MADAME X album reviews

1 hour ago, TXIII said:

Why would they review it twice? Do they both count towards Meta?

1 hour ago, stevo208 said:

Why 2 reviews from the Guardian? It's THAT good?

This one is technically for The Observer which is a sister paper of The Guardian, published on Sundays. 

Just now, karbatal said:

Didn't The Guardian already review the album? I'm lost.

The new review from The Guardian is actually from The Observer, which is the sister Sunday paper. So although they are from the same company they are  different papers with totally different editorial staff 

Just now, Mr Ciccone said:

This one is technically for The Observer which is a sister paper of The Guardian, published on Sundays. 

Oh ok. Don't you guys feel that the more the positive reviews come the more openly positive are the new ones? It's as if they were embarrassed before of loving the album.

8 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I will slap the next Debbie Downer that predicts a bad review from Pitchwork instead of celebrating the already released good ones.

lol

11 minutes ago, Mr Ciccone said:

Thank you for clarifying for me! 

50 minutes ago, alcermag said:

NEW REVIEW BY THE GUARDIAN (out today, june 8, 4/5 stars)

Madonna: Madame X review – a splendidly bizarre return to form

This is how you review an album. Not mention of her age, no simplistic digs at her other work, no questioning of her artistry... It's just about the music. 

After the backlash of the previous review because of how personal it was and how much it focused on her age, Guardian editors probably decided it would be good to get a female reviewer reviewing the album... And the result, it's a totally honest analytical review of the music.

And you know why? Because the album is that good! 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

4 hours ago, Samo said:

I think and hope you're right, unfortunately  unlike Like a Prayer or Ray of Light, the general public won't be aware of it or even that she still makes new music.  The PR campaign has been "rough" at best.  The PR campaign for Rebel Heart was much better and none of the GP is aware of that album

Madame X should be everywhere, talk show spots playing different characters, Netflix special, major fashion magazine covers etc 

@Samo, I get your point, but I disagree, and ultimately I couldn't care less about the GP, who are the first to jump on her and accuse her of the most awful things at every opportunity. Art and creativity stand the test of time, and this record is just further cementing Madonna's place in music history books as a unique legend and creative force.

Of course I would want for people to know Madonna has a new record out, for people to recognise how amazing the music she is creating almost 40 years into her career is, but at the end of the day, all it matters are the fans, those who have been with her in the good and bad moments, those who stand by her when she is unjustly attacked or vilified, those who hold Madonna deeply in their hearts, those who truly 'get' Madonna, who she is, what she stands for, and what she represents to all of us. 

Madonna has been releasing music for 4 decades, and despite many challenges put in front of her, she always comes out stronger. Even at this stage in her career, she remains a talking point in cultural discourse, and will continue to until she wishes to stop. 

Finally, as for the PR campaign which you called 'rough', I couldn't disagree more. In no way the campaign for RH was better - just different - and to make a statement like 'none of the GP is aware of the album' is just not true, otherwise you wouldn't see articles and articles coming out in the press about Madonna and everything she said and did since the album campaign started. People know, and those who care about her, will go and buy the music.

Everything in this era has been perfect, and much better than what many of the 20 something hip and trendy pop girls of today have been doing. Although more exposure is always good, as I love to see Madonna at every chance I get, I don't see that as something which impacts my appreciation of her music in any way.

So my overall response to what you said is that maybe you should focus more on your own appreciation of the music, and not on what she should be doing, how she should be doing it, and what others think of her.

1 hour ago, headonfire said:

@Samo, I get your point, but I disagree, and ultimately I couldn't care less about the GP, who are the first to jump on her and accuse her of the most awful things at every opportunity. Art and creativity stand the test of time, and this record is just further cementing Madonna's place in music history books as a unique legend and creative force.

Of course I would want for people to know Madonna has a new record out, for people to recognise how amazing the music she is creating almost 40 years into her career is, but at the end of the day, all it matters are the fans, those who have been with her in the good and bad moments, those who stand by her when she is unjustly attacked or vilified, those who hold Madonna deeply in their hearts, those who truly 'get' Madonna, who she is, what she stands for, and what she represents to all of us. 

