Madame X album general discussion

5 hours ago, Geiger83 said:

I love Rebel Heart very much. This album contains wonderful songs, with strong melodies and catchy hooks. But it is unfortunately bad produced and suffered with the leaks. With MX Madonna managed to create an album which is varied but cohesive at the same time, well produced and new, specially when we take a look at the current musical scenario. That is for me the crutial difference between RH and MX and what makes me like MX more. Everytime I listen to this album I feel it is too short, because it is so involving. That is a special quality that not every album (even Madonna's) has

This. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, T0pher said:

I don't know why but I haven't connected with this album. I liked listening to it when it first came out, though there were a lot of songs I skipped (God Control, Future, Killers Who Are Partying, I Rise.i didn't like at all). everything Post Confessions have been meh for me but I did listen to HC, MDNA, RH a lot for at least a year after it they were released before I stopped listening to them, it's been years since I've listened to any of them except for 2-3 songs from each album I have on playlists. With MX I stopped listening to it less than a month after it was released and it's been weeks since I listened to it. I've even opted not to see the tour this time around (though I know I'll kick myself in the ass for missing Rescue Me) I'm glad everyone here seems to like it though, hope it's not another 4 years before the next album 😂

I agree, this album lasted about a week in my cd player and I've barely listened to any of the songs since. I can't believe that people think this is a cohesive album. It's all over the damn place and, in my opinion, it's extremely boring. Every album since Confessions & Hard Candy has been getting weaker and weaker. I don't know why she can't seem to craft a cohesive, well thought out album anymore. I really wish she would just go into the studio with ONE producer and make a solid 10-12 track album again. Oh well, I still stan her no matter what and I'll be there opening night in Brooklyn...so excited!

8 minutes ago, Maverick84 said:

I agree, this album lasted about a week in my cd player and I've barely listened to any of the songs since. I can't believe that people think this is a cohesive album. It's all over the damn place and, in my opinion, it's extremely boring. Every album since Confessions & Hard Candy has been getting weaker and weaker. I don't know why she can't seem to craft a cohesive, well thought out album anymore. I really wish she would just go into the studio with ONE producer and make a solid 10-12 track album again. Oh well, I still stan her no matter what and I'll be there opening night in Brooklyn...so excited!

Go back to lurking then. We don’t need to hear from you again till after opening night. :zzz:

20 hours ago, Geiger83 said:

Everytime I listen to this album I feel it is too short, because it is so involving. That is a special quality that not every album (even Madonna's) has

You said it perfectly! This is exactly how I feel everytime I listen to it as well. Even though I've heard the album literally hundreds of times at this point, the sonic journey it takes me on from beginning to end is still so incredibly exciting to me. May sound silly but it truly is like touring the world in a way, there are just so many twist and turns and for me that makes it as fresh as it was the first time I heard it a couple months ago now. That excitement makes the whole listening experience fly by. ROL remains one of my top 2-3 favorite albums by her, while Erotica would probably be more towards the bottom of the list (sorry!!) the one thing they have in common though is that towards the end of those albums I sometimes find myself getting a bit antsy and that's always been the case (especially with Erotica....I truly don't remember last time I listened to it front to back). MX runs right around the same time as both of those albums and that absolutely doesn't happen when I listen to it.

I flashback to the very first "hints" regarding the sound of the album early this year, before anyone had heard anything and it was described as not being necessarily cohesive but the songs still come together and create a uniform body of work that makes it feel unlike a MDNA or RH. Having heard it now, that description fits so perfectly. RH absolutely has some of the strongest straight up pop melodies/hooks of her entire career. Something about her approach to the structure of those songs was very 80's Madonna to me and that I LOVE! Despite having more depth than a lot of her very early songs they still manage to have that instantaneous quality in a lot of ways. Just thinking of the first time I heard RH, WAOM, Ghosttown, BN and demo version of HT and I was just bowled over at how catchy and just "pure pop" everything was. MX really couldn't be more opposite in that regard. Definitely still some strong hooks/melodies there without a doubt but for those that appreciate a more straight up pop sound without a lot of bells and whistles, there just isn't a lot to offer on MX in that regard (Crave and perhaps Crazy). This is 100% an ALBUM, a sonic journey...not really a collection of songs you can pick and choose.

