MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

"Madame X is a complex, pressing, syncopated, albeit too homogeneous at times album, although there are so many interesting stylistic variations and twists and turns that materialize when you least expect it. But most of all you have the greatest twist ever: the rebirth of an icon who is the same yet anew at the same time. My hat's off to her"

This is great and all, but “many stylistic variations/twists” is the complete opposite of homogeneous. 

Amazing praise though, this album really seems like it will be one of her many masterpieces.

4 minutes ago, Simo9jo said:

"Madame X is a complex, pressing, syncopated, albeit too homogeneous at times album, although there are so many interesting stylistic variations and twists and turns that materialize when you least expect it. But most of all you have the greatest twist ever: the rebirth of an icon who is the same yet anew at the same time. My hat's off to her"

This is great and all, but “many stylistic variations/twists” is the complete opposite of homogeneous. 

Amazing praise though, this album really seems like it will be one of her many masterpieces.

Great!

Edited by OhFather

5 hours ago, Msig said:

MadonnaTribe reports that the Italian press was invited to listen to Madame X yesterday, and their reviews have started appearing:

Vanity Fair Italia: Very positive. The reviewer says that not everyone is gonna like it.

Rockol: Mixed. The reviewers seems most impressed by "Come Alive" and "Faz Gostoso".

Il Manifesto: Very positive.

Ansa: Rather objective/neutral in its descriptions of the songs, but feels generally favourable.

La Presse: Very positive. The reviewer describes  "Dark Ballet" and "Extreme Occident" as 'successful experiments', and mentions "Killers Who Are Partying" as a highlight.

Paolo Giordano: Very positive. He mentions "Batuka" as one of the best songs on the album. 

Pickline: Mixed. "Crave", "Crazy", "I Rise", "God Control" and Faz Gostoso" are mentioned as highlights.

GingerGeneration: Generally favourable. The reviewer seems most impressed by "I Don't Search I Find", "Killers Who Are Partying", "Bitch I'm Loca" and"Faz Gostoso".

Thanks for this info Msig! 

5 hours ago, Msig said:

MadonnaTribe reports that the Italian press was invited to listen to Madame X yesterday, and their reviews have started appearing:

Vanity Fair Italia: Very positive. The reviewer says that not everyone is gonna like it.

Rockol: Mixed. The reviewers seems most impressed by "Come Alive" and "Faz Gostoso".

Il Manifesto: Very positive.

Ansa: Rather objective/neutral in its descriptions of the songs, but feels generally favourable.

La Presse: Very positive. The reviewer describes  "Dark Ballet" and "Extreme Occident" as 'successful experiments', and mentions "Killers Who Are Partying" as a highlight.

Paolo Giordano: Very positive. He mentions "Batuka" as one of the best songs on the album. 

Pickline: Mixed. "Crave", "Crazy", "I Rise", "God Control" and Faz Gostoso" are mentioned as highlights.

GingerGeneration: Generally favourable. The reviewer seems most impressed by "I Don't Search I Find", "Killers Who Are Partying", "Bitch I'm Loca" and"Faz Gostoso".

👏👏

1 minute ago, rebelgirl said:

👏👏

Almost every single song on the album has been mentioned at least once as a highlight!  Amazing!

21 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Actually, no. Madonna is the most successful female artist on the German charts. That’s a fact  

How about criticizing those idiot journalists and not putting down a country?

It was a joke. Ugh 

27 minutes ago, Simo9jo said:

Paolo Giordano seems very trusting and sincere with this. 

2 hours ago, side_streets said:

Fantastico!!! 

:thumbsup:  indeed

Vanity Fair Italia   "One of her most complex, experimental and fascinating works to date. There are so many "reassuring" pop singers with a discography made of albums you cannot tell apart, pop singers who play it safe all the time, that was never the case with Madonna and this latest work of hers is a confirmation of one of her trademarks"

2 minutes ago, XXL said:

Vanity Fair Italia   "One of her most complex, experimental and fascinating works to date. There are so many "reassuring" pop singers with a discography made of albums you cannot tell apart, pop singers who play it safe all the time, that was never the case with Madonna and this latest work of hers is a confirmation of one of her trademarks"

This paragraph is PERFECT! 

3 minutes ago, XXL said:

La critica musicale italiana ama Madame X. ❤️❤️

Dark Ballet  

It combines opera sounds with pop, piano and electronic beats, it features a Broadwayesque Madonna

God Control

It starts off as the LAP for the new millennium then veers into disco dance territory in the second half of the song which makes you instantly want to get up and dance

Batuka

Another U turn for La Ciccone, tribal chantings (which in a more solar incarnation can be found in Come Alive) as the base for the song ending up in a viola accompaniment

2 minutes ago, XXL said:

Dark Ballet  

It combines opera sounds with pop, piano and electronic beats, it features a Broadwayesque Madonna

God Control

It starts off as the LAP for the new millennium then veers into disco dance territory in the second half of the song which makes you instantly want to get up and dance

Batuka

Another U turn for La Ciccone, tribal chantings (which in a more solar incarnation can be found in Come Alive) as the base for the song ending up in a viola accompaniment

More where this came from?  OMG at God Control and  Batuka descriptions!

1 hour ago, Iconic Fetus said:

Makes sense that Italy is happy with the album but Germany seems to hate it.

It all comes down to the fact that this record will cater more to Latin audiences and romances languages, so Latin America, Spain, Portugal, Italy and maybe France.

