Madame X album general discussion

On 8/25/2019 at 11:50 PM, Flip The Switch said:

Medellín is essential. Medellín is Madame X. Medellín is the whole album, era. You name it.

all that and more !

The song that defines this whole era, the mysticism behind the album, Madonna’s “escaping” to Madame X... all the realizations she had when she moved to Lisbon is Extreme Occident. It’s extreme baffling why this is not on the regular edition. Medellin is a cute song but never the central piece or the representation of the monument that is Madame X, the album. 

6 hours ago, BillyBongo said:

I gave it an 8/10 on Madonna Infinity forum, but 2 months down the line, it’s more a 5/10. I love that she’s trying so many different things, I love experimental music, I ADORE that she’s working with people from Cape Verde, one of my most favourite places in the world....but it’s just wall to wall autotune, there’s hardly any let up. There’s literally only one time I can hear in the album where she sounds raw and real, and that’s a single line in Crazy. I’m not saying that she should still have her Evita/Ray of Light vocals after so many years performing but does her voice really need so much treatment? I’m not being a snob, I actually think it works really well on The Nutcracker segment of Dark Ballet. But the rest sounds like it’s run through the computer for the sake of it

Agree

12 hours ago, Bill said:

I gave it an 8/10 on Madonna Infinity forum, but 2 months down the line, it’s more a 5/10. I love that she’s trying so many different things, I love experimental music, I ADORE that she’s working with people from Cape Verde, one of my most favourite places in the world....but it’s just wall to wall autotune, there’s hardly any let up. There’s literally only one time I can hear in the album where she sounds raw and real, and that’s a single line in Crazy. I’m not saying that she should still have her Evita/Ray of Light vocals after so many years performing but does her voice really need so much treatment? I’m not being a snob, I actually think it works really well on The Nutcracker segment of Dark Ballet. But the rest sounds like it’s run through the computer for the sake of it

Well, I said it before and MX belongs to my personal Top 5, for many reasons. But in fact the only thing that really bothers me are exactly the vocals (there has been much discussion on these theme here and there is a reason for it). I understand it was an asthetical choice, but I really think Ms raw and natural voice would have worked better and the effects should have been used with more parsimony.

Three months on, and Madame X is one of Madonna’s most integral albums. A true artistic statement. Sometimes sparse, sometimes chaotic, but always focused and intentional. Her most political record and one of her most enjoyable as a complete listen front-to-back. Cannot wait to see how this machine comes to visual life on stage!

On 8/29/2019 at 9:56 AM, Geiger83 said:

Well, I said it before and MX belongs to my personal Top 5, for many reasons. But in fact the only thing that really bothers me are exactly the vocals (there has been much discussion on these theme here and there is a reason for it). I understand it was an asthetical choice, but I really think Ms raw and natural voice would have worked better and the effects should have been used with more parsimony.

I agree the vocal effects are my biggest gripe about the album but i cannot let them overshadow what is a quality and solid album. 3 months in and i there isnt a song i skip. So many songs i love. 

I do not skip any song on the either, but it's an album that I can not listen on shuffle. Madame X works as a whole and recalls this glorious period from 1968 to 2008 when real albums (and not compilations of songs) were appreciated.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, BillyBongo said:

I disagree with this.  Her voice sounds very natural to me on Crave, Extreme Occident, Looking For Mercy, and much of Crazy.  The effects on I Don’t Search I Find and I Rise are minimal. I hear her Evita/ROL voice on Killers Who Are Partying.

I respect your analyses, but do not agree with it.

8 minutes ago, Shane said:

I disagree with this.  Her voice sounds very natural to me on Crave, Extreme Occident, Looking For Mercy, and much of Crazy.  The effects on I Don’t Search I Find and I Rise are minimal. I hear her Evita/ROL voice on Killers Who Are Partying.

This. So much nonsense.

I haven't stopped listening to it since it came out. I listen to it twice a day. Maybe its because im seeing her on 24 September but I'm not sick of it yet and never skip a song. But i do this to all her albums i play them non stop from moment they are released for years and years until i get over them. But i still revisit them agaian and again! #tragic #stan

2 minutes ago, Leebf said:

I haven't stopped listening to it since it came out. I listen to it twice a day. Maybe its because im seeing her on 24 September but I'm not sick of it yet and never skip a song. But i do this to all her albums i play them non stop from moment they are released for years and years until i get over them. But i still revisit them agaian and again! #tragic #stan

What pain you must have endured during the MDNA album era.

4 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

What pain you must have endured during the MDNA album era.

