"Funana" Thread

On 7/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

True. 

Must say that would have loved her to have replaced Mac Miller with Donna Summer - just my personal choice.  Think that Donna never got enough attention and respect after her death in the media compared to other stars.   

it sounds strange, but the timing for a star to die, is everything.Donna, or farrah fawcet for example, very bad timing...hopefully somebody will do a show with donna´s songs ala abba or queenn, and her name will be back where it should

anyways, the name that I miss there is george harrison´s, they wre (?) friends, at least back in the day

On 7/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

True. 

Must say that would have loved her to have replaced Mac Miller with Donna Summer - just my personal choice.  Think that Donna never got enough attention and respect after her death in the media compared to other stars.   

Definitely. And it's sad. She was one of a kind and tbh way more deserving of the praise what many who got full attention.

This is still one of the songs i keep coming back to. something about the simplistic melody and lyrics is just so perfect. The "our souls are starving" and "let's go dancing" are such beautiful madonna lines. Its like a reworking of the Into The Groove perspective.

And as a Prince fan, i absolutely love the shout out she gives him where all the music drops away. She obviously loved him as an artist.

I understand that it didnt really fit the record, but its as good as anything on there IMO.

Besides most having probably had a major impression on her personally and/or professionally...I feel like there's a sense of naming people who particularly were lost before their time. Those who, if not for tragic circumstances or illness, were taken from us too soon, and really had so much more to give. And we're missing something because of it. That's my impression to most of the names listed.

8 hours ago, Crozzauk said:

This is still one of the songs i keep coming back to. something about the simplistic melody and lyrics is just so perfect. The "our souls are starving" and "let's go dancing" are such beautiful madonna lines. Its like a reworking of the Into The Groove perspective.

And as a Prince fan, i absolutely love the shout out she gives him where all the music drops away. She obviously loved him as an artist.

I understand that it didnt really fit the record, but its as good as anything on there IMO.

Agree.   I know this seems to be the most "dislked"  song on the album for many but it has always been one of my favourites.  The sentimental sadness mixed with joy is something I treasure from Madonna and always have.  I love the melody and the feeling she puts in it. 

As you mentioned, she adored Prince and it shows.  Am so happy she talked of Prince, Elvis, Bob Marley, David Bowie and George Michael  as I know she adored them as artists - has said so many times.  Avicci too - he was such a sensitive and lovely soul who wrote some magnificent songs with her.  Whitney and Aretha were beautiful touches too - acknowledging other female musical legends. 

I do think it belongs on the record - along with Ciao Bella - two different and unique songs and both melodic, heart felt and beautiful. 

On 7/17/2019 at 5:10 AM, promise to try said:

it sounds strange, but the timing for a star to die, is everything.Donna, or farrah fawcet for example, very bad timing...hopefully somebody will do a show with donna´s songs ala abba or queenn, and her name will be back where it should

anyways, the name that I miss there is george harrison´s, they wre (?) friends, at least back in the day

Welp, sometimes life just isn't fair. They already made a show on Broadway last year with all of Donna Summer's music in it (it did get a few Tony nominations) and it's now on tour but it certainly isn't getting the kind of reception that Mamma Mia got. And the less said about "We Will Rock You" (the Queen musical,) the better. :lol:

7 hours ago, Tatu said:

Wait...wtf I feel so stupid. Where did you all get this song from??? 

Funana, Back That Up to the Beat, and Ciao Bella are exclusive to the two disc deluxe version of MX and the box set of MX.

they can be heard on YouTube for now 🙂 and hopefully Spotify soon 🙂 

7 hours ago, sillynate said:

Funana, Back That Up to the Beat, and Ciao Bella are exclusive to the two disc deluxe version of MX and the box set of MX.

they can be heard on YouTube for now 🙂 and hopefully Spotify soon 🙂 

Thank you! I guess I’m ordering that today! I have the iTunes, regular cd from the tour tickets and the Amazon version I guess not enough 🤣. I guess new music for me! Oh yeah!

On 7/21/2019 at 8:25 PM, Priceless said:

Welp, sometimes life just isn't fair. They already made a show on Broadway last year with all of Donna Summer's music in it (it did get a few Tony nominations) and it's now on tour but it certainly isn't getting the kind of reception that Mamma Mia got. And the less said about "We Will Rock You" (the Queen musical,) the better. :lol:

really???? I haven´t heard of it! yes, it´s not fair

• 2 months later...
On 6/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, Crystal Coffin said:

:chuckle: But the drums, they are cool! :wow:

On 6/16/2019 at 2:00 PM, Klasu said:

I think this is a very catchy song, definitely a grower. I love how it sounds like an African tribal chant and builds up driven by a kind of primordial force. The drums are everything and it goes very well together with Future on the deluxe edition. This is not my type of music in general, so it’s a great example of how the queen is educating me. 😜

The drums seem to be heavily inspired by James Brown's "Funky Drummer":

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eroticerotic

for some reason this song brought me to a dark place. lol 

almost, every single person I admired has died from an overdose, or suicide, or self destructed, or was a sociopath.

its made me really question and restructure alot lately.   fame  invites so much darkness. Madonna stuck to her discipline and avoided so much temptation....god bless her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, Msig said:

Seems to be a direct sample: ASCAP has added James Brown as a co-writer of "Funana".

I love this song. I don't know if it has been already discussed here but I think Funana has to do with life after dead (sorry if I am saying something obvious). I think of Funana as the heaven. The only small thing I don't like is this strong beat, it is a little to sharp, but I love everything else in this song.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/8/2019 at 12:26 AM, Msig said:

Ain't this sample popular in the late 80s/early 90s?

On 5/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, mtzlplk said:

Ain't this sample popular in the late 80s/early 90s?

it has been sampled in at least 1590 songs , it's extremely popular

Not a bad track and definitely better than Ciao Bella but i really can't stand the lyrics, that name-dropping is so cringeworthy and cheesy... million miles away from the ballsy one in Vogue.

On 12/30/2019 at 1:40 PM, Nick said:

This track is cute for sure, but yikes I can’t take the vocals.:lol:

Same. It is a very cute song, but ranks in my bottom 10 of worst Madonna songs. Just for the vocals alone. Hard to listen to

Funana is one of my favorite MX songs.  For me, it is a song about being overwhelmed by abandonment.  Madonna is a legend and she belongs to a fraternity.  These people were her mentors, her peers, her friends and in many ways her family. They started something, alongside her in many cases, and are now gone.  Funana is about carrying a broken heart but refusing to surrender.  In Funana, Madonna seems to remorsefully accept the passing of the freedom fighting torch as she comes to terms that she is surrounded by loneliness and isolation.  She is examining the social-political battleground and realizes that her comrades no longer have her back and they have fallen all around her. I imagine that life as a celebrity is very isolating, especially when the only people that treat you as a regular human being start disappearing.  The song is beautiful on so many levels.