“Dark Ballet” thread

3 hours ago, juliebean said:

OMG. could we be getting dark ballet remixes? 

That's what I'm wondering. Yes, it's the same old sound but it might mean we get something good.

Mind you, we're still waiting on that crave mix!

6 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Not sure if this is an official mix

This is just the worst. Offensive to mistreat the unique ‘Dark Ballet’ to such generic shit. I know a lot of her fans are gay and everything but some of us do have taste you know!

12 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

This is just the worst. Offensive to mistreat the unique ‘Dark Ballet’ to such generic shit. I know a lot of her fans are gay and everything but some of us do have taste you know!

This.

That remix is pointless. Atrocity.

12 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

The fact the song is remixed. :megamanson:

17 hours ago, jonski43 said:

That's what I'm wondering. Yes, it's the same old sound but it might mean we get something good.

Mind you, we're still waiting on that crave mix!

i say we get remixes from every song. LOL yea. UGH Madonna teased that Crave remixes ages ago. I WANT REMIXES. 

1 hour ago, idro said:

A masterpiece , so good 

Yes yes yes! It gives me chills!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, Morrigan said:

Just heard this in the gyym!!! !!

:confused: of ALL MX songs, this isn't the one I'd expect to hear at the gym :lol:

BUT at least it's getting some play!! 🥳 :lol: 🙌

On 6/6/2019 at 9:22 PM, svperstar said:

The song itself was interesting enough, but the video takes it INTO FUCKING ORBIT.

Jesus, THIS is the Madonna we dont deserve. The artist and conceptualist before the pop performer. And she does it better than anyone.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, toujours said:

mon Dieu!

"dark ballet" a masterwork in short horror film. malevolence pervade its visual and aural orchestration. for the less perceptive, the video might even contain "demonic" elements. 

but the messaging is very clear...

omnipresent to this day are the religious, political, cultural, and social inquisition of people in the fringes and margins. the dark ages never came to past but was tempered only by science and modernization. prejudice lurks in the minds and hearts of those who refuse to step beyond their bubbles, towers and zones.

the divide remains. the battlefields are still there. people might have discovered cures for epidemics. but none yet for today's pandemic disease of rage and ignorance that are magnified by mass media and digital technology.

and yet like cascading water, the vulnerable will continue forging a path for their redemption. orders and systems be damned.   

triumphantly, emmanuel and madonna have realized their artistic vision. they found a brilliant conduit in mykko. surrounded by a lovely cast of actors, he personifies the persecuted lot of this world that soldier on. and the third person narration of madonna, more heard and little seen, give more focus on the film's message. 

"dark ballet" is a fine addition to Madonna's exceptional videography. 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, alexis said:

This video is absolutely stunning and it's breathtaking from start to finish. I must say that I admire the fact that she decided to back away from being the leading character in this video. She chose a queer POC to represent the opressão made by religion in our society and the pain that reflects upon minorities due to the prevalence of patriarcal values. She truly came to make a BIG statement with this video and song. It really made me think of how important and necessary her activism has been through all these  years and how she refuses to shut up while defending human rights. Once more, I'm so proud to call her my queen and to be part of her fandom. There's only one Queen and it's Madonna, bitch.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:12 AM, paradise said:

Whilst other gay 'icons' are releasing cheesey christmas albums, generic jazz standards and abba covers my queen is putting out quality work like this..the general public might not care but as a fan i feel spoilt 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, Wunderkind said:

Remember that RS review of LAP, where it said “this is as close to art as pop music gets”? I think she’s gotten even closer with this track, especially combined with the amazing video. Using the story and fate of Joan of Arc to describe the fucked up state of today’s world, the discrimination, hatred, bigotry and closed mindedness is just brilliant.  Releasing something so bold, weird, dark and unusual is a big fuck you to the world of those that claim she’s not relevant or creative be anymore. Who else but Madonna would dare this, so far into her career? Nobody. The haters need to take several seats and re-evaluate their contempt for her. She’s the Queen. Period. 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, headonfire said:

I'm completely in awe of this song and video. The song is so different, weird, and sonically experimental, nothing like anything ever produced. If someone ever says that Madonna is chasing trends, just play them Dark Ballet, because this song is IT, and shows the genius and creative force of this woman almost 40 years into her career.

As I listen to the song, I got all these different emotions running through me, like an emotional journey of sorts.

