Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

the problem is that it seems that in uk .. usa ,Europe  only want to listen to cute girls, 30, 40 ..

can not allow a 60-year-old woman to remain on top.

Eurovision was a disaster and it hurt, but this situation comes from before.

for me it is a great achievement that has been placed in second place after a career of more than 30 years, when nobody believed in her, when your singles do not sound on radios because of their age, after constantly receiving malicious headlines.

I think it's a miracle that he still manages to sell her albums and do it in second place. that another artist could do something like that?

the problem is that without you not sound on the radio, pubs etc. it is difficult to get new younger followers, more if they are constantly comparing you with other singers, discrediting your legacy.

I do not care much about charts and sales lists ... really now with streaming it's more like a circus.

I almost give more importance to being number one in Itunes.

Long live the Queen!

2 hours ago, Braby said:

As someone who works for the Beeb, I know for a fact that the pointless Alexandre Palace thing was supposed to be a primetime BBC One special. Would have been under the "At the BBC" strand similar to what Adele did a few years back and Arianna Grande last year. Look up on YouTube.

She would have performed five or six songs, did a sketch and Graham would have interviewed her in between. Venue was booked, Graham was booked, air date was circulating here in house. Would have given her a huge boost in the UK on release week. 

Then it was cancelled 

My speculation, and what others think... Eurovision went down so so badly, either the BBC didn't want to take the risk (unlikely she's still a huge ratings draw and gave Eurovision a major boost and added around 500,000 viewers to Graham last week). Or, and this is ridiculous, but her team (is there even a team?) cancelled because of damage limitation. Funny enough, she hasn't picked up a mic to sing since, so she's obviously aware of the whole thing. 

She honoured her commitment somewhat by turning upto the Ally Pally thing, and so did Graham. Neither would have been paid from the BBC so did it for free. All good but utterly pointless in terms of promo. Wasn't even filmed. 

They shoehorned her on Graham's chat show at the 11th hour because there was nothing else. I imagine she could have got the full hour again, and not suffer the indignity of sitting next to someone who used to be in Eastenders, Again, she (or someone) was reluctant to appear after Eurovision, which is why they didn't even promote her appearance and no time to plan a video montage of her career before she appeared. Hence, the strange cold opening. Whole thing was so poorly planned. 

Yes so how do you solve the problem of Madonna UK promo? 

My opinion only: I wouldn't have bothered with any perfomances this time around. She's just not connecting here, despite her new PR team doing a decent job. (Notice all the puff pieces in the Sun and, shockingly, the Mail this campaign. Money talks.) 

Would have concentrated on a huge TV ad campaign instead. A few posters on the Tube didn't cut it. I'm inclined to belive she doesn't have a personal promo team any more. Not a single person. Shocking. 

That's such a shame but makes perfect sense. It really baffled me why Graham Norton was there on something which wasn't going to be filmed.

I don't really know which reason seems more likely- I think it's perfectly possible she and her team were worried about more bad press if they both feel her voice isn't up to scratch right now.

She came across really very well on the night at the Ally Pally and I'm sure sales would have gone up a lot because of it. 

2 hours ago, Rebel Saviour said:

If that's true, fuck BBC and fuck Eurovision. . It's a shitty and trashy show that Madonna elevated with her controversial and brave political performance. The overraction for some bad notes still baffles me.  It almost seems like Uk cares for Eurovision more than Brexit. Madame X is not sorry and absolutely no regrets. I love how she doesn't give a shit and said nothing about the performance.

