Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

3 minutes ago, smirnoff_ice said:

When I went into HMV last friday to get my MX copies, there were a line of BS posters along the entrance and he was playing in the store. So he was the main release of the week as far as HMV is concerned.

Exactly , I’m not saying she would have beaten him had it not been for Father’s Day but it would have been a lot closer . Again another failed opportunity, would her team ever consider when it’s releasing albums whether it coincides with a holiday , mother’s day etc ? I would have thought so.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

But she's not gonna do that though, is she?

Well you used to be able to compare them both. The fact Madonna's fallen behind in the "legend artist" stakes is all her own (as in her terrible business decisions) doing.

indeed she likely isn't, my point was more that I do think the situation is salvageable is she wanted it to be.

I think she needs a whole new management strategy (or a whole new team but that's another discussion) to re-assert her position in the UK.

She still has a lot of love and fans here but I think people are confused, tuned out and mostly unaware.

Radio play or lack of it is an issue but it's not the only problem here by a long way.

Still a lot of casual fans aren’t even aware of Medellin or the album. People older (like my friends ) don’t really stream or download or watch music channels.  They would rely on a performance on a prime time show or something . And that failed 

36 minutes ago, Simo9jo said:

Bruce is a safe artist, he makes the same type of music with slight variations, and he is not polarizing like Madonna. He’s also male...although nearly a decade older than her, he is often called distinguished whereas she is called desperate. Although Bruce has political opinions, he has not championed very unpopular topics like she has either. He’s not vocal in the way she is, and no one changes musical styles like she does. Thankfully she does not stick to one formula and takes risks. 

I think he is definitely outspoken and speaks his mind regularly, which considering how a lot of his fans are Trump supporters is quite impressive.

Having said that, he is still making music that would appeal to people who bought his albums in the 70s and 80s.

Madonna's music is light years away from where it was. And that is probably the reason why.She keeps moving forward, and a lot of her fan base has just stayed behind in the 80's, then the 90's, and finally in the 00s. Her hardcore fanbase has probably been the same since Hard Candy.

17 minutes ago, Dr Lecter said:

Still a lot of casual fans aren’t even aware of Medellin or the album. People older (like my friends ) don’t really stream or download or watch music channels.  They would rely on a performance on a prime time show or something . And that failed 

I was telling a colleague at work today that I got a ticket for the MX London shows. There were a bunch of us and they were saying ‘Madonna hasn’t released an album in years’! Obviously I corrected them but all they then talked about was the Eurovision disaster. I’m 38 and my colleagues vary from 25-50ish and no one new Madonna still made music!!! 

On the plus side one of them listened to some of MX on lunch break and loved it, so I’ve done my bit 👌

7 minutes ago, Profane said:

I was telling a colleague at work today that I got a ticket for the MX London shows. There were a bunch of us and they were saying ‘Madonna hasn’t released an album in years’! Obviously I corrected them but all they then talked about was the Eurovision disaster. I’m 38 and my colleagues vary from 25-50ish and no one new Madonna still made music!!! 

On the plus side one of them listened to some of MX on lunch break and loved it, so I’ve done my bit 👌

I also made a German friend listen to the whole album yesterday on Spotify. He wasn't aware her album was out and his reponse was 'It's amazing, love it.' 

1 hour ago, RyanAnth4 said:

Awful figures , 4000 people downloaded the album out of 60million population . Very poor. But while it’s all doom and gloom again don’t be fooled in thinking Bruce won’t  drop like a rock next week too , he’s already starting to . Father’s Day really helped him , every store ( that still sells cds) had towers of stands and advertising for Father’s Day to buy his cd . It was out beside hallmark cards and mugs in Tesco for example. 

Who knows if god control is released or pride goes half decent Madame X won’t leave the top 100 chart next Friday .  I agree with you all though despite it doing nothing for Rebel heart if she had given a good performance SOMEWHERE the lingering hate from Eurovision wouldn’t be as present .

:lmao:

Light up! Madame X brings light to dark places. 

I hate that Celebration is her last big hit single in the UK. A decade ago. M needs not only a better promotional team but a new record label.

Just now, Ghost Town said:

I hate that Celebration is her last big in the UK. A decade ago. M needs not only a better promotional team but a new record label.

Too late.

The galling thing is that her BIG Euro music career could have continued for 5-10 years. It was cut short prematurely, and that's annoying.

Madonna is still massive in the UK. Over 60 million people in the UK bought multiple formats of Madame X. Her new songs is all over BBC Radio 1 and on every street corner. There's people lining up in UK shops to buy Madame X. Madonna has over 60 million fans in the Uk. UK is Madonnamania. It should be against the law to not like her

7 hours ago, tasteinmen said:

I've kept quiet about this topic, but I think you're right Kim. A few people I've spoken to at work, out and about etc have said they won't be bothering with her album after her Eurovision performance, just the other day I asked a work colleague if he was going to get Madame X, he has often stuck up for Madonna over the past few years, he replied "not after that awful Eurovision performance, that song was terrible, did you see it?" So I agree with you Kim, I think it has effected her reputation this era.

Regarding promo / Kylie, there was a heavy push on release week of Golden, Stop Me From Falling and Dancing were playing constantly on Radio 2, I'd hear them several times a day for the entire week, there was even a push to get Dancing in to the Top 40 with that digital bundle deal. Granted, Madonna covers far more ground than Kylie, but surely a label should be able to push an album without Madonna necessarily doing performances? I've heard people saying there's an advert on TV for the album, I haven't seen this.

