MADAME X album reviews

All, don't forget to RATE the album wherever you bought it!

I did iTunes and Amazon all formats since I went crazy and bought all formats. 🙂

Most important one is to go to Metacritic site and create a user ID and leave a USER review. Currently it is the best reviewed album of the year by User Score!!!

https://www.metacritic.com/music/madame-x/madonna?recent-sort=userscore

Madame X reviews.JPG

So it’s received half as many professional reviews as MDNA so far...

Hmmm... maybe rather than admitting the album is actually good, many of them are just avoiding posting reviews altogether? :lol:

You can even detect this snooty attitude in many of the high-score reviews so far, where they seem to have spent most of the review slagging off her previous few albums (and her), only to reluctantly admit by the end that Madame X is good!

7 minutes ago, Mr Ciccone said:

Hmmm... maybe rather than admitting the album is actually good, many of them are just avoiding posting reviews altogether? :lol:

You can even detect this snooty attitude in many of the high-score reviews so far, where they seem to have spent most of the review slagging off her previous few albums (and her), only to reluctantly admit by the end that Madame X is good!

:chuckle:  👍

Rather transparent wouldn't you say

I lost count of what's posted or not. A good review from Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2019/06/14/madonnas-madame-x-is-bizarre-and-brilliant-review/#457357be68bb

Madonna’s ‘Madame X’ Is Bizarre And Brilliant: Review

Madonna’s Madame X is a prime example of an A-list artist who knows she can do what the heck she wants – and boy, she does.

Her 14th studio album could just play it safe with the sort of infectious music that has taken dance floors by storm since the 1980s. It doesn’t, though this was implied by the first single, a duet with Colombian reggaeton singer and songwriter Maluma. “Medellín” came blasting out with so-fashionable Latin pop. The track pretty much defies you to keep still. You think Luis Fonsi had the market nailed? On the album,, we find Madonna, again with Maluma, doing a Latino workout on “Bitch I’m Loca.” Songs like this are straightforward enough.

Madame X is not Madonna playing it safe after four years away. Instead, she takes risks, some of which pay off brilliantly. While it may baffle some and not be so commercially-friendly as some predecessors, Madonna has been here before. Hands up, those who remember American Life in 2003 which mixed the mainstream, even her Bond theme “Die Another Day,” with daring concepts that were perplexing to some and misunderstood by others.

Straight after the “Medellín” opener, Madonna kicks into her “strange days” mode with the next two tracks.

First, “Dark Ballet” has a six-minute video with images of Joan of Arc. The lyric is incendiary too: “people tell me to shut my mouth, that I might get burned.”

Then “God Control” is also six minutes, starting with a languid rap and then breaking into choral backing, strings and lyrics such as “This is your wake-up call/ I’m like your nightmare/ I’m here to start your day… People think that I’m insane/ The only gun is in my brain/ Each new birth, it gives me hope/ That’s why I don’t smoke that dope.”

Madonna feels free to add some serious political comment with “Killers Who Are Partying.”

We perhaps had inklings that this was going to be a challenging Madonna album, from the time she announced that the Madame X persona was its cornerstone concept. For those who don’t know, Madonna has explained that “Madame X” was a nickname given to her by her dance teacher Martha Graham, who told the 19-year-old Madonna Louise Ciccone: “Every day, you come to school, and I don’t recognize you.” Madonna says that it gives her the chance to be a chameleon: anybody from a mother to a head of state, saint, nun or whore. These are roles she has played for years of course, and Madame X is being inevitably compared with Beyoncé’s Sasha Fierce persona.

Albums where stars get weird on us or divert from their normal style can divide the critics: Bob Dylan’s Street-Legal, U2’s Achtung Baby, Radiohead’s Kid A. If anyone is dismissive, the creator can say that they are being ironic and usually win some kudos for trying something different rather than being stuck in the same creative rut.

Madonna, at 60, is definitely not stuck in a rut and is always interesting even with the flaws. Anyone who expects her to be making another Like A Virgin is both misguided and outdated. This is not a classic album to sit alongside Like A Prayer or Ray Of Light, may not win her many new fans and may not set the charts alight, but that’s not what this is about.