As for the video, it is absolutely stunning. The story, cinematography, light, colours, everything produces this unique feel that just complements the song. For me, one of the most significant things in the video is also the placing of Joan of Arc's quote and the start and Mikki's at the end, which produces this poetic parallel between the pain and suffering experienced by Joan of Arc in the 15th century because she was seen as 'Other', the same way that a black queer HIV+ man is seen as 'Other' in the 21st century. To make this happen, Madonna takes a step back in her own video, to place at the centre someone who represents those who are most ostracised in our society -- a person of colour, a queer person, an HIV+ person!

THIS IS ART. ART WITH MEANING. ART WHICH PUSHES BOUNDARIES. ART THAT PUSHES FOR CHANGE. AND MADONNA IS ALL OF IT! MADONNA IS ART.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:17 PM, Shane said:

To me, Dark Ballet is a supreme work of art. Madonna begins this song as a pop ballad, singing thoughtful lyrics about the superficial nature of the world over beautiful piano. Her voice is clear, but somewhat raspy with the weight of the world. The melody sounds like classic Madonna. In the second verse, an electronic beat joins the piano, giving us a juxtaposition of classical and modern. Madonna continues to sing this melodic song, and suddenly she is abruptly cut off by the piano solo and the interpolation from The Nutcracker. This is jarring as the best art pop can be. As we enter the second movement, we hear frantic demonic vocals by Madonna that put us into Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush territory.  There is a slight feeling of foreboding. After this segment, we return to Madonna’s normal voice for the poetic spoken word passage that is haunting but in a less creepy manner than the middle passage. These lyrics I find to be the most moving of the song although they would be an utter disaster delivered by many other singers. Her voice in this section is her classic voice, but smoother than in the sung vocals from part one.  She blows like the howling wind, and then we are treated to more piano, this time somewhat sorrowful in tone. Dark Ballet has taken us from defiance to sinister to poetic to sorrowful. As Madonna comes in for one final sung line “it’s a beautiful life,” we have come full circle back to the beginning of the song. Her delivery here, over the now quite somber piano, breaks my heart and stands as one of the saddest moments in her history of song. What brilliance to deliver such an optimistic lyric in a melancholy fashion. The journey of Dark Ballet is now complete although that of Madame X is just beginning. 

This is high art.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:29 PM, IsaacHarris said:

This is ART.

PERIOD

All the above deserved a quote. I know I'm late on the subject, but after letting the song and the video sit with me, I'm just astounded at the level of artistry she's pulling off with this project...at this point in her career.

All the videos of this era are literally some of the best of her career, and certainly God Control is Madonna at her best...but this is the one I keep coming back to. Even with only a couple shots of her in the video, the entire visual narrative is just drenched in quintessential "Madonna". And stepping back and putting an openly queer, black, HIV+ artist at the forefront is one hell of a move. Any one out there that comes for her 'making everything all about herself' or some sort of appropriation shit can truly STFU from now on. And talk about political...this just may be her most truly political statement of not only this record, but of all her work. It's deeply layered, and points the finger right at the corruption, hypocrisy, and oppression by the ruling institutions of society. Got more balls than anyone, esp. right now.

This video is proof she's on another level than any of her peers past or present.

@VogueMusic This video deserves all the accolades it has been getting. To highlight the video's message, Madonna the Celebrity prudently takes a backseat to Madonna the Artist and Activist.

Edited by toujours

On 7/29/2019 at 6:08 AM, side_streets said:

This.

That remix is pointless. Atrocity.

Too low quality to really make that assessment really.  I hear potential.  

• 3 weeks later...

Madonna got a nom for ‘Dark Ballet’ video in the UK music video awards, and she’s going versus:

Best Pop video - International:
Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
Madonna - Dark Ballet 
Rosalía - Aute Cuture
Rosalía - De Aquí No Sales
Sigrid - Sucker Punch
Tove Lo - Glad He’s Gone

the ceremony is on October 23th.

https://www.musicweek.com/media/read/uk-music-video-awards-2019-nominations-revealed/077558

12 hours ago, Iconic Fetus said:

Madonna got a nom for ‘Dark Ballet’ video in the UK music video awards, and she’s going versus:

Best Pop video - International:
Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
Madonna - Dark Ballet 
Rosalía - Aute Cuture
Rosalía - De Aquí No Sales
Sigrid - Sucker Punch
Tove Lo - Glad He’s Gone

the ceremony is on October 23th.

https://www.musicweek.com/media/read/uk-music-video-awards-2019-nominations-revealed/077558

Nice little nom! I wonder if she will be nominated for any Brit Awards or make an appearance at the 2020 show as she will be in London!