M herself said it best when she said that MX is not background music and that is also very true. It's an album you have to really LISTEN to in order to fully appreciate. It's truly a work of art. Having it on low volume in the background while doing a whole list of other things just doesn't cut it with this album. So very proud of her for pulling an album like this out at this stage of her career. I still say RH (the song) perfectly encapsulates the state of mind of modern day Madonna but as it turns out that was sort of the teaser for MX. She really went all in with it. MX IS Madonna circa 2019 through and through (like her/it or not). 

I know how important this is to so many Madonna fans through reading this forum for years but being " cohesive" never is of any influence to me or effects my enjoyment of albums by anyone.  My love for Madonna's music is loving the songs and her interpretation and performances of them. She is a wonderful song writer, singer and musician.  So the reasoning of saying Rebel Heart is inferior to Madame X for not being cohesive enough is the opposite to how I feel.  I prefer Rebel heart because I love the songs on it more. Love many songs in Madame X but overall prefer the songs on Rebel heart.  There is about 14 songs I adore totally on Rebel Heart that I never tire of which puts it in the top 3 Madonna albums for me personally. 

In saying that, it has always been something that every Madonna fan knows. We  all have different favourite songs and albums because Madonna provides us with those choices. Makes being a Madonna fan and reading people's favourite songs off each album interesting. 

48 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I know how important this is to so many Madonna fans through reading this forum for years but being " cohesive" never is of any influence to me or effects my enjoyment of albums by anyone.  My love for Madonna's music is loving the songs and her interpretation and performances of them. She is a wonderful song writer, singer and musician.  So the reasoning of saying Rebel Heart is inferior to Madame X for not being cohesive enough is the opposite to how I feel.  I prefer Rebel heart because I love the songs on it more. Love many songs in Madame X but overall prefer the songs on Rebel heart.  There is about 14 songs I adore totally on Rebel Heart that I never tire of which puts it in the top 3 Madonna albums for me personally. 

In saying that, it has always been something that every Madonna fan knows. We  all have different favourite songs and albums because Madonna provides us with those choices. Makes being a Madonna fan and reading people's favourite songs off each album interesting. 

Precisely. Also I am not sure why people need to put down RH either by way of comparison, maybe the very same people whom four years ago raved about RH. Cohesive on Madonna's music does not hold significance to me either. Cohesive... reminds me of certain corporate types of people when they need to describe a team that works together, "cohesive". Barf. 

16 minutes ago, Gaudet said:

Precisely. Also I am not sure why people need to put down RH either by way of comparison, maybe the very same people whom four years ago raved about RH. Cohesive on Madonna's music does not hold significance to me either. Cohesive... reminds me of certain corporate types of people when they need to describe a team that works together, "cohesive". Barf. 

Why the hate with cohesiveness? Ray of Light is a very cohesive album. So is True Blue. And Erotica. Why do you have to put down cohesiveness? 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I know how important this is to so many Madonna fans through reading this forum for years but being " cohesive" never is of any influence to me or effects my enjoyment of albums by anyone.  My love for Madonna's music is loving the songs and her interpretation and performances of them.

Madonna being "cohesive" most definitely isn't a necessity for me in any way. In fact, having albums that have songs that may sound different from one another keeps things interesting....variety is good. I'm probably one of the few that actually likes MDNA. That album has some great songs, you can skip around, create your own playlist of the songs however you'd like and it really doesn't disrupt any "flow" or overall "mood". I feel like you can do that some with RH and even Music as well. For me there's something special though when an album creates a whole mood or atmosphere where you just get completely lost in the music for the whole duration of the album in the way Erotica, ROL, COADF, MX etc do, where the whole is better than the sum of the parts. To me re-sequencing tracks on any of those albums is pretty close to blasphemy lol. Those albums are like going on a journey when you put them on....at least for me they are and it's typically her more cohesive albums that evoke that feeling. Doesn't make the others inferior in any way though, simply different. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

We  all have different favourite songs and albums because Madonna provides us with those choices. Makes being a Madonna fan and reading people's favourite songs off each album interesting. 

She has a flavor for everything. That's what makes her so amazing. We pretty much have something to select for any and every mood and that's something fans of many other artists can't say!! 

