Madonna for New York Times Mag (Madonna NOT happy)

It isn't an interview. It’s a journalistic reflection on Madonna at 60, both in how she is perceived, how she chooses to be perceived, and the chasm that exists between the two. I found it jarring that everything was written in past tense, but realized afterwards that this was a stylistic choice to emphasize the piece as a historical one. Madonna isn’t interested in being relatable, and yet the journalist manufactured her entire gauge of her subject based upon how she makes her feel. Ultimately it is a journalistic fail, but a fascinatingly revealing one nonetheless. She should have chatted with Ruby Wax before taking on such a rare opportunity fearfully and blindly!

Most of us realized, as we aged, that we couldn’t make the puzzle pieces of our lives fit and made peace with that. Madonna kept reaching into the past to discover more and more about herself. There was no one truth, only the deepening of your own understanding. At one point, she said to me rhetorically: “What is the truth? Your truth when you’re 18 is not going to be your truth when you’re 28 or when you’re 38. Life is not black and white. It’s gray, and one minute you’re going to feel so strongly and believe in something so strongly, and then maybe you won’t in five years.”

This was the most relatable part to me, and the one that seemed most revealing about both Madonna and the journalist. It contains clues as to why Madonna is so elusive, timeless and also sometimes unpopular; to relate to her means to feel in awe and in the shadow of her work ethic and her insatiable curiosity about life. It means you have to work harder. You can’t be lazy, or regurgitate. You will have to feel your way through inadequacy, and that’s not what the modern consumerist-friendly entertainment world is about. I love that Madonna is unfocused on this. It would be great if those who measure the success of her accomplishments by chart positions, positive reinforcement and critical validation could truly reflect upon this and also let that go once and for all.

Edited by Herfaceremains

In love with that photoshoot. :inlove: 

The article was a good read.

Incredible article. I can tell you, as a journalist, that she made an incredible work mixing quotes, her opinion and detailing everything around her moments with M. You could imagine being in that room with her.

A very balanced article from an obvious fan.  It kind of summarized the feelings of many who have her followed her throughout her career.

3 hours ago, Ven Conmigo said:

Love the photoshoot she did for this. It’s like those then and now collage fan edits on Instagram come to life! The rooftop one is beyond amazing!

C73FA62D-771D-4EBB-8069-B891C8197FD6.jpeg

B651FAA8-0C25-4BA3-854D-CC61B22970AF.jpeg

B13EDD3E-AA13-4701-9F0B-6ABE215C1EA6.jpeg

Fabulous!!

1 hour ago, Flip The Switch said:

June 9.

10EC6135-76F2-43A2-A9BF-7ECB6AB4F5FB.jpeg

DAA3B7E1-D9A3-45E3-94E7-1EC4279D406F.jpeg

I'm so getting this publication too

Got British Vogue and TETU already

Loved reading the article

And I love every time a journalist describes one of her houses. I think RS 2009 was also featuring an interview where the writer turned up at her London residence. She's always had great taste and a freshness and an aura about herself. You almost feel like you are there too thanks to the interviewer. And I love Marni

Wondering what this VF Italia shoot is going to look like

Wow!! Everything about the article + pics is beautiful. I think this journalist did Madonna very well!! 

Been a while since we've had something quite like this. Makes me love her even more!

The pics are fantastic, what a great idea! As for the article - it is definitely well written und mostly interesting but at the same time I was craving for more quotes from the actual interview. The way it is written it seems like the interview went on for 6 minutes only.

1 hour ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

anyone else crying over these pics???

what a journey

and it's NOT over yet

the picture of her hugging her younger self had me very moved

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
8 hours ago, karbatal said:

What a weird article. It's very positive and that's good, of course, but there's too much reminiscing about other conversations and very little about the real interview. It's as if the journalist had lost the tape with the interview and had to come up with something. 

I kinda thought the same as you at first.  It does seem to be a bit all over the place.  Then as someone else pointed out, I see it as more of a "reflection" of whom Madonna is, rather an interview. 

Still, it was enjoyable to read.  And the pics are to die for.   Just wish there was more conversation from Madonna. 

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
10 minutes ago, dubtronic said:

Love that they used little photoshop ! 

B6400D9C-8921-4188-9055-392D174E31BF.png5939BBCB-204F-4F02-BC84-F075E4F2FA38.pngB59E9E40-1689-461A-9D14-21BBD50EE4AE.jpeg

Oh, I just realized she brought back the beauty mark for this shoot too.  Wow!!  I'm loving everything so far from this era.

7 hours ago, Herfaceremains said:

It isn't an interview. It’s a journalistic reflection on Madonna at 60, both in how she is perceived, how she chooses to be perceived, and the chasm that exists between the two. I found it jarring that everything was written in past tense, but realized afterwards that this was a stylistic choice to emphasize the piece as a historical one. Madonna isn’t interested in being relatable, and yet the journalist manufactured her entire gauge of her subject based upon how she makes her feel. Ultimately it is a journalistic fail, but a fascinatingly revealing one nonetheless. She should have chatted with Ruby Wax before taking on such a rare opportunity fearfully and blindly!

Most of us realized, as we aged, that we couldn’t make the puzzle pieces of our lives fit and made peace with that. Madonna kept reaching into the past to discover more and more about herself. There was no one truth, only the deepening of your own understanding. At one point, she said to me rhetorically: “What is the truth? Your truth when you’re 18 is not going to be your truth when you’re 28 or when you’re 38. Life is not black and white. It’s gray, and one minute you’re going to feel so strongly and believe in something so strongly, and then maybe you won’t in five years.”

This was the most relatable part to me, and the one that seemed most revealing about both Madonna and the journalist. It contains clues as to why Madonna is so elusive, timeless and also sometimes unpopular; to relate to her means to feel in awe and in the shadow of her work ethic and her insatiable curiosity about life. It means you have to work harder. You can’t be lazy, or regurgitate. You will have to feel your way through inadequacy, and that’s not what the modern consumerist-friendly entertainment world is about. I love that Madonna is unfocused on this. It would be great if those who measure the success of her accomplishments by chart positions, positive reinforcement and critical validation could truly reflect upon this and also let that go once and for all.

Amazing quotes!

AMAZING!! Thank you very much @Nikki!! Such a delightful read, great insight into her life, her views on certain topics, with the added bonus of beautifully conceived photo shoots, present and past Madonna together, WOW!

I am happy!

giphy.gif