“God Control” thread - video coming #soon

4 hours ago, Jeby said:

I think releasing it this week will keep it in peoples minds especially with a song like God Control which by all accounts is one of the better songs on the album. Add a controversial video that will be talked about, it keeps the album in and on minds and possibly prevents a steep drop in its second week. I did not think it needed explaining. 

it needed explaining because a video isn't going to have much of an impact at this point. m has very little streaming or radio play. the album is going to drop and fans should just enjoy the video when she decides to release it. 

28 minutes ago, bardo said:

it needed explaining because a video isn't going to have much of an impact at this point. m has very little streaming or radio play. the album is going to drop and fans should just enjoy the video when she decides to release it. 

We will definitely enjoy it.

What happens if the violent imagery backfires and the Twitter mafia accuses her of appropriating a tragedy? This just feels really risky to me. Really, really risky. 

4 minutes ago, bcx said:

What happens if the violent imagery backfires and the Twitter mafia accuses her of appropriating a tragedy? This just feels really risky to me. Really, really risky. 

SJWs have said she's guilty of cultural appropriation for a while now, so being accused of appropriating a tragedy won't deter her. She should just do what she wants.

Just now, frzndrwnwrld said:

SJWs have said she's guilty of cultural appropriation for a while now, so being accused of appropriating a tragedy won't deter her. She should just do what she wants.

I mean I agree that she should do what she wants. But if THIS backfires, it could be devastating. I guess I just have to hope the director knows what he’s doing. If I was a Pulse survivor I might feel a bit uncomfortable watching a video depicting a massacre at a disco. 

8 minutes ago, bcx said:

I mean I agree that she should do what she wants. But if THIS backfires, it could be devastating. I guess I just have to hope the director knows what he’s doing. If I was a Pulse survivor I might feel a bit uncomfortable watching a video depicting a massacre at a disco. 

So, are you suggesting that she shelve the single and video release of GC? Or have a watered down video a la AL?  I believe this was already shot months ago. 

7 minutes ago, bcx said:

God Control is directed by Jonas Akerlund. Remember what happened with American Life? A backlash is possible but I don't see it affecting anything. Back then, she was severely affected with the radio boycott but now, she's already not getting radio play. The majority of people who bought the album were hardcore fans. Her fan base will love the video. They won't be turned off, so it's a win/win. When it comes to the tour, I do think many people from the general public bought tickets but I don't see them demanding refunds just because the God Control video depicts what happened at Pulse.

Adult outlets are playing "Crave," but I agree that any "backlash" won't do too much harm. She's not in her commercial heyday any longer.

What would be nice is if the video ends with the general message M wants to convey (not just "guns should be illegal"), whether with text or something else.

I’m not worried about a backlash affecting her sales. It would be worse than that. “American Life” merely pissed off the country because it wasn’t yet in the mindset that the war was wrong. They felt the video was political grandstanding. This would be different. If it backfires, she’ll be dragged for being insensitive to shooting victims by depicting the act so literally in the video. 

I mean, I could be wrong. But it’s definitely touchy and it’s going to depend on how carefully Akerlund handles the subject. There’s just a million ways this could go wrong. 

Some of the queens in the video where at pulse or lost friends there, or they used to perform there, I think if there was any distaste, it would have been said. The only people who will backlash are the people who always backlash .

Just now, bcx said:

I’m not worried about a backlash affecting her sales. It would be worse than that. “American Life” merely pissed off the country because it wasn’t yet in the mindset that the war was wrong. They felt the video was political grandstanding. This would be different. If it backfires, she’ll be dragged for being insensitive to shooting victims by depicting the act so literally in the video. 

I mean, I could be wrong. But it’s definitely touchy and it’s going to depend on how carefully Akerlund handles the subject. There’s just a million ways this could go wrong. 

This is your perspective. Wait till the full video drops. Too much paranoia. 

What the hell does she have to lose by releasing anything 'controversial' these days? Not a fucking thing. 

Nowadays a 'controversy' by anyone that breaks at 9am - politician, celebrity, - is old news by 5pm. She'll get some buzz with this video and she'll get some flack by the usual bunch of pearl clutching, woke, Twitter tappers and that will be that. 

I mean, I read in some review of Medellin that she was 'insensitive' by even putting the word 'cartel' in the song. Are you kidding me? This is where we're at? Dissecting a pop song lyric by lyric and showcasing 'outrage' over the phrase 'cartel for love'?

It's no wonder she enjoys singing Future since the song seems address this very type of eye rolling behavior.

I hope the video is graphic. I hope it's shocking. I hope it gets my heart beating. I hope it offends as many people as she can hope to offend. I hope MADONNA is trending ALL GOD DAMN DAY LONG the day the video is released regardless of if it's positive or negative.  

Just now, Flip The Switch said:

This is your perspective. Wait till the full video drops. Too much paranoia. 

Maybe. But once the video drops it’s too late. 

But it then again... not my circus. 

1 minute ago, KalamazooJay said:

What the hell does she have to lose by releasing 'controversial' these days? Not a fucking thing. 

Nowadays a 'controversy' by anyone that breaks at 9am - politician, celebrity, - is old news by 5pm. She'll get some buzz with this video and she'll get some flack by the usual bunch of pearl clutching, woke, Twitter tappers and that will be that. 

I mean, I read in some review of Medellin that she was 'insensitive' by even putting the word 'cartel' in the song. I mean, are you kidding me? This is where we're at? Dissecting a pop song lyric by lyric and showcasing 'outrage' over the phrase 'cartel for love'?

It's no wonder she enjoys singing Future since the song seems address this very type of eye rolling behavior.

I hope the video is graphic. I hope it's shocking. I hope it gets my heart beating. I hope it offends as many people as she can hope to offend. I hope MADONNA is trending ALL GOD DAMN DAY LONG the day the video is released regardless of if it's positive or negative.  

This is different, fam. People died. A lot of people. 

Anyway, it’s up to fate now. Not me. 

7 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

What the hell does she have to lose by releasing anything 'controversial' these days? Not a fucking thing. 

I mean, I read in some review of Medellin that she was 'insensitive' by even putting the word 'cartel' in the song. Are you kidding me? This is where we're at? Dissecting a pop song lyric by lyric and showcasing 'outrage' over the phrase 'cartel for love'?

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