At its best Madame X has some moments that rate with her finest, such as the mid-pace, catchy Spanish-guitar tinged “Crave.” She croons “you’re the one I crave, and my cravings get dangerous.” Long may she remain a dangerous lady.

41 minutes ago, Mr Ciccone said:

That's because her record company people are asswipes. Magazines and papers
really aren't gonna buy the album for a review, unless someone really wants 2 review it.
They are not sending out enough copies.

I posted a review in that Metracritic page. I love the album so much that I only had to explain how much I like it. I think we all should post our review there. It 's so great that this album is being enjoyed by so many fans! 

34 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I posted a review in that Metracritic page. I love the album so much that I only had to explain how much I like it. I think we all should post our review there. It 's so great that this album is being enjoyed by so many fans! 

The fans have spoken and they love Madame X. 

54 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Yes, i'm going to do the same, especially when the negative reviews from biased LM's are pissing me off so much. lol

21 minutes ago, Crux said:

Yes, i'm going to do the same, especially when the negative reviews from biased LM's are pissing me off so much. lol

I think that we are so used to comment our views here in the forum that we barely comment it in public spaces. We should be reviewing and posting positive feelings whenever we can. 

5 hours ago, CalinB said:

All, don't forget to RATE the album wherever you bought it!

I did iTunes and Amazon all formats since I went crazy and bought all formats. 🙂

Most important one is to go to Metacritic site and create a user ID and leave a USER review. Currently it is the best reviewed album of the year by User Score!!!

https://www.metacritic.com/music/madame-x/madonna?recent-sort=userscore

Madame X reviews.JPG

Done. She really deserves all the love and recognition for this album

3 minutes ago, nicholasyund said:

love this

Madonna’s weird, well-traveled 'Madame X' is her bid to become the world’s biggest cult artist

A number of daily Italian newspaper talk about Madame X:

LA REPUBBLICA - this one is under a paywall, but it mentions that Madonna apparently asked the prestigious La Scala theatre in Milan to host Madame X tour which was refused, as indeed that opera house by tradition only hosts opera style shows. I mean, Italy is choc full of historic majestic theatres, just because La Scala said "no", fuck them, there are plenty of other historical theatres across Italy in the main cities - oh well, never mind:

Madonna: "Perche' la Scala non mi vuole?" Da Salvini a Papa Francesco, la cantante si confronta con la stampa italiana per la pubblicazione del nuovo album "Madame X". E intanto il tour teatrale ignora il nostro paese

https://rep.repubblica.it/pwa/intervista/2019/06/16/news/madonna_perche_la_scala_non_mi_vuole_-228932232/?ref=RHPPBT-BH-I228910036-C8-P5-S1.8-T1

CORRIERE DELLA SERA

Madonna: «Voi Berlusconi e noi Trump. Ma non farei scambio con Salvini»

Nell’album «Madame X» anche un omaggio a «Bella ciao»: «Una canzone che parla di chi lotta per la libertà. Ho chiesto di suonare alla Scala ma non mi vogliono»

https://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/19_giugno_16/01-spettacoli-aprecorriere-web-sezioni-f27e86b4-9050-11e9-9eb3-08018d4e5f3d.shtml

IL MESSAGGERO

Madonna in politica: «Volevo correre per la Casa Bianca contro il sessismo»

https://www.ilmessaggero.it/pay/edicola/madonna_corsa_casa_bianca_contro_sessismo-4561428.html

So, Bruce Springsteen's album has a universal acclaim score of 83 but only a 6.2 user score. His fans are not thrilled with the album and are not swayed by the reviews. Madonna's fans are totally thrilled, excited and in love with Madame X.

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

I posted one on Amazon, lol. I felt very early 2000s. But like you say, it was easy because the album is that good. 

1 hour ago, nicholasyund said:

“Fourth world music”? Into it. 

1 hour ago, rebelgirl said:

30k820m.png

Mirwais instagram

This is really cool. Is it common for new albums to get a good user score and then decline, or can we expect this to hold steady?

Edited by Foolio

Guest jamesshot

Same, pitchfork can forgo writing a review. I don't need their back handed compliments or outright hostility. Or anything in between.