MADAME X album reviews

How in the world is doing Fado and Samba music "chasing trends"? I've never heard Ariana Grande or Dua Lipa making that kind of music. Fuck Uncut!

6 minutes ago, Sasori84 said:

Good review maybe the Arthur Fogel calling the rag out with Fuck you/fuck off knocked some sense in them. Short lived but in ink!

Just now, Macromad said:

How in the world is doing Fado and Samba music "chasing trends"? I've never heard Ariana Grande or Dua Lipa making that kind of music. Fuck Uncut!

They probably had an idea of what kind of review they were going to write before they even heard the album.

Pitchfork and Uncut are jokes. Bunch of white dudes who hate powerful women and get half-mast boners for Taylor Swift (who incidentally makes some of the worst music known to man)

4 minutes ago, alexis said:

what are the scores that should still enter the metacritic?

Mojo

All Music

Attitude

Spin

Pitchfork

Consequence of Sound

The AV Club

New York Times

Chicago Tribune

Boston Globe

PopMatters

maybe some others

1 minute ago, Shane said:

Mojo

All Music

Attitude

Spin

Pitchfork

Consequence of Sound

The AV Club

New York Times

Chicago Tribune

Boston Globe

PopMatters

maybe some others

Are they good reviews? or should her score drop even more?

2 minutes ago, alexis said:

Are they good reviews? or should her score drop even more?

I have no way of knowing, but I think it’s a safe bet that Mojo, All Music, Attitude, and PopMatters will be good.  If she can get one great one out of NYT, Chicago Tribune, and Boston Globe and not get overly bad from Consequence and AV Club then she should maintain mid to high seventies score.  Pitchfork will probably be a not great score unless they surprise us.

Is not Madonna sponsoring something from Pitchfork? They have a moral obligation to give a very good rating to her.

I very much hope that Madame X is between 75 and 80

1 hour ago, Lament said:

Variety doesn't count (only their movies reviews count)

Stereogum doesn't count

The LA Times obviously count (and feels like a 40, at most………… terrible and unfair review)

That LA Times review really shouldn't count! Making a review of two albums comparing them? What even? Madame X should have its own review. Two completely different artists, with two differently styles.

1 hour ago, fandonna said:

metacritic now 73 

suck. uncut counts.

la times will make it worse. 

Uncut have Bruce Springsteen album as their header on twitter, so of course they would score Madonna low. Payola wouldn't be too surprising in this case.

39 minutes ago, Shane said:

And for those who care about reviews not counted for Meta, she is likely to get positive from People and USA Weekly.  

People always gives her positive reviews, HC got 4 stars out of 4 from People

5 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

How is that average 73, when the average of the numbers is actually a bit lower than that? Unless some are weighted differently.

You answered it. Some are weighted differently. Which is good.

4 minutes ago, yououghttavogue said:

😭 my heart dropped. I really wanted a high 70s metacritic score. 

this isn't going to be a crowd-pleasing album and it wasn't meant to be. so she's going to get a mix of scores but we should be looking at how many high scores she gets. i bet there will be more than her last three albums. and as long as her overall score remains green (which it will), that's all that matters.

Well her last three were greens, in the 60s. I always think of that as a bad score, a D, but it means generally favorable.

The problem with these reviews is that the best scores, at least those counted for Metacritic, were only 80s. Where even her last three albums had good reviews with higher scores than that.

The reviews for All Music, Attitude, and Mojo are very likely to be good.  If she can get a good one from either Consequence of Sound or The AV Club and possibly the Chicago Tribune, I can see her ending up with a mid to high 70s score which is very good indeed!

5 minutes ago, bardo said:

this isn't going to be a crowd-pleasing album and it wasn't meant to be. so she's going to get a mix of scores but we should be looking at how many high scores she gets. i bet there will be more than her last three albums. and as long as her overall score remains green (which it will), that's all that matters.

👏

1 minute ago, rocknrolla said:

Well her last three were greens, in the 60s. I always think of that as a bad score, a D, but it means generally favorable.

The problem with these reviews is that the best scores, at least those counted for Metacritic, were only 80s. Where even her last three albums had good reviews with higher scores than that.

according to metacritic, rebel heart has five 80's. nothing higher. MDNA has six 80's and one 91. MX already has five 80's and one 90, so i think it will end up higher than those two and probably hard candy. confessions has an overall 80 so that will be hard to beat.

1 hour ago, bardo said:

according to metacritic, rebel heart has five 80's. nothing higher. MDNA has six 80's and one 91. MX already has five 80's and one 90, so i think it will end up higher than those two and probably hard candy. confessions has an overall 80 so that will be hard to beat.

I swore I saw a 100 for mdna maybe I'm crazy!