“Dark Ballet” thread

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

To me, Dark Ballet is a supreme work of art. Madonna begins this song as a pop ballad, singing thoughtful lyrics about the superficial nature of the world over beautiful piano. Her voice is clear, but somewhat raspy with the weight of the world. The melody sounds like classic Madonna. In the second verse, an electronic beat joins the piano, giving us a juxtaposition of classical and modern. Madonna continues to sing this melodic song, and suddenly she is abruptly cut off by the piano solo and the interpolation from The Nutcracker. This is jarring as the best art pop can be. As we enter the second movement, we hear frantic demonic vocals by Madonna that put us into Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush territory.  There is a slight feeling of foreboding. After this segment, we return to Madonna’s normal voice for the poetic spoken word passage that is haunting but in a less creepy manner than the middle passage. These lyrics I find to be the most moving of the song although they would be an utter disaster delivered by many other singers. Her voice in this section is her classic voice, but smoother than in the sung vocals from part one.  She blows like the howling wind, and then we are treated to more piano, this time somewhat sorrowful in tone. Dark Ballet has taken us from defiance to sinister to poetic to sorrowful. As Madonna comes in for one final sung line “it’s a beautiful life,” we have come full circle back to the beginning of the song. Her delivery here, over the now quite somber piano, breaks my heart and stands as one of the saddest moments in her history of song. What brilliance to deliver such an optimistic lyric in a melancholy fashion. The journey of Dark Ballet is now complete although that of Madame X is just beginning. 

This is high art.

:clap:

LOVE THIS!! 

9 minutes ago, Shane said:

To me, Dark Ballet is a supreme work of art. Madonna begins this song as a pop ballad, singing thoughtful lyrics about the superficial nature of the world over beautiful piano. Her voice is clear, but somewhat raspy with the weight of the world. The melody sounds like classic Madonna. In the second verse, an electronic beat joins the piano, giving us a juxtaposition of classical and modern. Madonna continues to sing this melodic song, and suddenly she is abruptly cut off by the piano solo and the interpolation from The Nutcracker. This is jarring as the best art pop can be. As we enter the second movement, we hear frantic demonic vocals by Madonna that put us into Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush territory.  There is a slight feeling of foreboding. After this segment, we return to Madonna’s normal voice for the poetic spoken word passage that is haunting but in a less creepy manner than the middle passage. These lyrics I find to be the most moving of the song although they would be an utter disaster delivered by many other singers. Her voice in this section is her classic voice, but smoother than in the sung vocals from part one.  She blows like the howling wind, and then we are treated to more piano, this time somewhat sorrowful in tone. Dark Ballet has taken us from defiance to sinister to poetic to sorrowful. As Madonna comes in for one final sung line “it’s a beautiful life,” we have come full circle back to the beginning of the song. Her delivery here, over the now quite somber piano, breaks my heart and stands as one of the saddest moments in her history of song. What brilliance to deliver such an optimistic lyric in a melancholy fashion. The journey of Dark Ballet is now complete although that of Madame X is just beginning. 

This is high art.

Agreed 100% word for word.

23 minutes ago, Shane said:

This is high art.

Wonderfully stated. 

ok.About the video: is so good that it seems one of her back videos from her concerts, which, in the last decade, have been way better than the regular music videos. This is pure madonna, and even if she only appears ion a few seconds, she is everuwhere all the time.

the song: I have the feeling that this is the song she would have released as lead single if we were in 2003.Again, pure madonna.

3 hours ago, lasky said:

I wrote this on Youtube: Very very thought provoking piece of work! Break free of incarceration and condemnation of thyself! Groundbreaking, provocative cinematic and religious all at the same time. You will need time to digest. 

ps: I kept thinking about the Woman in Black (2012) movie starring "Harry Potter"  Daniel Radcliff - the image of the woman in black is exactly the same as Madonna's character.... which was a angst, hellish character.... btw, ifyou like gothic and horror movies, its a great one over the weekend!

The actresses are very good and indeed remind me of a horror movie (in the best way).

Reviews of the song and video

Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/madonna-dark-ballet-video-mykki-blanco-watch-845525/

The cinematic clip stars Mykki Blanco, who portrays Joan of Arc.

In the visually arresting Emmanuel Adjei-directed video, Mykki Blanco is seen bravely facing adversity from various religious figures and onlookers and dancing despite the impending, inescapable doom to come.

NME: https://www.nme.com/news/music/watch-madonnas-stunning-dark-ballet-video-starring-mykki-blanco-2505545

Stunning.

Madonna has released new single ‘Dark Ballet’ – complete with an epic six-minute video starring Mykki Blanco as Joan Of Arc.

The Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/madonna-dark-ballet-video-mykki-blanco-joan-of-arc-madame-x-album-release-date-a8948606.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1559907402

Madonna shares powerful 'Dark Ballet' video starring Mykki Blanco as Joan of Arc.

