Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

At this stage in her career, I just don't get how some can't accept that she's ever going to perform anywhere near what she used to on the charts- and that includes the UK. She's not alone, in regard to acts around her age or even younger.  For a 60-year-old female, yes, she's doing fine.

As for the "Higher Love" comparison- that could be, but only after she passes on.

2 hours ago, HolidayGuy said:

At this stage in her career, I just don't get how some can't accept that she's ever going to perform anywhere near what she used to on the charts- and that includes the UK. She's not alone, in regard to acts around her age or even younger.  For a 60-year-old female, yes, she's doing fine.

Exactly

Some 30yo to 40yo pop stars (it's definitely more than one or two) who shall not be named should be supposed to be outselling her ten to one considering they are never challenged, not even remotely criticised in the press and seem to have this incredible endless puff PR machine behind them

Yet, they are not even selling double than she has been between the age of 50 and 60. With about 30 times the size of airplay. Rather curious

On 8/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, Gaudet said:

Bravo, well bloody said :clap: never got the chart-driven type of support by certain people, liking someone just based upon chart numbers, including Madonna hence projecting their chart-driven thoughts and wishes on her. Madonna oustanding music and visuals catalog should be higher enough motive to love her without caring about some useless stupid irrelevant charts.

Of course the detractors of this particular point being argued would clumsily say "oh but don't you want Madonna to be Queen of the charts again, to be seen and accessible to new batch of fans", well of course, but maybe today there are a million more platforms to make one's work accessible, not just one or two like there used to be in the past

Just look at the yt comments for most of her Madame X music and promotional clips, interviews etc, let alone comments about her back catalogue, see so many teens and twenty year olds lavishing praise on her. We have no way of knowing for a fact that were she on a traditional recording deal in the year 2019 or at any point post 2009 it would make that much of a difference as far as radio and chart exposure go

Whether she promotes to death or does more minimal campaigns some of the fans will always find something to bitch about regardless. She has given us gorgeous magazine spreads and promotional one off performances, been on TV shows, given print and radio interviews and yet it did little to change her radio and chart situation, people need to start asking themselves why, accept it and move on ... It has got nothing to do with Madonna 90% of the times

Funnily and revealingly enough nobody is comparing Bono's or Springsteen's sales to Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber or even Justin Timberlake's sales. And they all have sold dust next to what Madonna has sold in the past decade record sales wise, Live Nation/ Warner Bros debacle notwithstanding

@XXL being all sensible in this thread per usual. :clap:

I do hope her albums continue to do decently upon debut as that's revealing enough in itself. As for anything else, who fucking cares anymore really? 

In fact, we should embrace this period in her career with open arms as we're likely to get some of her most "pure" art since she doesn't have to worry as much about singles topping the charts. I think back to MDNA when all most people wanted was for songs like Gang Bang, Love Spent and Falling Free to be singles as they were truly the best songs on the album (NONE of which are traditional "single" material). The songs she released as singles from that album REALLY were the most "obvious" singles.  At that point, she wasn't quite there yet in terms of saying "fuck the singles charts". I think she is now and look what we've gotten as a result of that! She's just releasing the songs she WANTS to release and making some of the best videos of her entire career for them. I think the sunset of her career is going to be very interesting! No reason she can't go for another 20 yrs at least at this point (and who knows there very well could be an unexpected surprise smash in there at some point).

On 8/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, Kurt420 said:

@XXL being all sensible in this thread per usual. :clap:

I do hope her albums continue to do decently upon debut as that's revealing enough in itself. As for anything else, who fucking cares anymore really? 

In fact, we should embrace this period in her career with open arms as we're likely to get some of her most "pure" art since she doesn't have to worry as much about singles topping the charts. I think back to MDNA when all most people wanted was for songs like Gang Bang, Love Spent and Falling Free to be singles as they were truly the best songs on the album (NONE of which are traditional "single" material). The songs she released as singles from that album REALLY were the most "obvious" singles.  At that point, she wasn't quite there yet in terms of saying "fuck the singles charts". I think she is now and look what we've gotten as a result of that! She's just releasing the songs she WANTS to release and making some of the best videos of her entire career for them. I think the sunset of her career is going to be very interesting! No reason she can't go for another 20 yrs at least at this point (and who knows there very well could be an unexpected surprise smash in there at some point).

:smooch:  👍

On 8/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, HolidayGuy said:

As for the "Higher Love" comparison- that could be, but only after she passes on.

whitney did not even write higher love sooo ...its just a remix too 

16 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

UK Album Chart

Album Sales #43 (LW 43)

Physical #33 (LW 34)

Oh that is good. Hopefully word of mouth is helping it to keep selling consistently.

I really believe that the only way she will reach the general public in the UK is through a TV documentary such as a career retrospective or a Glastonbury slot. I wonder what happened to the 'ray of light' documentary that was discussed last year?