I don't listen Madame X often. but to be fair, I don't listen much music anymore, and when I do it's more dj set, ibiza global radio or a spotify playlist based on the music I shazam (electronic, rock, weird music..). Maybe it's because of my age (I'm 43), maybe I don't really connect with Madonna current work anymore, I don't know, it's weird. Sorry I'm little off topic.

3 hours ago, FeTuoni said:

Why the hate with cohesiveness? Ray of Light is a very cohesive album. So is True Blue. And Erotica. Why do you have to put down cohesiveness? 

To me there are 3 words that have lost their true meaning in describing art, music or people.  Cohesive, irrevelant and dated. I can't see that True Blue is cohesive at all and I adore True Blue. I don't really see how Madame X is cohesive either. Medellin, Dark Ballet, Crave, Crazy, Batuka, Extreme occidental and Idsif sound nothing like each other for example. Each song could be on several albums of Madonna's from the past.  Again, that is not an issue to me. 

I respect though that others think differently. Just don't really see where Madame X is cohesive and with people saying they adore it because it is cohesive, I just don't see it. 

27 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

To me there are 3 words that have lost their true meaning in describing art, music or people.  Cohesive, irrevelant and dated. I can't see that True Blue is cohesive at all and I adore True Blue. I don't really see how Madame X is cohesive either. Medellin, Dark Ballet, Crave, Crazy, Batuka, Extreme occidental and Idsif sound nothing like each other for example. Each song could be on several albums of Madonna's from the past.  Again, that is not an issue to me. 

I respect though that others think differently. Just don't really see where Madame X is cohesive and with people saying they adore it because it is cohesive, I just don't see it. 

The point is... it doesn’t matter if it’s cohesive or not. Just enjoy the ride. No matter how “non linear” it is. Enjoy the places the music takes you. 

What I think is silly is some people saying they think cohesiveness sucks because Madonna’s last album is not cohesive. Or vice versa. 

It’s been a while since I last posted. With a lot going on personally and collectively, I was glad to have my unique rapport with Madame X the way I did with Madonna albums when I was a child and teenager.

Opinions are what make this forum function. Without discussion, which includes differing opinions, there is no passion. Without passion there is no longer a measurable fan base. I sense there has been a surging reluctance to contribute by many members since the release of the Madame X album because anything short of syncophantry is often shot down. Personally, I feel it’s almost impossible in the modern era to not be affected by the defeatism of the measure of relevance of any musical release by its chart performance, validation by the media and streaming presence. While some are able to accept that Madonna is far from her commercial peaks of yore, and are therefore able to contextualize the quality of her work outside of its mass cultural validity, others cannot relate to music without it forming the Zeitgeist. I think it’s important to recognize this within the fan base because it is a real phenomenon that we have had to adapt to her dwindling mainstream appeal after a very long imperial phase. It’s been a bittersweet chapter in Madonna’s career in my opinion. Almost nobody is able to harness cross-generational interest in this era of the minute attention span, and she gave it a really good shot. When something isn’t embraced by the masses, it’s invalidating for the fan...particularly in Madonna’s case because she has been expected to prove herself at every turn for 36 years, and there’s almost a collective gleefulness in being able to dismiss her value due to being less commercially relevant.

I find this album mostly cohesive (I define cohesive in this case as the vast majority of songs that make up the collective album forming a common flow of style, production techniques, and quality), but it has flaws too. This doesn’t prevent me from enjoying it, but I’ll admit my enthusiasm for it was tempered by the sometimes schizophrenic forum dialog (Eurovision was a nightmarish kickoff, and I’m not referring to her vocals) in the first month following its release, and so I personally stepped away. Musically, I find Madame X to be quietly triumphant. There are some beautiful melodies, and the warm subtlety of many of the songs is what gives an overall richness to the album experience. That said, paradoxically, and at the risk of enticing a mob mentality clapback, a considerable part of what I do not enjoy as much about Madame X is Madonna’s voice. There are certainly magnificent moments; Looking For Mercy, Crazy, Come Alive, Extreme Occident, and Killers are all glorious Madonna vocal classics for me. However, scattered throughout are moments when I find it to sound weak and limited, poorly produced, and more often diminished by bells and whistles that I don’t find to showcase her strengths. Again, I understand this is totally subjective, and also somewhat unfair considering that 99% of today’s pop is pitch corrected and heavily filtered. Unfortunately I do think some fans and casual listeners have interpreted the vocal manipulations as a reinforcement of the notion that Madonna’s voice itself has deteriorated substantially, and that it requires this type of distortion. This is just an opinion, and I respect anyone else’s if it is coming from a constructive place. I’m fully aware that Madonna has defended her artistic license to use her voice as a malleable instrument, and I am in total agreement with that, but that doesn’t negate the way something is received by the individual ear. I prefer when her voice sounds intimate and accessible, but preferences are just like opinions and assholes. We all have them. 

