MADAME X album reviews

27 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

Absolutely amazing track. 

Yeah right, the name sounds fantastic, maybe u just like “The Name”?

Well, Killers is my second fave on the album (only behind EO), but Batuka has become the most haunting for me. It’s such an ominous piece of art. When she chants “let me catch my breath” and the drums intensify, I get chills. It’s her warning song about our political climate. And the outro is one of the most melancholy instrumentals of her career. I’m obsessed with it.

Batuka IS da shit , amazing song 

Well all the album is dope , the only songs I skip is BIL .

What an album!!!So grateful to this woman

29 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Well, Killers is my second fave on the album (only behind EO), but Batuka has become the most haunting for me. It’s such an ominous piece of art. When she chants “let me catch my breath” and the drums intensify, I get chills. It’s her warning song about our political climate. And the outro is one of the most melancholy instrumentals of her career. I’m obsessed with it.

EO is also one of my favourites, it's been such a grower.

I love Batuka too. I made my colleagues listen to the album yesterday and they reacted mostly to Dark Ballet and Batuka. 

Batuka was instant love for me, so primal, tribal, more like a chant... Its great. EO grew immensely on me (never disliked it or anyting, but it didnt stand out at first) to become my favourite on MX. 

I think Batuka might be my favourite on the album - it’s dark, soulful and brooding like Secret but also so full of energy. Also it’s so completely different to anything Madonna has done before. 

Killers and Batuka are highlights of the album for me. Both are odd and different but in a very magical and memberable way. I can see why some might need time with batuka as it is so unlike a pop song but Killers? Getting annoyed with people trashing that song.

22 minutes ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

This isn't about Madonna but I thought it would be appropriate here because it mentions a lot of what we've been discussing. Jack White criticizing Pitchfork and similar clickbait publications. Look at the last paragraph...

7cwjvv99od731.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

giphy.gif

This is what I meant earlier in the god control thread. Sometimes it might be good for an artist to speak up, not really “explain themselves”, but just put things into context.

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

This is what I meant earlier in the god control thread. Sometimes it might be good for an artist to speak up, not really “explain themselves”, but just put things into context.

Madonna would never do that, but I agree with you. Jack's reaction is on point.

Posting this here only because it's actually comical it was published and such an example of "Madonna, let me tell you how I'd like you better if you'd be the Madonna I want you to be..." bullshit. It's legit crazy...the arrogance and self-righteousness of this article. 

———

https://www.sentinel-standard.com/news/20190629/farr-side-time-for-madonna-to-embrace-her-age

The Farr Side: Time for Madonna to embrace her age

By David T. Farr

Posted Jun 29, 2019 at 12:00 PM

Madonna has always danced to the beat of her own drum.

Madonna has always danced to the beat of her own drum. For the most part, it has served here well.

However, her drive to stay relevant is starting to wear thin. “Madame X” illustrates that.

“Madame X” is Madonna’s 14th studio album and perhaps her most bizarre. It’s a hodgepodge of electronic reggaeton-fused tracks that has no real concept. I’m a diehard Madonna fan so it pains me to say this album does nothing for me — or her, for that matter.

The album’s first single, “Medellin,” isn’t so out-of-the ordinary for “new” Madonna music. The track features Maluma, a huge Latin artist from South America. It’s danceable and rhythmic, but it’s no “La Isla Bonita.” The song seems handcrafted to appease the growing global Latino music market. Only Maluma adds to the song’s appeal. 

But just in time for the album’s release comes “Crave” featuring Swae Lee. It’s the best song on the record. What’s even cooler is I heard the track pon mainstream radio, something newer Madonna songs have failed to do.

That being said, though, the rest of the album is downright bizarre. She is better than this! 

“I Rise” and “I Don’t Search I Find” are relatively lost among strange songs like “Killers Who Are Partying,” and “Batuka.”

