MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

4 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

True. Germany loves Madonna. Even those who hate to admit it.

:thumbsup:

I think most among the GP in any country generally truly love Madonna and are fascinated by her, not everyone likes her but virtually everyone is aware of her and has an opinion on her, it's more a narrative created by the media whether they love to underline her age, the false fact that "through ambition and determination she compensated her modest talent" or that she's desperate whatever

4 hours ago, Kilt said:

. Her techniques were always just the cultural imperialist of Western pop, her performative capital was always her body as well - both are now exhausted.

i'm not an M apologist and i'll tell you if i think she's done something subpar but this is honestly one of the nastiest "reviews" i've ever seen directed at anyone.

That line stopped me in my tracks, I hope she never comes across it. Cruel and uncalled for.

Im confused on why the Entertainment Weekly review gave her a B- but that translates to a 67 on metacritic. I understand they weigh different publications differently but thats for the average. Wouldnt a B- be more like a 75 or something? 

Guest Future feat Quavo
2 hours ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

Im confused on why the Entertainment Weekly review gave her a B- but that translates to a 67 on metacritic. I understand they weigh different publications differently but thats for the average. Wouldnt a B- be more like a 75 or something? 

B is a 75, B+ is an 83 and B- is a 67

https://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores

7 hours ago, justinian said:

She might be most successful....but strangely  her number ones in Germany only 4: la Isla bonita, american pie, hung up and 4 minutes

Well Janet Jackson has ZERO #1 hits in Germany

God was she a local star

13 hours ago, kubi said:

Why do German media dislike her so much? Hilariously I have a few friends there who are massive fans. Like homegurl changes his Instagram handle to reflect his Madonna mood, lol.

Germany is big Eurovision loony, so her performance there just put gasoline to these "reviewers" negative fire

Nothing to do with the album itself, of course

14 hours ago, Jim34 said:

The hate she gets from the critics here in Germany is crazy! They tear her and the album in peaces. Quite shocking for me. The critics are out of Control. Like they waited for this moment for years.

They are probably embarrassed for their negative reviews when they see the overwhelming positive feedback from her latest video

On 6/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, Kilt said:

Let's cleanse this negativity with some Maluma

bitter taste gone for now. thanks, maluma. and for posting this. 🙂

45 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

Germany is big Eurovision loony, so her performance there just put gasoline to these "reviewers" negative fire

Nothing to do with the album itself, of course

Thank God for their 0 points!

I haven't read any review from French medias yet. For the past few years, the French press has been quite negative with Madonna...

Hope they will put aside all the ageist comments and her personal life, and just focus on the only important thing: the music.

44 minutes ago, TheRainbowKid said:

I haven't read any review from French medias yet. For the past few years, the French press has been quite negative with Madonna...

Hope they will put aside all the ageist comments and her personal life, and just focus on the only important thing: the music.

The French people really loved American Life

MadonnaTribe reports that the Italian press was invited to listen to Madame X yesterday, and their reviews have started appearing:

Vanity Fair Italia: Very positive. The reviewer says that not everyone is gonna like it.

Rockol: Mixed. The reviewers seems most impressed by "Come Alive" and "Faz Gostoso".

Il Manifesto: Very positive.

Ansa: Rather objective/neutral in its descriptions of the songs, but feels generally favourable.

La Presse: Very positive. The reviewer describes  "Dark Ballet" and "Extreme Occident" as 'successful experiments', and mentions "Killers Who Are Partying" as a highlight.

Paolo Giordano: Very positive. He mentions "Batuka" as one of the best songs on the album. 

Pickline: Mixed. "Crave", "Crazy", "I Rise", "God Control" and Faz Gostoso" are mentioned as highlights.

GingerGeneration: Generally favourable. The reviewer seems most impressed by "I Don't Search I Find", "Killers Who Are Partying", "Bitch I'm Loca" and"Faz Gostoso".