Madonna has released a stunning video for “Dark Ballet”, the fifth and final single from her forthcoming album Madame X. 

The clip closes with a powerful spoken-word segment from Blanco: “I have walked this earth, Black, Queer and HIV positive, but no transgression against me has been as powerful as the hope I hold within.”

MTV: http://www.mtv.com/news/3126635/madonna-dark-ballet-joan-of-arc-video/

Madonna's new video for "Dark Ballet" is as bold and artistic as they come. We're shown the haunting burning from multiple angles, the last finding Blanco's Joan smiling. The video is powerful.

GayTimes: https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/culture/123070/madonnas-new-religious-themed-dark-ballet-music-video-is-a-masterpiece/

A masterpiece. Madonna has released her powerful music video for new single Dark Ballet.

Dazed: https://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/44760/1/see-mykki-blanco-as-joan-of-arc-in-madonna-s-dark-ballet-video

In the stark, religiously-charged visual, directed by Emmanuel Adjei, Mykki Blanco plays Joan of Arc. 

The video see Mykki square off with religious figures in church settings, dancing and interpreting Madonna’s stark, reflective lyrics before the inevitable burning at the stake. Madge appears underneath a black veil, contemplative.

Idolator: http://www.idolator.com/7794749/madonna-dark-ballet-review?view-all&safari=1&chrome=1

“Dark Ballet” is Madonna’s most experimental single yet.

And yet, they still don’t portend the demented grandeur of “Dark Ballet.” Co-produced with Mirwais, the song that was first performed as “Beautiful Game” at the 2018 Met Gala is a sprawling indictment of modern society. 

It’s time to accept that the Queen of Pop’s days of chasing hits are over. She’s now doing whatever the **** she wants and it sounds amazing.

CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/07/entertainment/madonna-dark-ballet-music-video/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2y2-VNGJAAgLqyZAEs0VLp8aPIL1csTgKRQ02JpgylzK2--l_3tkGEgyc

Madonna’s latest music video — for a song called “Dark Ballet” — evokes religious images and symbols reminiscent of her controversial music videos from the 80s and 90s.

The intense new music video the artist released is for a single off her upcoming album, “Madame X.”

"Dark Ballet" is fresh proof that Madonna has never been afraid to push the limits.

I've watched this video 27 times today. I have sobbed. I have related. This is pure fire!  Just when I thought she couldnt WOW me anymore.....Dark Ballet happened.

What a statement.  What a time to say it!  This is pure perfection.   

42 minutes ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

By the way, how crazy is it that we've had 3 music videos and the album isn't even out yet?

and how great it is!!!!!🤩

11 minutes ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

And my bad if this has been discussed, but are the twins making some of the blowing noises at the end of the track? Some of the breaths sound like those of a child?

It’s sounds like them. 

Cant stop watching this one, just amazing. I still think the vocal distortion in the crazy part is effective but too much, its not understandable and its the kind of song you want to understand the message. Other than that its just the Madonna l love

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

The actresses are very good and indeed remind me of a horror movie (in the best way).

Yes, I love that movie.... Mr Potter was quite good in it too!

Just now, Shane said:

This is high art.

more please. 

It's a majestic piece of work . Am so proud of her ! 

If Crave was her attempt at getting radio play Dark Ballet is a big FU to the radio.

It's lead single material .My favourite track from the album .

I’m very proud of her too for releasing something so uncompromising. The video is stunning and devastating at the same time, and it has such a powerful message of redemption. I watched it with bated breath. I agree that Madonna feels present all the time even though you can’t see her, her fierceness just permeates everything and you really can see that she was in charge of making this as Mykki Blanco said. There’s so much anger and sadness and strength in the song and the video – pure Madonna indeed. I also love the references to the Blond Ambition era when she was also fighting all the preaching papas of the world. 

7 hours ago, promise to try said:

ok.About the video: is so good that it seems one of her back videos from her concerts, which, in the last decade, have been way better than the regular music videos. This is pure madonna, and even if she only appears ion a few seconds, she is everywhere all the time.

the song: I have the feeling that this is the song she would have released as lead single if we were in 2003.Again, pure madonna.

Agree 100% 

We're not worthy 😭 Thank you M

2 hours ago, Eltacubo said:

It was her!!!

she must be showing more of these shots in the future

99CF9E5F-9ECC-4AEE-97DF-1D18DB16617D.png

D9CFA392-7413-4357-8786-82C81E650224.png

We need more visuals of the headpiece and dress! She seems to have shot so much footage.

we have had 3 videos now before the album release-never has she done this before!

I think we have at least 2 more new videos to be seen yet

3 hours ago, Butter9 said:

If Crave was her attempt at getting radio play Dark Ballet is a big FU to the radio.

M is a real artistic genius. I’m very proud of her and can’t wait to get the album in my hands very soon!

3 hours ago, Butter9 said:

Yes Idolater review as posted above best line....

EFB32E54-CE58-46C7-93D6-930FDDFAF656.jpeg