+1

People are expecting this big explanation. I think what people are forgetting is that she's been dealing with this her entire career so this is just another blip on the radar for her......a little "noise" before the release of her album. The fact that she knew little to nothing about EV before even performing shows how "important" she thinks it is.....lol. Like she said in iheart interview, she's at a "zero fucks" point in her career and I LOVE IT!!! :lol: 

Still don't know what people want to hear. Nobody can seem to answer that. Is it that we just want to HEAR her admit she was off vocally? If so, why? So she can be humiliated some more? So we can see her "put in her place" a bit? Or do we want to hear her throw someone else under the bus for her mishap?? As if she would ever do that....she's far to professional. What is the big explanation everyone wants to hear and how would it change a damn thing at the end of the day? This woman has gotten so much hate throughout her career for the stupidest things, she probably treated this "big deal" (as people see it) as business as usual. Of course, peeps will say that proves she's "delusional"......like I said, she gives ZERO FUCKS at this point folks. Deal with it. 🤷‍♂️

She's at #12 in the update from UK. Not too bad as ghee are 6 new entries above her, and they could fall behind her if front loaded do she might yet get a second week in top 10. 

For comparison , last week's number 13 sold just shy of 6k in the UK.

If any sales are posted I'll update.

FYI Will Young is number 1 and he pushed his album back a week to avoid a battle with Bruce and M.

Yeah that Alexandra palace thing seemed weird . That kinda makes sense . A shame really because it would have done wonders . 

Go to itv itv or channel 4 next time 

Update, no early sales info for M, but had she released this week she would be number 1. Will Youngs first sales update is 10.5k which is roughly half of Madame X first update last week

3 minutes ago, stevo208 said:

Update, no early sales info for M, but had she released this week she would be number 1. Will Youngs first sales update is 10.5k which is roughly half of Madame X first update last week

Ugh, she would be #1 in so many more places had she released a week later. 

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

+1

People are expecting this big explanation. I think what people are forgetting is that she's been dealing with this her entire career so this is just another blip on the radar for her......a little "noise" before the release of her album. The fact that she knew little to nothing about EV before even performing shows how "important" she thinks it is.....lol. Like she said in iheart interview, she's at a "zero fucks" point in her career and I LOVE IT!!! :lol: 

Still don't know what people want to hear. Nobody can seem to answer that. Is it that we just want to HEAR her admit she was off vocally? If so, why? So she can be humiliated some more? So we can see her "put in her place" a bit? Or do we want to hear her throw someone else under the bus for her mishap?? As if she would ever do that....she's far to professional. What is the big explanation everyone wants to hear and how would it change a damn thing at the end of the day? This woman has gotten so much hate throughout her career for the stupidest things, she probably treated this "big deal" (as people see it) as business as usual. Of course, peeps will say that proves she's "delusional"......like I said, she gives ZERO FUCKS at this point folks. Deal with it. 🤷‍♂️

This

But she does give a fuck - look how she celebrated being #1 in the US. She wants to be #1 everywhere. Appreciate what you're saying - she's not playing it safe or doing things purely to be liked and I'm loving that, but no one can pretend she didn't care if Eurovision went well or not. 

I think the Eurovision debacle still doesn't explain why there weren't any musical performances on TV. For any pre-recorded show, she can always do another take. She did Ghosttown a couple of times on Jonathan Ross. But the cancellation of Madonna at the BBC, if true, does explain it. And that's actually quite depressing as I'd completely forgotten the rumour about that potentially happening! Although, if it was all booked why didn't they just go ahead with it? They could have always scheduled it outside of primetime or on BBC Two or even BBC Four if they thought it wasn't going to pull in the millions.

6 hours ago, Braby said:

As someone who works for the Beeb, I know for a fact that the pointless Alexandre Palace thing was supposed to be a primetime BBC One special. Would have been under the "At the BBC" strand similar to what Adele did a few years back and Arianna Grande last year. Look up on YouTube.

She would have performed five or six songs, did a sketch and Graham would have interviewed her in between. Venue was booked, Graham was booked, air date was circulating here in house. Would have given her a huge boost in the UK on release week. 

Then it was cancelled 

My speculation, and what others think... Eurovision went down so so badly, either the BBC didn't want to take the risk (unlikely she's still a huge ratings draw and gave Eurovision a major boost and added around 500,000 viewers to Graham last week). Or, and this is ridiculous, but her team (is there even a team?) cancelled because of damage limitation. Funny enough, she hasn't picked up a mic to sing since, so she's obviously aware of the whole thing. 