When the only things that keep you excited about an era are the REMIXES ( :doh: ), it says a lot about the lack of promo...

It's wrong because the promo for this album started so strong but it all went flat very quickly. 

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Well said Jan. Adding a further term that lost its original meaning: "hate". If, god forbid, one shall express a dislike over something or somebody, that automatically gets branded as hate/hater. Not everything is black and white or extreme as "hate" as some people always seem to imply.

Its really striking how little excitement this album has generated. I can not really say why. The album itself is among her strongest outputs, Medellin, Batuka are great videos... Its probably because she is less and less connecting with the new generation and there hasnt been a song of hers that has gone viral lately. Its kind of understandable as her last real hit is 11 years ago. I also dont listen much to the album but I usually dont listen much to music. However whenever I am listening to it, I really like it.

Strangely, I find myself listening to Chao Bella on repeat the most!

1 hour ago, runa said:

When the only things that keep you excited about an era are the REMIXES ( :doh: ), it says a lot about the lack of promo...

It's wrong because the promo for this album started so strong but it all went flat very quickly. 

Other artists don't promote at all tho, like not even one interview., so I guess we can consider ourselves lucky.

IDK, how promotion works these days, like what do the others do?

28 minutes ago, elijah said:

Its really striking how little excitement this album has generated.

It's because of the lack of commercial success and interest from the public, it's that simple. @Herfaceremains

worded it better than I can tho.

29 minutes ago, Andra said:

Other artists don't promote at all tho, like not even one interview., so I guess we can consider ourselves lucky.

IDK, how promotion works these days, like what do the others do?

Well... when you see the album is not even in the top 200, anymore, it says a lot. Lack of promotion won't explain everything, but it will explain a lot. 
I sometimes feel she was more invested in promoting her skincare line than her album. 

5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

OMG, how I agree with every words you wrote. 

2 hours ago, Herfaceremains said:

It’s been a while since I last posted. With a lot going on personally and collectively, I was glad to have my unique rapport with Madame X the way I did with Madonna albums when I was a child and teenager.

Opinions are what make this forum function. Without discussion, which includes differing opinions, there is no passion. Without passion there is no longer a measurable fan base. I sense there has been a surging reluctance to contribute by many members since the release of the Madame X album because anything short of syncophantry is often shot down. Personally, I feel it’s almost impossible in the modern era to not be affected by the defeatism of the measure of relevance of any musical release by its chart performance, validation by the media and streaming presence. While some are able to accept that Madonna is far from her commercial peaks of yore, and are therefore able to contextualize the quality of her work outside of its mass cultural validity, others cannot relate to music without it forming the Zeitgeist. I think it’s important to recognize this within the fan base because it is a real phenomenon that we have had to adapt to her dwindling mainstream appeal after a very long imperial phase. It’s been a bittersweet chapter in Madonna’s career in my opinion. Almost nobody is able to harness cross-generational interest in this era of the minute attention span, and she gave it a really good shot. When something isn’t embraced by the masses, it’s invalidating for the fan...particularly in Madonna’s case because she has been expected to prove herself at every turn for 36 years, and there’s almost a collective gleefulness in being able to dismiss her value due to being less commercially relevant.

