"I Rise" thread

So yesterday was my first time hearing this song and I was very worried because I was so looking forward to it as another  great album closer but reading the fan reviews when it was released got me really worried.  However, when I heard it I was overjoyed and relieved - I absolutely love it and it's one of my favorites.  Maybe it was because it was out of context that many didn't like it?  There's really nothing I don't like about this song, great lyrics, great vocals and melody and a wonderful message.  I think it speaks to M personally but is also universal to anyone who has felt attacked or marginalized or who just wants to give up.  I think this song stands proudly against other great album closers like Easy Ride, Secret Garden, and  Gone.  It's inspirational.

12 hours ago, Mooncrown11 said:

So yesterday was my first time hearing this song and I was very worried because I was so looking forward to it as another  great album closer but reading the fan reviews when it was released got me really worried.  However, when I heard it I was overjoyed and relieved - I absolutely love it and it's one of my favorites.  Maybe it was because it was out of context that many didn't like it?  There's really nothing I don't like about this song, great lyrics, great vocals and melody and a wonderful message.  I think it speaks to M personally but is also universal to anyone who has felt attacked or marginalized or who just wants to give up.  I think this song stands proudly against other great album closers like Easy Ride, Secret Garden, and  Gone.  It's inspirational.

👏

Heard the Tracy Young Remix today on BPM (satellite radio dance station) and it was just another generic uninspired Tracy Young Remix. Oh well. 

On 6/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, Mooncrown11 said:

Same, I can’t believe so many people were underwhelmed by this song. When I finally heard it I was blown away. Beautiful song and a beautiful close to the album. 

The powerful images used in the TIME video and the placement on the record just after Looking for Mercy really elevate the song to new heights. Sometimes it's merely a question of context... 

Tracy Young remix I think is the best official remix for years from Madonna - has that classic Madonna sound and feeling.  True to the original and fits the song really well

Edited by MDNA45

This song was added to all Carrefour (a Supermarket) music playlist in Spain. Which I find weird because they never added Medellin or Crave (or anything Madonna related before) and it sounded great! 

I keep discovering new parts in the songs on Madame X.  During the “we gonna rise up, we gotta get up” breakdown at the end of I Rise, you can hear Madonna doing a second vocal underneath in which she sings “I will rise.”  I just picked up on this haha!

On 6/22/2019 at 11:59 PM, ErGallo said:

This song was added to all Carrefour (a Supermarket) music playlist in Spain. Which I find weird because they never added Medellin or Crave (or anything Madonna related before) and it sounded great! 

Oooooh great! 

This is the perfect song to close out the album. Yeah we gonna rise up, indeed. :inlove: 

7 hours ago, karbatal said:

I never understood the need of remixing a ballad. Those mixes are horrible.

But when done well they can be brilliant! Like Toni B’s Unbreak My Heart, for example. I feel like I Rise is a ballad with great remix potential because of the “anthemic” quality it has. 

What we need is an Emma Gonza-less version of the album version.