She honoured her commitment somewhat by turning upto the Ally Pally thing, and so did Graham. Neither would have been paid from the BBC so did it for free. All good but utterly pointless in terms of promo. Wasn't even filmed. 

They shoehorned her on Graham's chat show at the 11th hour because there was nothing else. I imagine she could have got the full hour again, and not suffer the indignity of sitting next to someone who used to be in Eastenders, Again, she (or someone) was reluctant to appear after Eurovision, which is why they didn't even promote her appearance and no time to plan a video montage of her career before she appeared. Hence, the strange cold opening. Whole thing was so poorly planned. 

My opinion only: I wouldn't have bothered with any perfomances this time around. She's just not connecting here, despite her new PR team doing a decent job. (Notice all the puff pieces in the Sun and, shockingly, the Mail this campaign. Money talks.) 

Would have concentrated on a huge TV ad campaign instead. A few posters on the Tube didn't cut it. I'm inclined to belive she doesn't have a personal promo team any more. Not a single person. Shocking. 

Very enlightening and thanks for giving us the insight scoop! 

I was at the Graham Norton thing at Ally Pally and it did seem to be filmed (there was a single cameraman and there were signs saying this 'performance' will be filmed.) But as you say, the whole thing was in the final analysis pointless.. 

The idea that Madonna performing after the eurovision debacle wouldn't have brought in the viewers is ridiculous. The fans would watch hoping for redemption and the haters would watch hoping to see the aftermath of the crash and if there is more. Like Braby said, she still gave Norton a bump up  in ratings. People will always want to see Madonna. She fascinates them. I am more likely to believe it was her team and Madonna herself. Which is unfortunate but understandable.

16 hours ago, Fever said:

It is listed as album of the week but so far only I Rise was played (this morning). I assumed that a track from the album would be played on each programme throughout the day to showcase the album.

Exactly. Otherwise what is the point. 

Fascinating about the Beeb special and would make sense. The fact that she still went through with the talk does make me wonder who cancelled the programme. It could still have been shown on BBC 4 even if it wasn't primetime. Perhaps there was an argument about what she would sing.

I hope we find out more.

I suppose that's all the promo done for the album now although it looks like we'll get more videos for singles.

If the BBC had cancelled on Madonna it would have been front page of the mail and other publications. Let's not kid ourselves. If they had decided that she was not enough of a draw after eurovision and told her no thank you, it would have been everywhere because that is the kind of Madonna news the media like. Pile on the shit.

It is more likely that she and her people did not want the scrutiny so soon.

21 hours ago, Braby said:

Then it was cancelled 

Figured something like this had happened when the sum total of those "big things" being planned for promo suddenly turned into Madonna perched on a couch with nobodies and gurning along with Rylan for 5 minutes. Maybe those still insisting that the Eurovision debacle wasn't a big deal now realise that it's had even further ramifications than (just) making her look like a crap performer in front of the biggest TV audience of her career? The cancellation of what would have been THE promo of the campaign is hardly of little importance.

As for "how do you solve the problem of Madonna UK promo?"  In this instance I'd have said go ahead with the BBC special, perform the songs to show you actually can still sing and be personable in between. Putting up the drawbridge and retreating is a bizarre approach to take and not very "MADONNA".

Barbara Charone (MBC PR) still personally works for Madonna in the UK btw, though she's not particularly good.

15 now in the updated Midweek with almost 2,700 units

1 12570 LEXICON WILL YOUNG
2 10473 DIVINELY UNINSPIRED TO A HELLISH EXTENT LEWIS CAPALDI
3 9469 WESTERN STARS BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
4 8189 FALSE ALARM TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB
5 7757 LATE NIGHT FEELINGS MARK RONSON
6 4429 HELP US STRANGER RACONTEURS
7 4361 A BATH FULL OF ECSTASY HOT CHIP
8 3969 WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO BILLIE EILISH
9 3635 THE GREATEST SHOWMAN MOTION PICTURE CAST RECORDING
10 3322 RISE HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES
11 3244 HURTS 2B HUMAN PINK
12 3127 DIAMONDS ELTON JOHN
13 3064 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - OST QUEEN
14 2814 ORIGINALS PRINCE
15 2682 MADAME X MADONNA (-87.9%)