I find this album mostly cohesive (I define cohesive in this case as the vast majority of songs that make up the collective album forming a common flow of style, production techniques, and quality), but it has flaws too. This doesn’t prevent me from enjoying it, but I’ll admit my enthusiasm for it was tempered by the sometimes schizophrenic forum dialog (Eurovision was a nightmarish kickoff, and I’m not referring to her vocals) in the first month following its release, and so I personally stepped away. Musically, I find Madame X to be quietly triumphant. There are some beautiful melodies, and the warm subtlety of many of the songs is what gives an overall richness to the album experience. That said, paradoxically, and at the risk of enticing a mob mentality clapback, a considerable part of what I do not enjoy as much about Madame X is Madonna’s voice. There are certainly magnificent moments; Looking For Mercy, Crazy, Come Alive, Extreme Occident, and Killers are all glorious Madonna vocal classics for me. However, scattered throughout are moments when I find it to sound weak and limited, poorly produced, and more often diminished by bells and whistles that I don’t find to showcase her strengths. Again, I understand this is totally subjective, and also somewhat unfair considering that 99% of today’s pop is pitch corrected and heavily filtered. Unfortunately I do think some fans and casual listeners have interpreted the vocal manipulations as a reinforcement of the notion that Madonna’s voice itself has deteriorated substantially, and that it requires this type of distortion. This is just an opinion, and I respect anyone else’s if it is coming from a constructive place. I’m fully aware that Madonna has defended her artistic license to use her voice as a malleable instrument, and I am in total agreement with that, but that doesn’t negate the way something is received by the individual ear. I prefer when her voice sounds intimate and accessible, but preferences are just like opinions and assholes. We all have them. 

Welcome back and so well said on everything. Actually, I am loving everyone's thoughts in this thread. I love the passion in this fan base and even when we disagree. I look at Madame X now as one of Madonna's best kept secrets. In it's future, it's going to be much like American Life in the way that it's unappreciated. But one thing I love is that Madonna did it her way with both albums and she's doesn't "give a....". 

On 8/11/2019 at 1:45 PM, imakicola said:

There’s this hilarious girl on Youtube who is reviewing all of Madonna’s albums in reverse chronological order.

She reviewed “Madame X” and while she liked some of the tracks, she didn’t like the album all that much. She just reviewed it for fun without wanting to review any more Madonna albums, but with the idea that she might try to do the top 5 fan favorites from her comments section. 

Then she was watching TV and heard “Ray of Light” in the background of some TV show, and fell in LOVE with the song. So she decided to view more M albums, with the idea that she wants to do all fourteen but might only do the top five in her comments section if she isn’t happy with what she hears. 

Then she reviewed “Rebel Heart,” and she fell in *LOVE* with the album. It was lovely to watch her get very excited about “Living for Love,” “Devil Pray,” “Ghosttown,” “Bitch I’m Madonna,” “Iconic,” “Hold Tight,” “Joan of Arc,” “Inside Out,” and “Wash All Over Me.” It actually made me miss “Rebel Heart,” which I haven’t listened to in several months.

The next was “MDNA.” Ooh boy. She didn’t like that one very much.

Then was “Hard Candy.” She didn’t like that one very much.

Next is “Confessions on a Dance Floor,” which she hasn’t done yet but I am banking on her falling in LOVE with it. “American Life” will come next, and we all know it splits fans so I am excited to see how she feels about it. Then will come “Music,” and then “Ray of Light,” the title track of which, inspired her to review the rest of the M catalogue. I am excited to see what she has to say about all of these albums, not because her opinion is that amazing or important, but because it’s interesting seeing what it would be like to have a new friend and show them all of M’s music and hear what they have to say from fresh ears untouched by M.

Her name on Youtube is AjayII. Personally I am glad she got MDNA and HC out of the way and still wants to continue, because for me those are the two albums that would be the least interesting to listen to in full for a casual listener, especially now that they are older albums.

I love how she couldn't understand how the songs  ( in MADAME X ) were structured. I love how the album left her confused, befuddled, to the point where she at one time just laughed cause she couldn't grasp what the hell was going on. The girl was not ready for such a wild and unfamiliar ride. Perhaps she was looking forward to being cradled and soothed and comforted by the songs. Well that's not what she needed. She needed to be woken, and unfucked. That's what Madonna did to her. And then she went on to review MDNA and got brain unfucked yet again with GANG BANG. OH, it was such an exhilarating experience watching the reviewer. But I don't recommend watching her, cause she has a very predictable and limited perspective and I felt like I needed to read an encyclopedia or something profound immediately afterwards , cause I felt like I got dumber just from watching her. 