Not really

Trust me, as an Italian I can tell you we have our fair share of articles that are often dismissive of hers. It's just the the German media has taken a predominantly biased route about her for over a decade. That type of criticism that is criticism per se and when you finished reading you realise they haven't given you one single argument to justify their views but it's just a regurgitation of a dislike of hers from a personal perspective rather than anything else

To think she's getting these positive reviews just because she's including the Latin genre, musically speaking, (which she's started doing since True Blue anyway) or that because she's singing in a Romance language with Spanish and Portuguese (just like Italian, French and Romanian are) would be inaccurate in my view

22 hours ago, Kilt said:

But even her old fans will not be able to fool her with an X for a U: in the meantime, they would probably rather prefer the quiet singer / songwriter album. But Madonna's play was never the authentic, but always the artificial character veneer. She can not do anything else. She can not think of music or the blues, she can not give a solo evening on the piano, and there is no gospel concert in the church. Her techniques were always just the cultural imperialist of Western pop, her performative capital was always her body as well - both are now exhausted.

So Madonna dances lonely from the ruins of her throne her gloomy ballet. And the young princesses celebrate in the former colonies. For them, this fairytale has a happy ending. For the queen? Who knows.

The Speigel reviewer word choice is just beyond dramatic and pretentious. 

Ugh disgusting.  Can you imagine them saying Bruce Springsteen’s body is now exhausted or his balls dried up?

Misogyny to the max.

Killers Who Are Partying

It could be the soundtrack to a sweltering, dusty and sweaty Buenos Aires straight out of the Evita days

Crave, I Dont Search I Find and the dramatic Looking For Mercy (reminiscent of Ghosttown) feature a more reassuring, classic Madonna

The more summery and care free moments are represented by Faz Gustoso, delicious electronic revisitation of a crazy samba and Bitch Im Loca which is the continuation of the party started in Medellin

https://www.vanityfair.it/music/playlist/2019/06/07/madonna-madame-x-nuovo-album

2 minutes ago, XXL said:

Killers Who Are Partying

It could be the soundtrack to a sweltering, dusty and sweaty Buenos Aires straight out of the Evita days

Crave, I Dont Search I Find and the dramatic Looking For Mercy (reminiscent of Ghosttown) feature a more reassuring, classic Madonna

The more summery and care free moments are represented by Faz Gustoso, delicious electronic revisitation of a crazy samba and Bitch Im Loca which is the continuation of the party started in Medellin

https://www.vanityfair.it/music/playlist/2019/06/07/madonna-madame-x-nuovo-album

Thank you so much!  I’m basically crying with joy about Killers Who Are Partying and Looking For Mercy descriptions!  Thank you again!

16 minutes ago, XXL said:

Killers Who Are Partying

Finally some new info about Killers, instead of the same 2 lines of lyrics. Thank you! 

I can' t wait anymore. This is gonna be an epic album. I love the diversity of the five songs.

Her artistic vision on this album is awesome.

The visuals and the album rollout makes me so excitimg so far.

We are so blessed. She delivers art and vision on every level. That's nearly 40 years into her career.

Who else of the other bitches ? No one will ever come close. Never.

9 minutes ago, alquemist said:

860x860?v=1559921098000&method=resize&cr

Finally a positive review from Germany: https://sz.de/1.4479563

Not so positive but rather a consequence of the absurd critics got from other outlets there. At least someone grasps the absurd. 

By the way, at the end of the page, the sad state of our times.... This TURD. This is what is being clapped and celebrated today. Reductive is a too gentle word. 

861FDDCA-F0E8-40CD-8178-E07EA35B56B5.jpeg

Gingergeneration warns us not to expect some  disco hits.

4 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

Gingergeneration warns us not to expect some  disco hits.

thank god

did they warn that on her previous albums too or are older female artists expected to record tacky "disco" songs?

5 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

thank god

did they warn that on her previous albums too or are older female artists expected to record tacky "disco" songs?

Yes, however the same italian website says Killers who are partying has the most catchy refrain of the album and it will probably have a nice live rendition.

1 hour ago, alquemist said:

860x860?v=1559921098000&method=resize&cr

Finally a positive review from Germany: https://sz.de/1.4479563

Positive indeed:

""Madame X" sounds as if Madonna is enjoying making music again for the first time in years, experimenting with it, and as if she relies on her intuition. On her two most recent albums, her intuition was nowhere to be felt. She was chasing the latest pop sounds. "Madame X" is Madonna rediscovering her groove."

According to the reviewer from Süddeutsche Zeiting, "Killers Who Are Partying" is the only song that isn't good.

I’m so fucking over critics feeling the need to trash her recent albums to justify liking Madame X. It’s played out.

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

I’m so fucking over critics feeling the need to trash her recent albums to justify liking Madame X. It’s played out.

They can’t seem to just review the music in front of them. It’s nearly always needlessly judged against her own catalogue and polluted with irrelevant personal attacks.

25 minutes ago, Msig said:

Positive indeed:

""Madame X" sounds as if Madonna is enjoying making music again for the first time in years, experimenting with it, and as if she relies on her intuition. On her two most recent albums, her intuition was nowhere to be felt. She was chasing the latest pop sounds. "Madame X" is Madonna rediscovering her groove."

According to the reviewer from Süddeutsche Zeiting, "Killers Who Are Partying" is the only song that isn't good.

It´s a really good review.