I would like to have a conversation with her. It might be time someone offers her some positive, yet critical, advice. I’d start by praising her writing and recording some of the best music ever made and include examples like “Crazy For You,” “Like A Prayer,” “Express Yourself,” “Vogue,” “Live To Tell,” “Ray Of Light” and some others. After all, she’s made some awesome songs during her amazing career. 

Then, I’d play up her age. She’s 60, which is not old by any means, especially in this day and age. But there is “60” and then there’s “60-trying-to-be 20.” That’s when things go south. I would tell her she’s Madonna and she doesn’t need to try to be the next big thing — she already has been that. It’s time to embrace her age, but in a manner that rewards her and not one that makes critics, like me, have to write negative reviews.

My dream for Madonna is clear. I know its cliché for artists to do “covers” albums or record an LP of standards. Several have done so and gotten mediocre results. But I’m talking about Madonna doing on “her way.”

Picture this: A double CD. The first disc is entirely cover songs, including signature standards (we know how awesome she was with “Evita”). These tracks should be songs she loves. Imagine if she took a standard and modernized it without compromising its integrity. The music would be phenomenal. Couple that with her vocal capabilities, it could be magic. Plus, it would introduce the standards to a whole new generation of music lovers.

Disc two would feature a selection of originals rerecorded in the same manner.Why not? Her songs have become part of the fabric of our lives, just like classic standards have. It would bring her music to life for a whole new generation. And those of us who have grown up listening to her music would have reason to celebrate all over again.

Guest jamesshot
21 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

https://www.sentinel-standard.com/news/20190629/farr-side-time-for-madonna-to-embrace-her-age

Posting this here only because it's actually comical it was published and such an example of "Madonna, let me tell you how I'd like you better if you'd be the Madonna I want you to be..." bullshit. It's legit crazy...the arrogance and self-righteousness of this article. 

We've all seen people who try to gain credibility by saying they are "huge fans" and this person clearly attempted that route. I see it on political message boards all the time when people say they're Democrats before descending into how awful the Dems are, how glorious the GOP is.

This guy goes about it the wrong way. We all have our opinions on what we want her to do. And our opinions are valid. Some of us have great ideas that, if Madonna did them, would likely gain her renewed interest. So, that is where he should have went with this article- keep the compliments, ditch anything to do with her age, and explain what he personally would like her to do without the bringing in the narrative about age or what is appropriate. His ideas aren't bad.

This line stuck out to me- " It’s time to embrace her age, but in a manner that rewards her and not one that makes critics, like me, have to write negative reviews." 

Very telling. So because she doesn't do something that fits HIS definition of "embracing her age" he is then forced to write negative reviews???? Did he really just say that? Instead of judging the music on its merits, he reviews her (and presumably others) based on his notion of what they should be doing. That seems deeply unethical and unprofessional, to say the least. 

She is punished for not remaining in the box people wish her to be in. They all want to 'Boxing Helena' her. 

On 6/28/2019 at 4:46 PM, Andra said:

Smells like shit in here. Must be coming from people with shit taste I guess.

U r saying Madonna fans cannot dislike certain songs from her Huge body of works? Kinda strong language you use to express your dislike on other fans who disagree like me..

Edited by GlamourKid

12 minutes ago, GlamourKid said:

U r saying Madonna fans cannot dislike certain songs from her Huge body of works? Kinda strong language you use to express your dislike on other fans who disagree like me..

They sure are allowed to like and dislike whatever they want, and some of them really have no taste whatsoever.

4 hours ago, boy skeffington said:

I know this is a nothing publication but this review is so mind numbingly idiotic! :electropop: Is this guy on twitter? He needs to get dragged!   

12 hours ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

This isn't about Madonna but I thought it would be appropriate here because it mentions a lot of what we've been discussing. Jack White criticizing Pitchfork and similar clickbait publications. Look at the last paragraph...

7cwjvv99od731.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:    Now that is a brilliant read.

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

I think their way of categorizing the albums makes sense. Thanks for sharing!