Well i only listen if i like the album so there's your answer! I didn't mind it at all. In fact i went through a bad break up in 2013 so i played that and hard candy a lot during my healing process. Love spent and i don't give a, best friend and i fucked up were on repeat lol. 

2 hours ago, Leebf said:

Well i only listen if i like the album so there's your answer! I didn't mind it at all. In fact i went through a bad break up in 2013 so i played that and hard candy a lot during my healing process. Love spent and i don't give a, best friend and i fucked up were on repeat lol. 

Yes. Madonna's albums are a road map of my life, especially since I've been an adult. And HC/MDNA/RH/MX are just as good as the others. The moaners just got louder because of social media, etc. 

MDNA saved my life in many ways after a break up in 2011. I was angry, it was angry. I was trying to move on with some joy, and so was it. 

I really feel that since COADF (and you could even say with American Life) we get a true album cycle that includes the tour of the album. I didn't get to see Madonna live until DWT. It's been great getting basically a tour an album and it really is such a statement. Her live show accompaniment of the album has taken prominence over the music video for her in many ways. While the tours are likely quite hard on her body and emotions, you can see it's such an artistic adventure she loves and controls. 

4 hours ago, insilico said:

A masterpiece that keeps on giving. I am sure it will also reach another level for me after the live experience, cannot wait.

I’m really happy where Madonna is in her career. Rebel Heart and Madame X are her last two albums. WOW. Any artist would die to have just those two in their catalogue. These albums just enrich an already amazing career for Madonna.

14 hours ago, the-queen said:

I’m really happy where Madonna is in her career. Rebel Heart and Madame X are her last two albums. WOW. Any artist would die to have just those two in their catalogue. These albums just enrich an already amazing career for Madonna.

THIS!

15 hours ago, the-queen said:

Well said.  So much beautiful music and that is just her last two records.  

7 hours ago, sul8323 said:

Well said.  So much beautiful music and that is just her last two records.  

Exactly. She has so much expectation on her and she always delivers something amazing. 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:55 AM, Shane said:

Totally agree. I don't understand what people are talking about when they say the whole album is autotuned.

Guest Future feat Quavo

I would've rated this a 7-8/10 in June but idk about now...

those Rolling Stone & Guardian writers were right saying this album had some of her worst ever music, so it still surprises me that they were able to give it such high scores.

Dark Ballet & Killers have cringeworthy lyrics, and the instrumentals are either trash (dark ballet) or forgettable (killers). Crazy, Come Alive, and Crave are decent but all scream filler to me...Awful production ruins songs like Batuka and crap lyrics did the same to Extreme Occident ().

I still enjoy IDSIF, Looking for Mercy, Future, Medellín, and God Control, but I don't personally think it's >6/10. I liked what she tried to do w this album, incorporating various sounds alongside some nice collaborations, but was disappointed when a large chunk of the tracks were just "ok" (or worse)

49 minutes ago, Future feat Quavo said:

I would've rated this a 7-8/10 in June but idk about now...

those Rolling Stone & Guardian writers were right saying this album had some of her worst ever music, so it still surprises me that they were able to give it such high scores.

Dark Ballet & Killers have cringeworthy lyrics, and the instrumentals are either trash (dark ballet) or forgettable (killers). Crazy, Come Alive, and Crave are decent but all scream filler to me...Awful production ruins songs like Batuka and crap lyrics did the same to Extreme Occident ().

I still enjoy IDSIF, Looking for Mercy, Future, Medellín, and God Control, but I don't personally think it's >6/10. I liked what she tried to do w this album, incorporating various sounds alongside some nice collaborations, but was disappointed when a large chunk of the tracks were just "ok" (or worse)

Could not disagree more. And actually why are you here if it was that awful music? Such comments tell alot about your level of musical sophistication, as on objective musical criteria, Madame X certainly has some truly quality music. Yes, music is also a matter of personal taste, but that doesn't take away from its objective merrits. Opinions are opinions.

2 hours ago, Future feat Quavo said:

:rotfl:

MX has one of her best tracklistings. When you’ve listened to the album endlessly for weeks like me the work of art becomes engrained into your soul. As if it’s always been apart of her catalogue, and it came out around the time of Erotica or one of her other earlier albums. The consistency of the MX songs and indeed that of RH is incredible. I’ve said this a lot but it can never not be repeated enough.

11 hours ago, the-queen said:

MX has one of her best tracklistings. When you’ve listened to the album endlessly for weeks like me the work of art becomes engrained into your soul. As if it’s always been apart of her catalogue, and it came out around the time of Erotica or one of her other earlier albums. The consistency of the MX songs and indeed that of RH is incredible. I’ve said this a lot but it can never not be repeated enough.

Keep saying it!!!  😍:clap: