MADAME X album reviews

Just now, Ai Papi Si. said:

I understand but your post made no sense. There's a plan for what? 

just check the drama thread in the tour forum. anyway, like I said.. no negativity anymore

1 minute ago, Nikki said:

just check the drama thread in the tour forum. anyway, like I said.. no negativity anymore

Alright then :rotfl:

The paranoia on this forum is crazy. You'd think we'd have all learned our lesson after surviving the year of hell (2015)

1 minute ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Alright then :rotfl:

The paranoia on this forum is crazy. You'd think we'd have all learned our lesson after surviving the year of hell (2015)

The plan for foreign interference 

Look at the albums Ray Of Light and Erotica here in the states, hell even The Immaculate Collection, a few of her biggest and best loved only even only made it to #2 on Billboard Albums chart

Just now, Aries said:

Look at the albums Ray Of Light and Erotica here in the states, hell even The Immaculate Collection, a few of her biggest and best loved only even only made it to #2 on Billboard Albums chart

Exactly, not to mention six classic number two singles on the Hot 100.  Number Two is great!  But so is Number One.  Hell she could be Number 36 as long as the album is amazing and I’ll be ok.

Just now, Nikki said:

I asked you kindly to let it go, but you're being a child and going off topic for some attention. Just. STOP.

It wasn't for attention, I'm just trying to get you to loosen up. It's not personal. I'm trying to get you to actually enjoy the ride for once. But I will stop. sorry. 

2 hours ago, Shane said:

I hope you didn’t take my post as snarky.  I was complimenting yours and saying it’s a great argument for me to use when people talk about the charts as well.  Thank you for posting!

Oh not at all. :wink:  I thought you made a good point of applying that to the charts too, which I do (at least at this stage in her career).

On 6/12/2019 at 2:49 AM, Eltacubo said:

Madonna turns ‘secret agent’ with a Latin accent on Madame X Reggaetón meets classical piano and electropop on an eclectic, expansive 14th album Madonna strikes a defiant note with 'Madame X' ©

Since her last truly notable album, 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, Madonna’s records have suffered an uncharacteristic degree of uncertainty. Musical trends have been chased rather than assimilated. She has tried to project both vulnerability and indomitability. The best-selling female performer in pop history has lost her old aura of invincibility and come to seem fallible. Against this backdrop, Madame X strikes a defiant note. “I’ve got the right to choose my own life,” she announces. While it is hard to imagine anyone depriving one of the wealthiest women in US music of that right, at least she exercises it boldly on her 14th album. Although it has a scattershot quality, the scattering is done with a devil-may-care bravado. There is a prominent Latin influence to the music, partly derived from the singer relocating to Lisbon so her son, David, could pursue a football career. Several songs find her singing in Portuguese, and there is the occasional hint of fado amid the contemporary pop production. “Batuka” ditches chart music entirely in favour of a traditional style from the Cape Verde Islands, a former Portuguese colony, in which Madonna and a choir warn of “a storm ahead” over an insistent percussive groove. Other Latin-influenced songs coincide with current pop trends, genres such as reggaetón having crossed over into non-Spanish-speaking markets in recent years. “Medellín” and “Bitch I’m Loca” pair her with Colombian singer Maluma: both achieve an entertaining union between her and his musical worlds. There is a well-worked dancehall flavour to “Future”, in which she is joined by Quavo, a member of rap group Migos, while a duet with another US rapper, Swae Lee, has a sweetly understated feel. The album’s main producer is Mirwais Ahmadzaï, who contributed to Confessions on a Dance Floor and co-produced 2000’s Music and 2003’s American Life. He helms the house-music track “I Don’t Search I Find”, a throwback to the days when Madonna’s musical choices followed a clearer, more certain path. “Dark Ballet”, which Mirwais has also produced, shows how far she has strayed from that path. The song illustrates the confusing concept behind Madame X, whose title, according to Madonna, refers to a multi-dimensional alter ego: “Madame X is a secret agent. Travelling around the world. Changing identities. Fighting for freedom,” and so on. In “Dark Ballet”, this chameleonic character sketch translates into eccentric musical segues between classical piano and Kraftwerk-style electronic pop, with Madonna singing about how “I can dress like a boy, I can dress like a girl”. No, me neither. Trying to be something to everyone has been Madonna’s Achilles heel over the past decade. During the odder moments of Madame X, she actively flaunts that heel, as with the universalising phrases uttered in “Killers Who Are Partying” (“I will be poor if the poor are humiliated . . . I will be Islam if Islam is hated”). These tracks bring a disjointed feel to the album, but also an unfettered and expansive sensibility. That is the “X” factor that elevates it above its immediate predecessors. ★★★☆☆ ‘Madame X’ is released on June 14 on Live Nation/Interscope/Maverick

I agree, this reads more  like 4 stars. Odd they gave it 3!

I’m definitely not keen on these reviewers implying that her post-2005 output has been shit, especially since that couldn’t be further from the truth. Just review the new record without going into some drawn-out theatrics about your personal opinion of her last few albums. Is that hard?

7 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I’m definitely not keen on these reviewers implying that her post-2005 output has been shit, especially since that couldn’t be further from the truth. Just review the new record without going into some drawn-out theatrics about your personal opinion of her last few albums. Is that hard?

👍

1 hour ago, side_streets said:

LA Times  compared and contrasted Madonna and Bruce in the same review and guess who has a better album... 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-bruce-springsteen-western-stars-madonna-madame-x-review-20190613-story.html

🙄🤔

White man reviews and celebrates white man (and I'm a gay white man) sheesh. He's not her target audience. 

I also think Bruce and Madonna have very little in common as artists. He's a legacy act since 1990. 

1 hour ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I understand but your post made no sense. There's a plan for what? 

I think she's referring to the tweet that Springstein's team is purposely feeding the trolls and creating a Bruce V Madonna narrative to trash her, like Janet and Mariah before. It certainly appears that way...in the US...did you see the drudgereport over the last 48 hours. 

Of course it's coordinated. 

12 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

I think she's referring to the tweet that Springstein's team is purposely feeding the trolls and creating a Bruce V Madonna narrative to trash her, like Janet and Mariah before. It certainly appears that way...in the US...did you see the drudgereport over the last 48 hours. 

Of course it's coordinated. 

Sounds really outta character from Bruce

I'd need to see receipts. Drudereport has been harassing Madonna since I was a teenager. That was awhile ago :rotfl:I don't see how it connects to Bruce. But whatever keeps you guys entertained I guess 

Variety doesn't count (only their movies reviews count)

Stereogum doesn't count

The LA Times obviously count (and feels like a 40, at most………… terrible and unfair review)

2 minutes ago, tycole6 said:

Unfortunately I don't think stereogum counts towards Metacritic, which is such a shame. 

It doesn't count. They were really nasty towards Madonna in the past.

It's a good thing to see some recognition from them finally. 

Just now, Lament said:

Variety doesn't count (only their movies reviews count)

Stereogum doesn't count

The LA Times obviously count (and feels like a 40, at most………… terrible and unfair review)

Variety counts for albums! At least according to Metacritic lol

1 hour ago, side_streets said:

One of the best reviews so far. The writer really gets the point and he reviews the music  without talking about  how appropriate she is now or not. Love the little comparison to David Bowie in terms of the experimental side of the album.

One thing is certain Madonna is back!

She is the only person on earth that can generate this

level of hypocrisy..sexism...ageism...contradictory statements all in the same paragraph.

28 minutes ago, fandonna said:

Hot Press, Variety will be counted.

they are both positive (right?) but i have no idea abou scores.

hot press apparently doesn't count anymore. they wasn't count on marina's love + fear