2 hours ago, Rebel Saviour said:

15 now in the updated Midweek with almost 2,700 units

1 12570 LEXICON WILL YOUNG
2 10473 DIVINELY UNINSPIRED TO A HELLISH EXTENT LEWIS CAPALDI
3 9469 WESTERN STARS BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
4 8189 FALSE ALARM TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB
5 7757 LATE NIGHT FEELINGS MARK RONSON
6 4429 HELP US STRANGER RACONTEURS
7 4361 A BATH FULL OF ECSTASY HOT CHIP
8 3969 WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO BILLIE EILISH
9 3635 THE GREATEST SHOWMAN MOTION PICTURE CAST RECORDING
10 3322 RISE HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES
11 3244 HURTS 2B HUMAN PINK
12 3127 DIAMONDS ELTON JOHN
13 3064 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - OST QUEEN
14 2814 ORIGINALS PRINCE
15 2682 MADAME X MADONNA (-87.9%)

I suppose this follows the last few albums' drop offs but it's never good to see it. Hopefully the radio 2 support this week may help it hold steady another week but after that... 😮

12 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I suppose this follows the last few albums' drop offs but it's never good to see it. Hopefully the radio 2 support this week may help it hold steady another week but after that... 😮

Let's hope the God control video will have an impact in UK as well.

18 minutes ago, Rebel Saviour said:

Let's hope the God control video will have an impact in UK as well.

I don't know if anyone but the fans will see it though. I don't see anyone else's videos unless I actually go and look on YouTube which I don't.

It needs radio 2 playlisting which it could get! 

25 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I don't know if anyone but the fans will see it though. I don't see anyone else's videos unless I actually go and look on YouTube which I don't.

It needs radio 2 playlisting which it could get! 

When will we know if radio 2 plans on adding her song? ☺

12 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

When will we know if radio 2 plans on adding her song? ☺

We don't even know when it's going to be released so who knows. 

Bruce's success in the UK continues to fascinate me. I am baffled. In the UK she needs the song on the radios. If people especially the GP do not hear the songs, they will attribute Future and maybe Medellin as the sound of MadameX and maybe it is not good enough for them. GodControl. IDSIF. CiaoBella are very much UK type songs. The type of Madonna songs the UK GP like. Hope they hear about them 😕

20 minutes ago, Jeby said:

Bruce's success in the UK continues to fascinate me. I am baffled. In the UK she needs the song on the radios. If people especially the GP do not hear the songs, they will attribute Future and maybe Medellin as the sound of MadameX and maybe it is not good enough for them. GodControl. IDSIF. CiaoBella are very much UK type songs. The type of Madonna songs the UK GP like. Hope they hear about them 😕

True. If her "record company" pushes God Control to radio and also the video (which hopefully would be great), I think M could gain fans or/and regain old ones in UK. It wasnt that long ago when she was huge in UK.

Can't believe it's nearly out of the Top 50 on Itunes.

Fingers crossed God Control gets some exposure - and not just Radio 2.  Unfortunately it's only over 50's that listen to that station.

17 minutes ago, Titty said:

Can't believe it's nearly out of the Top 50 on Itunes.

Fingers crossed God Control gets some exposure - and not just Radio 2.  Unfortunately it's only over 50's that listen to that station.

Excuse me that's a presumption

I'm in my 30s and listen to Radio 2 and I know i'm not the only one

Haha.... I'm in my 40s and thought of radio 2 sends shivers down my spine 🙂

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need the kids (people in their 20s) to hear it - and kids listen to trash like Capital etc... she needs a radio hit that gets played on local radio stations as well as national one.

Her problem is that her music is geared towards the younger generation but they don't get to hear it because she is thought of as too old.

What to do?