Madonna has been releasing music for 4 decades, and despite many challenges put in front of her, she always comes out stronger. Even at this stage in her career, she remains a talking point in cultural discourse, and will continue to until she wishes to stop. 

Finally, as for the PR campaign which you called 'rough', I couldn't disagree more. In no way the campaign for RH was better - just different - and to make a statement like 'none of the GP is aware of the album' is just not true, otherwise you wouldn't see articles and articles coming out in the press about Madonna and everything she said and did since the album campaign started. People know, and those who care about her, will go and buy the music.

Everything in this era has been perfect, and much better than what many of the 20 something hip and trendy pop girls of today have been doing. Although more exposure is always good, as I love to see Madonna at every chance I get, I don't see that as something which impacts my appreciation of her music in any way.

So my overall response to what you said is that maybe you should focus more on your own appreciation of the music, and not on what she should be doing, how she should be doing it, and what others think of her.

Ask 10 random people on the street if they know that Madonna has a new Album coming out and I guarantee you not a single one would say yes.  Most would be like "she still makes music"

The last era in the US the GP was aware of was Hard Candy, EVERYONE at work talked about 4 Minutes and Justin and Madonna, radio play is SO SO vital

I haven't had a single person at work come up to me and mention Madonna's nee album and everyone knows I'm a huge fan, they're just unaware of it

17 minutes ago, Samo said:

Ask 10 random people on the street if they know that Madonna has a new Album coming out and I guarantee you not a single one would say yes.  Most would be like "she still makes music"

The last era in the US the GP was aware of was Hard Candy, EVERYONE at work talked about 4 Minutes and Justin and Madonna, radio play is SO SO vital

I haven't had a single person at work come up to me and mention Madonna's nee album and everyone knows I'm a huge fan, they're just unaware of it

you are talking about an album released 10 years before and a single that featured justin timberlake ,the ''it'' pop star back in the day 

For those who care about acclaim, at this point, it seems safe to say the album is a critical success.  Unless every single US publication trashes it which seems highly unlikely.

Its likely that Lucy O’Brien will give her a good review in Mojo, and People and USA Today almost always review Madonna favorably.  As does All Music Guide.

Hopefully at least one of New York Times, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, and Boston Globe will be glowing, and hopefully none of the four trashes the album.

Then there is the matter of the online publications like Slant, Pitchfork, The AV Club, Pop Matters, and Consequence of Sound.

So far the reviews are leaning very good to great.

1 hour ago, Samo said:

bla bla bla :doh:

Just now, rocknrolla said:

So I never would have known Bruce had an album out either, I used to be a casual fan

Exactly ,times have changed

2 hours ago, Samo said:

neither do people know that Ariana released an album, let's be real, it's not the 90s anymore

1 hour ago, Shane said:

For those who care about acclaim, at this point, it seems safe to say the album is a critical success.  Unless every single US publication trashes it which seems highly unlikely.

Its likely that Lucy O’Brien will give her a good review in Mojo, and People and USA Today almost always review Madonna favorably.  As does All Music Guide.

Hopefully at least one of New York Times, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, and Boston Globe will be glowing, and hopefully none of the four trashes the album.

Then there is the matter of the online publications like Slant, Pitchfork, The AV Club, Pop Matters, and Consequence of Sound.

So far the reviews are leaning very good to great.

The album is fucking great and deserves all the glowing reviews it and it will get them from US too

2 hours ago, Samo said:

Ok gurrrl

40 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

The album is fucking great and deserves all the glowing reviews it and it will get them from US too

Yup, I like what I heard so far.  A lot

2 hours ago, Samo said:

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Samo said:

Well I walked out of a random underground stop in East London today (West Ham) & right infront of the escalator was a huge poster of the blonde ‘handmaiden’ album cover (which I plan on going back to steal after midnight🤣)...so if I had asked 10 random strangers getting off at that station I guess they would know!