6 minutes ago, Msig said:

MadonnaTribe reports that the Italian press was invited to listen to Madame X yesterday, and their reviews have started appearing:

Vanity Fair Italia: Very positive. The reviewer says that not everyone is gonna like it.

Rockol: Mixed. The reviewers seems most impressed by "Come Alive" and "Faz Gostoso".

Il Manifesto: Very positive.

Ansa: Rather objective/neutral in its descriptions of the songs, but feels generally favourable.

La Presse: Very positive. The reviewer describes  "Dark Ballet" and "Extreme Occident" as 'successful experiments', and mentions "Killers Who Are Partying" as a highlight.

Paolo Giordano: Very positive. He mentions "Batuka" as one of the best songs on the album. 

Pickline: Mixed. "Crave", "Crazy", "I Rise", "God Control" and Faz Gostoso" are mentioned as highlights.

GingerGeneration: Generally favourable. The reviewer seems most impressed by "I Don't Search I Find", "Killers Who Are Partying", "Bitch I'm Loca" and"Faz Gostoso".

Nice! :brenspin:

That's good news. So interesting that the reviews vary massively between countries. And in Italy, every paper seem to highlight a different song which is also great! Killers who are partying not very favourable with the Brits, popular in  Italy.

Faz Gostoso seems to be generally very well received... I'm curious because I don't think the original is all that great, I hope they took it to a whole different place

Also I'm so intrigued by the descriptions of God Control and Batuka!

I can't wait for more detailed track by track reviews to appear (hopefully before the album drops/leaks)! Reading them drives up my adrenaline and is my favorite "waiting-for-the-album" activity.

I recognized the negative press reviews here in Germany as well but I don't even read them because they are so unimportant to me. It even bothers me that these people get the chance to listen to the album so much in advance, completely undeserved.

Maybe the negative press has something to do with Madonna having done no live performances since 2005, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Crux said:

It's interesting that Paolo Giordano says "Batuka" is one of the best songs on the album. Can't wait to hear that one.

His review is as close to a rave fest about her as you could get. He's saying this is positively her best work in over a decade and that Madonna has managed to do the impossible. Remain herself while changing everything at the same time yet not making it feel like it would be an unnatural or unbecoming move on her part. Musically speaking, "she sits firmly on her well deserved throne".

"Madame X is a complex, pressing, syncopated, albeit too homogeneous at times album, although there are so many interesting stylistic variations and twists and turns that materialize when you least expect it. But most of all you have the greatest twist ever: the rebirth of an icon who is the same yet anew at the same time. My hat's off to her"

He also praises her for singing in three languages and for the Latin dimension of this new work. It's unlike anything pertaining to the Latin category you hear on radio these days. He says Madonna's interpretation and take on Latin music is much more profound and eclectic.

The album as a whole feels like a trip around the world and back in 15 songs and that it's filled with refined musical citations, references and homages done with extreme elegance.

He mentions the "composed use" of autotune on the album and the vocal effects, it's not been overdone and praises the music arrangements which he says are flattering to Madonna's vocal extension

22 minutes ago, XXL said:

He also praises her for singing in three languages and for the Latin dimension of this new work. It's unlike anything pertaining to the Latin category you hear on radio these days. He says Madonna's interpretation and take on Latin music is much more profound and eclectic.

The album as a whole feels like a trip around the world in 15 songs and that it's filled with refined musical citations, references and homages done with extreme elegance.

He mentions the "composed use" of autotune on the album and the vocal effects, it's not been overdone and praises the music arrangements which he says are flattering to Madonna's vocal extension

Fantastico!!! 

1 minute ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

Music was no 1 in Germany 🤗

The single Music was not numer one in Germany. But the album

Makes sense that Italy is happy with the album but Germany seems to hate it.

It all comes down to the fact that this record will cater more to Latin audiences and romances languages, so Latin America, Spain, Portugal, Italy and maybe France.