The problem is how to get all these people that were put off by Eurovision and Future to hear the other tracks on the album

People make their minds quickly and wont change their minds easy

15 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

The problem is how to get all these people that were put off by Eurovision to hear the other tracks on the album

People make their minds quickly and wont change their minds easy

By doing more performances? As fast as they make their minds they forget about it if there's something else to talk about.

But it doesn't seem like Madonna cares, so..

Thursday Update:

1 Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars (46.0k) *
2 Madonna - Madame X (24.8k) *
3 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish (19.0k)
4 Bastille - Doom Days (14.4k) *
5 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (7.6k) *

2 minutes ago, Mr Ciccone said:

Thursday Update:

1 Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars (46.0k) *
2 Madonna - Madame X (24.8k) *
3 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish (19.0k)
4 Bastille - Doom Days (14.4k) *
5 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (7.6k) *

At this point I’ll be happy with a #2 position. Lewis Capaldi is creeping up though 

4 hours ago, Crozzauk said:

I think he is definitely outspoken and speaks his mind regularly, which considering how a lot of his fans are Trump supporters is quite impressive.

Having said that, he is still making music that would appeal to people who bought his albums in the 70s and 80s.

Madonna's music is light years away from where it was. And that is probably the reason why.She keeps moving forward, and a lot of her fan base has just stayed behind in the 80's, then the 90's, and finally in the 00s. Her hardcore fanbase has probably been the same since Hard Candy.

I'm so happy that she continues her career this way because I prefer quality and originality instead of nostalgia act, but let's be realistic: she has lost the casual fans and the GP since MDNA and they will not come back. If she had wanted to keep them, she would have produced a COADF-part 2 or traditional pop songs inspired by 80s sounds (thank god it's not what she did!) and she would manage her important repertoire so as to keep it fresh in people's memories (her biggest mistake in career is not doing it). GP over 45 do not listen to the kind of music she are currently producing. The only moment she will recover some casual fans is if she makes a farewell tour with her greatest hits in a few years.

It's a piss take. Screw it. I am over it. I think MadameX is still fine in other parts of Europe and of course the US. The Brits can suck it.

Given that much of their focus and measures of success is on tour receipts over the past few albums, and now that seems to be being effected (although we will have to wait and see how the tour does- I still expect it to be very lucrative- even if they lower the astronomical prices by a decent amount), maybe we'll see more put into radio connections and more of a media charm offensive from her. 

I can't pretend to know how that all works, though; maybe there's nothing at all she can do about radio... If she can't bring in the huge crowds anymore, I suspect that'll worry team Madge a lot more than if she can get radio 1 to play Medellin, but it seems the two are becoming more and more connected, in combination with a murdering of her reputation thanks to Eurovision and the ensuing press from it. 

Hope it hits no.2 and sees off Capaldi at least. :vogue:

I think the worst thing she can do at this point is put it all down to ageism and fail to re-evaluate some of her own choices in terms of the price to be paid. 

I wonder if she ever looks back on Eurovision and regrets putting message over melody/arrangement/vocal training/audience awareness. If the pride setlist is anything to go by, probably not. 

Has she earned the right to give zero fucks and pursue her vision? Yes, sure. But then I think it’s time she came to terms with the fact that she might be alienating a lot of people along the way, and some of it might have little to do with her age. 

Maybe she’s thinking about her long-term legacy. Maybe she wants to be remembered as the woke rebel star who wouldn’t pander, while her contemporaries were playing safe and the wanna bes even safer. Ok, I get it. But there’s a price to pay and I can’t help but wonder if it’s worth it. 

Ukmix and M tribe are reporting that she will land at just over 27k sales on the final UK album chart to be published later which will land get comfortably at....

NUMBER 2.

It's actually very good first week figures for her in this day and age, no hit single, no radio play, no performances etc.

On quite a lot of weeks during this year, those sales would have guaranteed her her 13th UK number one album. As it stands this will be her 6th Number 2 album. A few weeks back the number one album sold 11k.

We can't be sad about this, guys. Well done to Springsteen, he's also a legend and did have the benefit of Father's Day as well as fair reviews of his album and music; as opposed to his face/age etc.

It's a cause for a celebration  for our Queen.

23 hours ago, Kim said:

Too late.

The galling thing is that her BIG Euro music career could have continued for 5-10 years. It was cut short prematurely, and that's annoying.

Agree!

22 hours ago, Jitterbug said:

Madonna is still massive in the UK. Over 60 million people in the UK bought multiple formats of Madame X. Her new songs is all over BBC Radio 1 and on every street corner. There's people lining up in UK shops to buy Madame X. Madonna has over 60 million fans in the Uk. UK is Madonnamania. It should be against the law to not like her

Another #2 album for the Queen in the end.....

2 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

She should have pushed the release date back a week like Will Young. Now he will probably get the number one album next week with half of the sales that Madame X got.

Madame X would have easily overtaken Will Young's latest release. The timing was bad as usual for our Queen.

1 minute ago, Jitterbug said:

Well the album will still be remembered far more than all the number 1s out there.

The haters will have a field day with this one.

I'm kind of okay with the album being number 2 in the UK simply because she'll be number 1 in the USA, I think that's a much bigger achievement for her, I'm sure Bruce would also rather have a number 1 in the USA over UK any day, as you know, it's a much bigger country and it's their homeland.

The UK aren't worthy of her, fuck their general hipster attitude "I know it all, what I say is all that matters and everyone has to agree with me or I'll delete them from Facebook, Madonna needs to fuck off", I'm so over it.