MADAME X album reviews

On 6/19/2019 at 6:46 AM, side_streets said:

The person who wrote this article understands Madame X completely.

It is perfect. ♥️

Amen. 

2 hours ago, Gabriel Ciccone said:

It’s emotionally powerful and, frankly, bizarrely eclectic in all the right ways

:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, justi5myluv said:

I think this is the same Lucy O’Brien who wrote a Madonna autobiography book. Can tell she’s a fan. 

Yes

It's her

Guest Future feat Quavo

The sputnik music review was by a contributor and they only count staff writers I believe

12 minutes ago, Future feat Quavo said:

The sputnik music review was by a contributor and they only count staff writers I believe

Wasn't Pitchfork a guest contributor?

25 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

The Moomoo fan was a contributor, but as always for the bad reviews there is no escape...

10 minutes ago, elijah said:

The Moomoo fan was a contributor, but as always for the bad reviews there is no escape...

Karma will now deal with him.

Like, who even reads The Quietus or whatever? Why does that site even count for Metacritic? That review is among the worst pieces of writing I have ever read, cursing all throughout, bad English and very poor grammar. Just appalling!

And more than that, you have the usual tripe you get from frustrated dudes who can't deal with a strong, talented and powerful woman. Just look at this bit:

Madame X feels as if Mirwais had mostly completed a decent run-of-the-mill modern pop record, albeit with a cool hotch-potch global feel. [...] But then just before sign-off, Herself went through the top-lines with a sharpie. Every so often, she said "Here, let’s put something bonkers here!" And then again, a few minutes later, "Here too!" And so on.

See what I mean? According to the turd that wrote that review, the good bits of the record are because of Mirwais, you know because he's actually talented, but then Madonna came in and made the record shit! This is the kind of thing that drives me completely mad. 

This woman has proved herself over and over, achieved unparalleled success, and then you have this literal nobodies who know nothing about her and her work who have the audacity to even question her artistry. 😡 

This is the writer by the way - who based on his wikipedia page, which he most certainly wrote about himself is a is a retired English singer/songwriter" so I think I can see where his frustration comes from. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_T-T

https://twitter.com/christt

Oh, and of course he loved Bruce's Western Stars:https://thequietus.com/articles/26637-bruce-springsteen-western-stars-review

4 minutes ago, headonfire said:

Like, who even reads The Quietus or whatever? Why does that site even count for Metacritic? That review is among the worst pieces of writing I have ever read, cursing all throughout, bad English and very poor grammar. Just appalling!

And more than that, you have the usual tripe you get from frustrated dudes who can't deal with a strong, talented and powerful woman. Just look at this bit:

Madame X feels as if Mirwais had mostly completed a decent run-of-the-mill modern pop record, albeit with a cool hotch-potch global feel. [...] But then just before sign-off, Herself went through the top-lines with a sharpie. Every so often, she said "Here, let’s put something bonkers here!" And then again, a few minutes later, "Here too!" And so on.

See what I mean? According to the turd that wrote that review, the good bits of the record are because of Mirwais, you know because he's actually talented, but then Madonna came in and made the record shit! This is the kind of thing that drives me completely mad. 

This woman has proved herself over and over, achieved unparalleled success, and then you have this literal nobodies who know nothing about her and her work who have the audacity to even question her artistry. 😡 

Just ignore it. I know, it’s hard because it’s counted for metacritic, but we can’t let the writer have attention or feel good about it. Just let him be bitter

edit; though that said, he shouldnt be getting away with those sexist suggestions. It’s terrible and I hope madonna brings light to women not getting the respect they deserve as songwriters and producers in the music world.. (shame she hasnt really talked about that a lot) she should really make this a topic.

That comment about adding something bonkers isn't necessarily bad.  At least she's given credit as a producer, and it says Mirwais created a decent run of the mill modern pop record -- not much of a compliment.

Guest Future feat Quavo
2 hours ago, tasteinmen said:

Pitchfork doesn't have multiple reviews per album but since Sputnik Music does can they only count the staff. 

1 hour ago, Nikki said:

Just ignore it. I know, it’s hard because it’s counted for metacritic, but we can’t let the writer have attention or feel good about it. Just let him be bitter

edit; though that said, he shouldnt be getting away with those sexist suggestions. It’s terrible and I hope madonna brings light to women not getting the respect they deserve as songwriters and producers in the music world.. (shame she hasnt really talked about that a lot) she should really make this a topic.

I know @Nikki, and thank you. It just makes me really angry, and I feel that voicing it here helps.

Take the below with a grain of Himalayan salt, saw it via another site, not yet directly from Mojo:

Madame X – Mojo Review

Madonna’s 14th studio album fuses political intent with world pop disco.

Madonna has always worked well one-to-one, and after her hip trap-inspired singles with Quavo and Swae Lee, and the reggaeton dalliance with Maluma, she has saved the best for last. The real treat on this album is Madonna’s vivid, dramatic work with Mirwais. They send the disco ball spinning on French house tracks like God Control and the very fine I Don’t Search I Find, while Dark Ballet is rococo brilliance, sounding like a deranged Nutcracker Suite. Where 2015’s Rebel Heart seemed like a record made by committee, this album reflects Madonna’s life in Lisbon – laid-back, curious, and intensely creative – absorbing influences ranging from percussive Moroccan gnawa to melancholy Portuguese morna. The pace plods on some mid-tempo tracks, but overall this is a personal, politically-charged mix of dark thoughts and good vibes. Lucy O’Brien

4 out of 5 stars

https://allaboutmadonna.com/2019/06/madame-x-mojo-review.php

47 minutes ago, Shaun said:

This is definitely her best album since Rebel Heart.

lol 

edit: to clarify I was lol because this is her only album since RH. I think MX tops her last 3 album. So I’m with you there. 

Edited by justi5myluv

44 minutes ago, Shaun said:

This is definitely her best album since Rebel Heart.

True :). RH gets dragged here but she has some amazing songs and some are among her best like Devil Pray.

14 minutes ago, justi5myluv said:

lol 

edit: to clarify I was lol because this is her only album since RH. I think MX tops her last 3 album. So I’m with you there. 

Its better then the RHT CD. Lol  

On 6/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, XXL said:

Yes

It's her

I love Lucy O'Brien SO MUCH, her Madonna biography was very well written and more focused on her career than others. She's a real fan and is not afraid to be critical when needed, but never in a sensationalist way.

34 minutes ago, madonnasuperfan01 said:

I love Lucy O'Brien SO MUCH, her Madonna biography was very well written and more focused on her career than others. She's a real fan and is not afraid to be critical when needed, but never in a sensationalist way.

I agree completely

Enjoyed her M bio a lot

Taraborelli, Barbara Victor etc not so much

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:19 AM, Shane said:

Not to say they will all publish one, but:

Mojo (rumored to be good)

Attitude

PopMatters

Spin

The AV Club

New York Times 

Chicago Tribune

Now Magazine

Under the Radar

TIME did a review for RH album... does it count if they do one? Since they worked on the I RICE project, I would expect a great review from them.

Metascore still needs to add in the two 80 from Sputnik Music  and Mojo.