“God Control” thread - video coming #soon

Right, so this is the mind blowing ear orgasm everyone was raving about in leak days before the official release, the disco banger or disco stomper a certain Lucy O'Brien referred to weeks ago. Here my first thoughts upon first listen yesterday past midnight, playing on a shitty streaming service:

Time 0:00 to 0:53 = "Madonna, darling, easy with the pastel de nata: is a piece of custard stuck on your palate by any chance?"

Time 0:54 to 1:24 = "Male choir. Mmm. Getting serious here. Don't fuck with Madonna."

Time 1:25 to 1:40 = "Serious choir mode replaced by strings 70s disco style a la Cerrone. Grabbing my Agnetha's costume."

Time 1:41 to 2:10 = "Pastel de nata gone, welcome back on the dance floor, Madonna"

Time 2:11 to 2:26 = "AH, the Tom Tom Club reference some people were mentioning."

Time 2:27 to 2:41 = "Swirling strings, whispering sultry Madonna, 4/4 beat, immersing oneself into a multilayered cake with creme chantilly on top"

Time 2:42 to 2:57 = "Carrying on with the 70s style connections, French space rock band the Rockets spring to mind on this vocoder part."

Time 2:58 to 3:44 = "You can take Studio 54 out of Madonna."

Time 3:45 to 3:59 = "Rap rap rap, It works."

Time 4:00 to 4:37 = "Sultry M, disco full mode, I can see this filling club dance floors in every nation, more than having gun control"

Time 4:38 to 5:44 = "All coming together now (minus the custard, thankfully) chore message, sultry Madonna, serious male choir"

Time 5:45 to the end = "I get it"

=============================

At first the over-hype clouded my ability to fully appreciate, expecting fuck's know what based on the WOHOOA comments and misleading raving reviews I saw as if a tsunami had just hit. Never set expectations too high and never pay attention to reviews of something not heard yet, lesson learned. BUT this is by far the one that I have been playing the most out of all the album, bonus tracks included. Meaning, I enjoy it, a lot.

Now, 24hr later, having played the album using a proper Hi-Fi sound stereo system for a good 7 hours now, God Control is my favorite song without any doubt along with I Don't Search I Find, followed by Faz, Ciao Bella, Extreme Occident. This is by far the strongest track to me out of the entire album.

On my numerous plays over the last 7 hours, I was trying to imagine how I will experience this song live next year, how Madonna is going to bring the houses down when this will be... the final encore for sure.

To me God Control cannot be compared to previous tracks from previous albums, this is on its own league despite the 70s recollection that some may associate to Confessions by default.

I love her voice in the beginning of the song.. sounds like her lips/teeth are clenched, like she’s angry...gives the song good emotion

1 hour ago, jonur said:

I love her voice in the beginning of the song.. sounds like her lips/teeth are clenched, like she’s angry...gives the song good emotion

Does she have a gun in her mouth? I can see that totally happening in the video  

4 hours ago, Gaudet said:

To me God Control cannot be compared to previous tracks from previous albums, this is on its own league despite the 70s recollection that some may associate to Confessions by default.

Thanks.People keep comparing it to Confessions and I don't think this song resembles Confessions at all. There are only this association with the 70s sound

2 hours ago, jonur said:

It’s part of the role she’s playing.

There is angry and ira there, passive-aggressiveness vibes! 

2 hours ago, jonur said:

I think she plays the prisoner persona on this track and her lips are metaphorically sewn in like on the standard album cover. 

4 hours ago, Kilt said:

I think she plays the prisoner persona on this track and her lips are metaphorically sewn in like on the standard album cover. 

oh how interesting!!!!! I love this

6 hours ago, jonur said:

This! I agree, and it’s a statement. Even with my mouth closed after you tell us to shut up about gun control every time after one of these terrible shootings occur, I’m gonna speak even if it’s through my “clenched mouth” or “sewn lips”. 

To me this is one of the best dance tracks she’s ever done! So many layers, different parts. I keep going ‘ooh I love this part’! It’s a classic for me already. 

48 minutes ago, smirnoff_ice said:

To me this is one of the best dance tracks she’s ever done! So many layers, different parts. I keep going ‘ooh I love this part’! It’s a classic for me already. 

👏 :clap:

It's an event, not just a "song"

When I first heard this song, I wasn't feeling it all. But with more listens, I'm starting to really like it. In fact, when I woke up, it was stuck in my head and I couldn't wait to play it first today.