyrics.”

Drag Race winner Aquaria was the party’s guest DJ — she showed up in a full Madame X look, which she calls “secret agent prostitute” — and was struck by the enduring power of Madonna’s legacy. “She’s this example of bravery and strength,” Aquaria says. “She never backed down, she was always fighting for something. She’s a woman with extremely strong opinions and, with queer people being a marginalized group, we gravitate towards people who take a stance and want to do good in the world.”

That fight is what’s inspired Madonna to keep creating music, to keep fighting for change. Her greatest triumph, she reveals, is motherhood. “My children are the most important thing in my life,” she insists. And perhaps that’s part of why queer people love Madonna so intensely and enduringly. Throughout her career, she’s been pop’s most striking maternal figure — after all, she's named after her own mother and one of the most famous mothers in history. 

But this is one mother who won’t disapprove of your Pride revelry. Before we hang up, I ask Madonna the burning question on everyone's minds: Is Madame X a top or a bottom?

“She’s both,” she laughs. “I don’t like choosing sides.” :chuckle:

3 hours ago, alquemist said:

Eat this, all moaners, after having complained extensively that she‘s not performing this song.

MADONNAAAAA !!

:laugh: 👍

18 minutes ago, karbatal said:

They should film it and upload it as they did with the MET gala. With no vocal retouching. 

Plus one

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

her voice in the rap is so good.. I thought it was lip synched till I heard "shit"

OMG I THOUGHT IT WAS LIPPED SINCED  ! I love her voice 

Edited by Sideris

16 minutes ago, Sideris said:

OMG I THOUGHT IT WAS LIPPED SINCED  ! I love her voice 

She's rapping along to a very heavy backing track - you can hear her voice more in that last line just before SHIT!

After seeing the potential/unconfirmed setlist, hearing God Control and I Rise, and after seeing the unabashed brilliance of the God Control video, I'm feeling more confident about the pride perf. Could actually be iconic tbqh? We will see. 

[Xtina]Noms announced and I'm WINNING

Usually at the Billboards just PERFING

Feelin' all G-A-Y

I don't care it's NYC PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!![/Xtina]

@Monsieur X

And yes that is a reference to G-A-Y London nightclub perf by MARGE in 2005. 

4 hours ago, alquemist said:

Eat this, all moaners, after having complained extensively that she‘s not performing this song.

MADONNAAAAA !!

Girl, moaners or no, our desperate meltdowns most likely saved this setlist, let's face it.  Don't think she didn't read out comments.