2 hours ago, miki said:

I love how she couldn't understand how the songs  ( in MADAME X ) were structured. I love how the album left her confused, befuddled, to the point where she at one time just laughed cause she couldn't grasp what the hell was going on. The girl was not ready for such a wild and unfamiliar ride. Perhaps she was looking forward to being cradled and soothed and comforted by the songs. Well that's not what she needed. She needed to be woken, and unfucked. That's what Madonna did to her. And then she went on to review MDNA and got brain unfucked yet again with GANG BANG. OH, it was such an exhilarating experience watching the reviewer. But I don't recommend watching her, cause she has a very predictable and limited perspective and I felt like I needed to read an encyclopedia or something profound immediately afterwards , cause I felt like I got dumber just from watching her. 

Perfect. That girl is a representation of the general public. 

9 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I feel like it's weird to like the album just because you think it's cohesive, but, I do think the album is cohesive in that it tells a story. The theme is wanting to escape our shitshow society of mass shootings and a longing to find oneself in the state of the world. 

Some people are just into that kind of thing i guess. I for one don't NEED the album to have a 'theme' for me to enjoy it. Whats important is that i enjoy the songs on their own. I rarely even listen to an album from start to finish.

Traditionally concept albums and cohesive theme-based albums have fared much better with critics. We are all subject to unconscious bias as a result of the way we were educated, and cultural and intellectual snobbery had always traditionally dictated the zeitgeist until relatively recently. I can’t say populist-driven tastes have made for a particularly impressive shift in quality and diversity, but fortunately the upside of the “democratization” of the music industry post-streaming has at least made variety accessible to those who seek it out. 

P.S. thanks @Voguerista! More a temporary sojourn than a comeback. 😉🙏🏼

Edited by Herfaceremains

10 hours ago, Gaudet said:

Well said Jan. Adding a further term that lost its original meaning: "hate". If, god forbid, one shall express a dislike over something or somebody, that automatically gets branded as hate/hater. Not everything is black and white or extreme as "hate" as some people always seem to imply.

Agree. The word " hater" is thrown around too much and also has lost it's true meaning. Piers Morgan is a hater in the true sense - too many others are painted as haters when they are not. This goes on many topics, which stops meaningful debates and exchanges that can offer up different viewpoints in discussions which are interesting. 

Can we add 'iconic' to the list? People seemed to think if they're impressed with something or its very well known, it's iconic. 

Madonna's crucifixes and pointy bras are iconic. Many other aspects of her career are ground breaking, record breaking etc but not iconic.

This supposed youtube reviewer named Ajayll apparently has the audacity to judge something which she clearly does not have the brain capacity to comprehend. I know I've said a lot on the matter, yet I feel very upset that she was recommended by a forum member and loved by another.  She is  like a BULL IN A CHINA SHOP. And she does have thousands of views. In the past we had to contend with some professional music critics' biased opinions. Now any idiot can post a youtube review. And the more stupid it is, the higher the views it gets. I know I can avoid her idiocy by not watching her. I did, until I got tricked by the forum member's Bat-Fan and imakicola . SHAME ON THE BOTH OF YOU. 

3 hours ago, miki said:

This supposed youtube reviewer named Ajayll apparently has the audacity to judge something which she clearly does not have the brain capacity to comprehend. I know I've said a lot on the matter, yet I feel very upset that she was recommended by a forum member and loved by another.  She is  like a BULL IN A CHINA SHOP. And she does have thousands of views. In the past we had to contend with some professional music critics' biased opinions. Now any idiot can post a youtube review. And the more stupid it is, the higher the views it gets. I know I can avoid her idiocy by not watching her. I did, until I got tricked by the forum member's Bat-Fan and imakicola . SHAME ON THE BOTH OF YOU. 

I tricked you into watching her? Well I am sorry about that and I wasnt the first one to mention her nor did I recommend her, I said she was funny. I agree with you it is sad any idiot can rewiev any artist. But mostly I think these "listening and review" things in general are stupid as one needs to listen to the album more than ones to get it. And after her disinterest in Hard Candy I actually have no interest in watching her again, I thought her distaste for MDNA was appropriate, especially following her love for RH but after HC she irritated me to the point of no more..