"Crazy" thread

On 9/30/2019 at 9:11 PM, boy skeffington said:

Agreed! Radio friendly Madonna heaven.

Absolutely! There's so much greatness on MX for me that even this gem doesn't rank at the top of my MX list but in another place and time, this would've been a perfect single. Don't think it really matters what she releases as a single these days but damn....this song just checks all the boxes....unique, amazing vocals, catchy, accessible/universal and that Motown flair......she's always a Detroit girl at heart! 

• 1 month later...

This song is one of those which surprised me the most. I remember the first listening and falling in love for it instantaneously. The portuguese spoken parts are incredibly sweet

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

For the same reason I just “bumped” the “Come Alive” thread, I wanted to show “Crazy” a little love, as it is another of my faves. It just has a little bit of bounce to it, but also the lovely Portuguese instrumentation ... I know lots of folks say this song makes them happy ... and it does that for me, too, in a way. But I also feel a real sense of sadness and the melancholy in it. The weight of lost love — you can hear its strain on her voice. Even though she is defiant and determined to move on, I still feel tears well in my eyes sometimes when I listen to it. The real and raw delivery on the second verse, and the spoken Portuguese line ... and the bridge! Her bridges are always so good. (Love that muffled “yeah yeah yeah” falling in the background of the bridge, too!)

I think this one is influenced by the morna style, yes? Someone was asking up-thread, and I don’t know if anyone mentioned morna. Thought she said that in one interview. That accordion sound is so mournful and longing to me. 

And again the live version was a lovely highlight! Her standing on a table in her fado club and turning the male dancers away. Loved it.