MADAME X album reviews

Danish newspaper Politiken published a 4/6 review on the cover of their Culture section. I haven't had the chance to read it in full yet, and it isn't online yet either, but they call the album the craziest experiment of Madonna's career.

can't believe this shit...iTunes has fucked up...it won't let me play god control but it downloaded it to my computer...

Danish music magazine Gaffa published their review of Madame X. Here's my rough translation:

Split personality from Portugal

3/6

https://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/137968/anmeldelse-personlighedsspaltning-fra-portugal/

It's obivious that Madonna's fourteenth album, Madame X, was inspired by sounds from all over the world, serving you anything from Eurodance to Latin rhythms. Several songs are even bilingual, with Madonna singing in Spanish and Portuguese.

Madonna has explained that the Madame X  character has several identities. She is a professor, a home carer, a nun and more. Similarly, the album reflects several personalities. The 15 new songs (18 on the deluxe version) might as well have been recorded by several different artists and not just one. Here, the 60-year-old singer shows how versatile she is, but unfortunately it is also the reason why it takes quite a few listens to understand the album as a whole.

The highlights are few, but undeniably strong. "Crave" is slick and almost minimalist in comparison with the rest of the album. "Medellín" gives you eurodance vibes on top of a well-produced electronic beat. "I Rise" stands as a beacon on an album which, at first listen, is dominated by unmemorable songs.

Previous Madonna ratings by Gaffa:

• Rebel Heart: 3/6
  • MDNA: 4/6
  • Hard Candy: 3/6
  • Confessions on a Dance Floor: 3/6
  • American Life: 5/6
  • Music: 4/6
  • Ray of Light: 4/6

3 minutes ago, Msig said:

Danish music magazine Gaffa published their review of Madame X. Here's my rough translation:

3/6

https://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/137968/anmeldelse-personlighedsspaltning-fra-portugal/

It's obivious that Madonna's fourteenth album, Madame X, was inspired by sounds from all over the world, serving you anything from Eurodance to Latin rhythms. Several songs are even bilingual, with Madonna singing in Spanish and Portuguese.

Madonna has explained that the Madame   character has several identities. She is a professor, a home carer, a nun and more. Similarly, the album reflects several personalities. The 15 new songs (18 on the deluxe version) might as well have been recorded by several different artists and not just one. Here, the 60-year-old singer shows how versatile she is, but unfortunately it is also the reason why it takes quite a few listens to understand the album as a whole.

The highlights are few, but undeniably strong. "Crave" is slick and almost minimalist in comparison with the rest of the album. "Medellín" gives you eurodance vibes on top of a well-produced electronic beat. "I Rise" stands as a beacon on an album which, at first listen, is dominated by unmemorable songs.

they don't like her--LOL-  3/6 for Confessions? WTF

Can we please not post mixed (unfavorable) reviews? This uninformed shit makes me mad. “Medellín gives eurodance vibes” yeah sure. 

Don't give them clicks and attention please. 

2 minutes ago, Lolo said:

Can we please not post mixed (unfavorable) reviews? This uninformed shit makes me mad. “Medellín gives eurodance vibes” yeah sure. 

Don't give them clicks and attention please. 

That couldn’t be more off. 🙄

Next. 

6 hours ago, Candyperfumeboy said:

The fact that American Life has a 60 is a pretty good representation of how accurate these reviews/critics are.. just sayin 

I'm surprised it's that high, her worst album by far. I still remember when my paper, The Philadelphia Inquirer, trashed AL and gave it a rare 1 star review

7 hours ago, Candyperfumeboy said:

The fact that American Life has a 60 is a pretty good representation of how accurate these reviews/critics are.. just sayin 

Exactly. American Life is a masterpiece and i still can't believe the mixed reviews it got. Talk about a misunderstood album.

1 hour ago, Msig said:

3/6

Madonna has explained that the Madame X  character has several identities. She is a professor, a home carer, a nun and more. Similarly, the album reflects several personalities. The 15 new songs (18 on the deluxe version) might as well have been recorded by several different artists and not just one. Here, the 60-year-old singer shows how versatile she is, but unfortunately it is also the reason why it takes quite a few listens to understand the album as a whole.

Bwahahaha. This is a critic? 

1 hour ago, Msig said:

3/6

I bet this cunt just streamed Medellin Sphinx remix, Crave and I rise from Youtube and based on this shitty piece around those 

7 minutes ago, side_streets said:

They haven't listened to the album obviously. 😂 

Or they're just dismissive of M's artistry. A publication that rates MDNA higher than ROL and COADF is laughable.

After listening to the album myself I can accept at least some of the criticism from the worst reviews but the overall bad ratings I don't agree with. Yeah some of the lyrics are a bit questionable but Music had "I like to boogie woogie" and that's a fucking track. So to hang your hat on "lyrics" as your reason to give it a bad review, when everything *works* is just unacceptable. This album is god tier Madonna - LAP, Erotica, ROL, COADF now MX.

1 minute ago, Napoléon said:

After listening to the album myself I can accept at least some of the criticism from the worst reviews but the overall bad ratings I don't agree with. Yeah some of the lyrics are a bit questionable but Music had "I like to boogie woogie" and that's a fucking track. So to hang your hat on "lyrics" as your reason to give it a bad review, when everything *works* is just unacceptable. This album is god tier Madonna - LAP, Erotica, ROL, COADF now MX.

Indeed! Masterpiece! 

Sorry if this has been posted but Variety gave it a great review .

Album Review: Madonna’s ‘Madame X’

Despite some lyrical missteps, she's passionate and satisfyingly unconcerned with mass consumption on her best album since “Confessions on a Dance Floor.”

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/madonna-madame-x-album-review-1203242374/

Has critics always been this divided regarding her albums? In swedish press the album has mostly not been so well received, but some are praising the album. I find the dichotomy kind of interesting.

7 minutes ago, micco said:

Has critics always been this divided regarding her albums? In swedish press the album has mostly not been so well received, but some are praising the album. I find the dichotomy kind of interesting.

There's something off from Germanic countries. It's as if Madame X pushed any weird button or something. The only places with bad reviews have been Germany, Denmark and Sweden. Weird! 

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

There's something off from Germanic countries. It's as if Madame X pushed any weird button or something. The only places with bad reviews have been Germany, Denmark and Sweden. Weird! 

They were ready to write her off and are baffled now

8 minutes ago, karbatal said:

She’s had mixed, unfavorable reviews in the US/ UK too. 

13 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

They were ready to write her off and are baffled now

I don't know if it were related to Eurovision. Precisely, it is a very, very, very big event in those countries. 

3 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Not as harsh and not as vile and not as many.

Most of the high profile publications (the ones that actually listened to the album) gave a good review. Let’s not overreact.