“Killers Who Are Partying” thread

On 6/23/2019 at 4:41 AM, Nightshade said:

Did she ever explain what the title means?

I’m assuming the “killers” are the silent majority whose lack of awareness or compassion are either emotionally, mentally, or physically breaking down the oppressed groups she sings of. They are carrying on and “partying” while their fellow man suffers.

That’s my interpretation.  

Guest eroticerotic

The song oddly works despite the verse lyrics; I think it would make a beautiful video/performance. the vibe is addicting.

Guest eroticerotic
Just now, Shaun said:

I’m assuming the “killers” are the silent majority whose lack of awareness or compassion are either emotionally, mentally, or physically breaking down the oppressed groups she sings of. They are carrying on and “partying” while their fellow man suffers.

That’s a good one!

i took it as killers  as in hate/negativity killers

Who are partying (celebrating their success)

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

You made me think!

So the Killers are those in power who exploit the marginalized people Madonna sings for.

'the Partying' is because they get away with it.

That's what I think lol

15 hours ago, Shaun said:

I love this interpretation! 

I think this may just be one of my favorites from the whole album. And I wasn't expecting that. I never put much stock in what critics says, but with nearly all of them writing this one off, I just kind of went in with no expectations...and was blown away upon first listen. I mean, just one play of the song made me go "what the hell are these folks missing!!!???". Absolutely one of the true highlights of the record.

As for the lyrics, they're classic Madonna. Maybe not perfectly eloquent, but not doubt firmly rooted in sincerity. Nothing cringeworthy about them at all. I think the misunderstanding or offense at them comes right to M's dislike for literalism. I mean, take it literally, and of course you will be offended. But as said by many, it's quite sad that the concepts of compassion, solidarity and most importantly, empathy, are so polarizing if they don't come 'in the right way' by the 'right kind of people'. It amazes me that the concept of oneness is so polarizing, particularly to those who should be embracing it. I'm glad she's never apologized for this side of her beliefs, no matter how privileged she is.

Its a highlight for me from start to finish but the second half is just mind blowing

bravo madonna and mirwais 

Edited by Andgon144

There is a rumor that a visual video for this is being released tomorrow.  Anyone know about this?

The music is soooo good. But the lyrics. Embarasing. I always skip this one. Sorry guys, but for me it is a missed opportunity

12 minutes ago, Ladyplus said:

The music is soooo good. But the lyrics. Embarasing. I always skip this one. Sorry guys, but for me it is a missed opportunity

I could not disagree more.  I hear nothing embarrassing.  Nothing. The lyrics are pretty deep.  

9 minutes ago, sul8323 said:

I could not disagree more.  I hear nothing embarrassing.  Nothing. The lyrics are pretty deep.  

🥰 That is the power of democracy.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, Rock said:

The refrain always makes me smile cuz she pronounces "selvagem" (wild) like "só vagem" (just stringbean). :chuckle:

I always smile a little bit at this part too, but I think it is cute. I think the explanation is that someone who speaks portuguese from Portugal taught Madonna the pronounciation. The Portuguese pronounce an "e" like a closed "â" and the "l" has a special sound, different from Spanish or English. It is very difficult to pronounce the combination "el" like the Portuguese do and very often people who learn Portuguese pronounce this combinationn like an "ó", just like Madonna does. She has overall a good pronounciation but she does it better when she sings in "brazilian" portuguese

19 hours ago, sul8323 said:

There is a rumor that a visual video for this is being released tomorrow.  Anyone know about this?

any news?

question, is this beautiful track the first Madonna "humming" moment we've had since when? (hear: 3:34)

i can't remember the last time we had a hum.

50 minutes ago, Carey said:

question, is this beautiful track the first Madonna "humming" moment we've had since when? (hear: 3:34)

I know!!! It was such a shock when I first heard it! Nobody hummmm’s like M. No idea why she stopped. 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Thank you for pointing this out! Gorgeous. This song continues to surprise with its intricate layers.

Every time I am convinced that Looking For Mercy contains the greatest vocal of the album, this song stands up to say hello.  Such haunting, ethereal singing by Madonna.  I’m loving the lyrics more with each play.  Also: a production highlight of the album.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:26 AM, Stephen said:

Slowly becoming one of my favorites 

reminds me of the last scene in Salo

That's an interesting connection.